Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 05:51 PM
ARC ARC started this thread

181 posts, read 786,794 times

Advertisements

My H has a temporary job assignment in downtown Washington summer '08. We have 3 children and the housing in question is in/near Adam's Morgan. Is that area safe for children who are preteen/teenage??? From what I read the answer is "no." This is a temporary summer assignment and while I'd love to go with H and have my children experience DC, I just want to get a better feel for that area. Also, do the typical row houses in Adam's Morgan have backyards of any size? Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 09:36 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Adams Morgan has a high level of bars, gin joints and clubs with the obligatory hordes of drunks, cads and malcontents that patronize such establishments. It boasts some of the best if not the best nightlife in the city. Beyond the inevitable brawls, there is not much danger and I will leave it to you whether you want your kids near an imbibing culture. AM was traditionally a dodgy area, but has gentrified greatly in the last 10 or 20 years. Still there may be a bit of residual sketchiness around, but nothing common sense cannot alleviate. Noise might be your biggest concern. Bourbon Street would not be an unfair comparison.

In my observations, the houses are historic, spacious and lovely, but have little in the way of backyards. About as big as Rocky Balboa's. AM is a very urban area. But it is next to Rock Creek Park which boasts trails, biking, horseback riding, etc. The Zoo is there as well and free. And besides the booze culture, there are many great restaurants and coffee shops.

Its a cool place, but not known as a family area. Does not mean it won't work for three months or so. Ask youself if you could do three months in the French Quarter.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:26 PM

Thanks for your feedback. You gave me a good mental picture of the area. We're going to do it b/c it's just three months and what better education for my children than to spend three months in our nation's capital? But I'm glad I learned from you about the bar culture of the area. We'll spend lots of times in other parts of DC, but I'm glad I'll go in with my eyes wide open concerning the area where we'll be staying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Adams Morgan has a high level of bars, gin joints and clubs with the obligatory hordes of drunks, cads and malcontents that patronize such establishments. It boasts some of the best if not the best nightlife in the city. Beyond the inevitable brawls, there is not much danger and I will leave it to you whether you want your kids near an imbibing culture. AM was traditionally a dodgy area, but has gentrified greatly in the last 10 or 20 years. Still there may be a bit of residual sketchiness around, but nothing common sense cannot alleviate. Noise might be your biggest concern. Bourbon Street would not be an unfair comparison.

In my observations, the houses are historic, spacious and lovely, but have little in the way of backyards. About as big as Rocky Balboa's. AM is a very urban area. But it is next to Rock Creek Park which boasts trails, biking, horseback riding, etc. The Zoo is there as well and free. And besides the booze culture, there are many great restaurants and coffee shops.

Its a cool place, but not known as a family area. Does not mean it won't work for three months or so. Ask youself if you could do three months in the French Quarter.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:48 PM

No problem. Good luck.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:52 AM

9 posts, read 105,045 times
Default some date of DC

how is feeling now? If you decide to go, tell us how did think.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:53 AM

9 posts, read 105,045 times
CrimeinDC.org | Personalized Crime Map

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Murders in Maryland and D.C., 2007

I just want to say be careful and good luck.

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2018 at 03:56 AM.. Reason: 4 posts in a row merged

Old 10-09-2007, 01:39 PM

Thank you. I know about the crime in the area, but what about Biltmore Street, NW (which I assume is Adam's Morgan) - is that area sketchy or safer for a family? I know 18th street (which is just down the street from Biltmore) is where all the bars are located. We wouldn't venture down there, but does the crime and the drunks, et al spill over into the more residential areas of AM? Thanks for the links. It helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiyouyou33 View Post
I just want to say be careful and good luck.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:45 PM

Firstly, do not listen to that alarmist. Secondly, as I stated before, let the French Quarter be your comparison. Could you live on a nice, elegant street a block or two from Bourbon Street? Make the necessary adustments- NO is 24/7, whereas bars shut down between 2 and 3 am here. The French Quarter is wilder and louder than Adams Morgan.

I suspect you will hear the occassional drunken howls and perhaps once or twice find puke on your steps. That's about as menacing as it gets. Biltmore is a residential street.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:09 PM

Thanks! That keeps it all in perspective!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Firstly, do not listen to that alarmist. Secondly, as I stated before, let the French Quarter be your comparison. Could you live on a nice, elegant street a block or two from Bourbon Street? Make the necessary adustments- NO is 24/7, whereas bars shut down between 2 and 3 am here. The French Quarter is wilder and louder than Adams Morgan.

I suspect you will hear the occassional drunken howls and perhaps once or twice find puke on your steps. That's about as menacing as it gets. Biltmore is a residential street.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:16 AM

265 posts, read 1,063,596 times
Don't know where you are now, but, so you know ahead of time, it's very hot and humid in the summer here most of the time. This can put a dent in people's lifestyle who like to spend a lot of time outside in summer.
As far as crime, I don't think you have many worries as long as you're extra-careful about locking up the house when you're out and about going alone into sketchier areas, especially after dark.
Parking is a hassle in AM. Unless you have a driveway or something you will probably have to do parallel parking and there may be times you have to drive all around the area looking for a space. Make sure you get a permit asap after you arrive. Using your car less in the city is usually a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC