Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 10:00 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
Thats true. In every big city people ask me what I do for a living. Its a way for people to judge how smart you are and if you are in the same level.
Or it's just another topic of conversation about how you spend a significant amount of your life that most people can engage in without judgement or insecurity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 04:41 AM

708 posts, read 1,205,558 times
Quote:
Thats true. In every big city people ask me what I do for a living. Its a way for people to judge how smart you are and if you are in the same level.
Same here, but I concur that DC makes what should be an easy conversation into an employment pageant. I normally lie about my employment status when asked just to guage that persons true interest/intent.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:33 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,533,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
Same here, but I concur that DC makes what should be an easy conversation into an employment pageant. I normally lie about my employment status when asked just to guage that persons true interest/intent.
Which is ironic because most of the jobs in this area are welfare-to-work type of jobs entirely dependent on federal spending. So looks like they are proud of being on welfare.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:25 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,148 times
Quote:
Which is ironic because most of the jobs in this area are welfare-to-work type of jobs entirely dependent on federal spending. So looks like they are proud of being on welfare.
No hyperbole here, friends. You are completely right. Working at a job that you likely went to college 6+ years for in and around the federal government is completely like not working at all and collecting a paycheck. You are right on the money!

Old 10-05-2012, 10:28 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,533,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
No hyperbole here, friends. You are completely right. Working at a job that you likely went to college 6+ years for in and around the federal government is completely like not working at all and collecting a paycheck. You are right on the money!
Sorry to be brutally honest but this area ain't no Silicon Valley which makes stuff that is actually useful and beneficial to society.

For most part this is the moocher HQ of the country.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:51 AM

Yes the government is completely useless and does NOTHING good, ever! It is a 100% waste and should be totally abolished, except for maybe 100 dudes making minimum wage overseeing our military.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:07 AM

27,556 posts, read 28,647,655 times
Well, it is kind of fun watching a TSP account grow and grow and grow... thanks to the stock market rebound.

:-)

Old 10-06-2012, 09:13 AM

On a side note relating to the original topic: I will be proudly sporting my STL Cardinals cap the next week and a half. So I will report back on how friendly DC really is

Old 10-06-2012, 10:05 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,614 times
DC isn't terribly unfriendly in my opinion, but having a reverse commute and working in NoVa outside the Beltway may skew my opinion. I'm a federal employee but not the suit-n'-tie type. I work in a pretty laid back office where real work gets done yet we have fun. So far I'm pretty satisfied with my new gig(been at it around 6 mos).

When I'm in DC proper I'm usually just hanging out. I can see where there are probably a lot of smug, self-important people around these parts but thankfully, I don't cross paths with them too often. I see the people(mostly I notice the women but maybe because I'm checking them out subconciously) who are staring holes in whatever is straight ahead and walking like angry power walkers. I assume these people are those same self-important people that give DC it's rude reputation. I'm glad I'm not these people and I'm glad I don't have to deal with these people on a professional basis(dropping out of law school was a GOOD decision).

Most of the service and retail workers in this area are actually friendlier on average than the ones I dealt with in Atlanta. A high percentage seem to be immigrants in fast food places and big box stores and they seem happy to serve customers and not resentful. I also think the fact that most people are doing quite well whether it's in a "profession" or simply a job has a positive effect on peoples' attitudes. Atlanta's economy was really struggling when I was there last and you can sense that a lot of people felt "stuck" in jobs if they even had one to begin with.

So yeah, I can deal with smug attitudes here in DC. I much prefer them over passive agressiveness or downright hostility.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:18 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,574,863 times
The Washington DC metro area has 5.5 million people. Even if we greatly overestimate what people are saying in this thread and assume that 90% of all those people are lazy, paper-pushing, arrogant jerks, that still leaves over half a million normal people left over.

If you can't find good friends among that many people, the problem is you, not the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: