Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 10:32 PM

999 posts, read 2,011,560 times

Advertisements

BigCity Nightmare,

Oh wait, DC is the place with superior values?

Corporate lobbyists who milk every dollar from the public treasury so their clients can get the fat subsidies from Uncle Sam? Corporate lobbyists who can persuade Congressmen to get tax-breaks and regulation relief for their clients so public education, transportation and utility infrastructure networks, health care for the uninsured, and the safety and collective bargaining rights of workers crumble into dust.

A military-industrial complex so bloated in the region that we have people in DC living on the streets eating out of dumpsters, young people dying from AIDS, poor kids with no access to quality education and an expanding income inequality that would rival a South American city. We have all of the tax-payer money to design the latest electronic surveillance network or attack drone craft and nothing to help the struggling local population. ALL GUNS AND NO BUTTER! The Pentagon and Homeland Security contractors get rich and buy expensive properties in McLean, VA while our social infrastructure is on the brink of collapse. Nice.

A region where race and economic outcomes are so well defined together. It's embarrassing that a capital of one of the most powerful nation's on Earth has such wealth inequality between white and black populations. It's amazing that don't we have another 1968 style riot in DC today.

So f(bleep) yeah, DC has the shi(bleep)est values in the United States of America. Not even Detroit, New Orleans, Newark, Buffalo, Cleveland and Stockton, CA would stoop so low when it comes to "VALUES". Better to be struggling poor trying to maintain what's left of the community than sell your soul to the Devil for a profit made in blood and a beautiful abode in DC.

But that's your BigCity Nightmare choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
What values and mannerisms would those be? Are those the same values and mannerisms that led your hometown into such a crappy state that you had to leave it for a job?

Home is where the heart is. But home is also where you can make a living, lay down roots and raise a family. "If DC's economy wasn't so good, then I would be outta here before you can say when."

Well, duh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 10:41 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,576,476 times
How are homeless people in DC any more affected by what the "military-industrial complex" does than homeless people in San Francisco, New York, Detroit, or any other US city? It's all the same federal government.

This bizarre conflation of federal politics and local DC politics is just that, bizarre. But I guess logic never got in the way of coldbliss before, so why now?

Old 07-18-2012, 01:53 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by life time student View Post
Would you want to live in the DC area if it were for better job prospects here?
Well, the jobs in DC ARE what the allure is.

It's a circular argument to take the #1 allure out of the equation.

"If Denver didn't have mountains, would you want to move to Denver?" Of course some would say 'yes' because the mountains are irrelevant, but for many, that's what moving to Denver is all about.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:43 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,534,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Well, the jobs in DC ARE what the allure is.

It's a circular argument to take the #1 allure out of the equation.

"If Denver didn't have mountains, would you want to move to Denver?" Of course some would say 'yes' because the mountains are irrelevant, but for many, that's what moving to Denver is all about.
Unfortunately in today's capitalistic structure, work/ job is the most important thing since that is what funds our basic needs of food and shelter. I mean I would love to live in Denver over DC anytime of the day but the mountains will not feed you. Especially in this crappy economy and in a declining USA, it becomes all the more important.

I am sure many would love to live elsewhere but the harsh reality of the necessity to make a living to survive forces us to stay put. Its not like we can go open a farm and grow our own food, and thus live anyplace we desire.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:07 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
Unfortunately in today's capitalistic structure, work/ job is the most important thing since that is what funds our basic needs of food and shelter. I mean I would love to live in Denver over DC anytime of the day but the mountains will not feed you. Especially in this crappy economy and in a declining USA, it becomes all the more important.

I am sure many would love to live elsewhere but the harsh reality of the necessity to make a living to survive forces us to stay put. Its not like we can go open a farm and grow our own food, and thus live anyplace we desire.
The reality is that 360 million Americans live in a multitude of different areas, and there are multitudes of income levels, and multitudes ways of making a living.

If you feel like your stuck in DC, than you're possibly too accustomed to a certain income/lifestyle you're unwilling to give up.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:26 PM

999 posts, read 2,011,560 times
That's right. Because we have to surrender the bulk of lives to labor for a capitalist owner, we are not a free people. But you are wrong about self-sufficiency. There are movements spreading around the country where communities are growing their own food, building their own shelter and try to unplug from modern civilization as much as possible.

I think a world without a market economy and without a government is possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post

Old 07-19-2012, 09:55 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
^ then the feds will always show up and ask for 33 1/3.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:12 PM

155 posts, read 310,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
A military-industrial complex so bloated in the region that we have . . . poor kids with no access to quality education and an expanding income inequality that would rival a South American city.
In DC, the poor inner city kids have no access to a free public quality education. They do seem to have access to time and funds to spend at the Fashion Centre mall in Pentagon City, sometimes pushing their own babies around in strollers. Maybe they have grandmother's money to spend, if she has a union job working for DC government or the Federal government? Or they have money from criminal activity, without paying any income tax?

I like DC. I would live here even if the job market wasn't as great. I enjoy taking public transportation instead of driving. It is a different lifestyle. Then, we each must share our own personal 12-inch acceptable, socially-normed private space with total strangers, on a daily basis. I often interact with people here that would be much easier to avoid if not for public transit.

If not for the annoying people during the commute, and if people here didn't decide to hate anyone from a different political party, DC would be a great place to live.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:46 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
^ how u gonna hate on inner-city kids like that tho?

while you're wasting time hating, some of them
are out getting money to pay for their nice clothes.
they're not worrying about what you think of them.
if you were one of them, you probably wouldn't
make it with that attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC