Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 01:17 PM

708 posts, read 1,208,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
DC will not lose any jobs if Romney is elected because very few jobs in DC depend on any particular administration. DC has a very diverse economy and the federal government is only a tiny part of it.
I agree. Also, even if you were forced to, where to start (which agency/program of record/population etc.) is almost an impossible task. I would think there would be some funding cuts but you never know....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 02:45 PM

513 posts, read 965,125 times
Regardless there will be layoffs in the DC area with Obamacare costs being passed on to employers.

Mitt cannot turnback Obamacare during the first year.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:08 PM

248 posts, read 703,158 times
I don't think it matters either way....

Obama wins, government probably will keep getting bigger = more jobs for DC area.

Romney wins, defense budget goes up = more jobs for DC area.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:45 AM

283 posts, read 449,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
as big as america is, how small do you want the government to be?
As small as possible, at least in the fields of law enforcement, the military and other annoying sections (i.e. subsidizies for banks and corporations - remove it)

Old 10-20-2012, 07:09 AM

708 posts, read 1,208,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warsie View Post
As small as possible, at least in the fields of law enforcement, the military and other annoying sections (i.e. subsidizies for banks and corporations - remove it)
I dont know if I would call them annoying, but I agree, having a large government serves no purpose, and in the end simply stifles private growth and drives debt financing/inflation. Our society isnt structured to have government owned/backed businesses and job programs....its centered around private industry and free market. Same with defense spending, we spend as much on defense as the next 9 smaller countries combined. Just no need for all of that.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:49 AM

999 posts, read 2,018,001 times
Hey Vicnice,

I have to interrupt your "Ayn Rand & Milton Friedman Save the World Against Slackers, Marxists, and Feminists" program for the following message.

Pay gap widens for federal workers, panel says - The Washington Post

So, let's sum up the federal government employment trend in the DC region:

1. Slow hiring across the board with multiple federal agencies.

2. Stagnant salaries for GS workers.

3. Budget cuts are forcing many vacant positions to REMAIN vacant in many federal agencies. In a small number of cases, the federal agencies cannot find qualified candidates to take over managerial or technical positions.

4. More job responsibilities once handled by full-time GS employees are STILL being outsourced to the private contracting industry. This trend ballooned during the George W. Bush administration and continues with full force under the Obama administration. Yes, Democrats HATE federal government workers too. The Republicans and Democrats take their marching orders from the oligarchy and corporations in this nation. Rich people don't like government. You know where this is going.

5. Private contractors get paid MORE to do the same level of work as a GS employee. Now, the private contractor workers do not A.) have the same level of job security and B.) do not have the good benefits as a full-time salaried federal government employee. However, it kind of irks me when IT contractor workers are pulling in $100,000+ in salary for programming jobs when most fed agencies cannot compete at private-sector salary levels.

Nice use of our tax dollars, huh? Well, I seem to recall that libertarians were leading proponents of privatization functions of government bureaucracy. You must be pleased with the trends right now.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:48 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,562,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
I dont know if I would call them annoying, but I agree, having a large government serves no purpose, and in the end simply stifles private growth and drives debt financing/inflation. Our society isnt structured to have government owned/backed businesses and job programs....its centered around private industry and free market. Same with defense spending, we spend as much on defense as the next 9 smaller countries combined. Just no need for all of that.
A smaller government is not what workers in the District need at this point. A large increase in government hiring inside of the Beltway would be most welcome and may begin after Inauguration.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:52 PM

126 posts, read 304,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Hey Vicnice,

I have to interrupt your "Ayn Rand & Milton Friedman Save the World Against Slackers, Marxists, and Feminists" program for the following message.

Pay gap widens for federal workers, panel says - The Washington Post

So, let's sum up the federal government employment trend in the DC region:

1. Slow hiring across the board with multiple federal agencies.

2. Stagnant salaries for GS workers.

3. Budget cuts are forcing many vacant positions to REMAIN vacant in many federal agencies. In a small number of cases, the federal agencies cannot find qualified candidates to take over managerial or technical positions.

4. More job responsibilities once handled by full-time GS employees are STILL being outsourced to the private contracting industry. This trend ballooned during the George W. Bush administration and continues with full force under the Obama administration. Yes, Democrats HATE federal government workers too. The Republicans and Democrats take their marching orders from the oligarchy and corporations in this nation. Rich people don't like government. You know where this is going.

5. Private contractors get paid MORE to do the same level of work as a GS employee. Now, the private contractor workers do not A.) have the same level of job security and B.) do not have the good benefits as a full-time salaried federal government employee. However, it kind of irks me when IT contractor workers are pulling in $100,000+ in salary for programming jobs when most fed agencies cannot compete at private-sector salary levels.

Nice use of our tax dollars, huh? Well, I seem to recall that libertarians were leading proponents of privatization functions of government bureaucracy. You must be pleased with the trends right now.

You're not accounting the fact that federal employees get amazing benefits (pensions) after their tenure is over.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:52 AM

2,514 posts, read 3,576,698 times
Well, that's a clear repudiation of the Ryan budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC