Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 07:02 AM

12,924 posts, read 18,765,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRG View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath on finding a one-bedroom apartment in Dupont for anything less than $2300. My coworker lives in Dupont in an ancient studio the size of a shoebox. She doesn't control the thermastat in her place so in the summer it's a cool 80 degrees in her place. She bikes to work because she can't afford a car or the insurance and maintenance to go with it and never goes out for lunch because she brings her own. Oh, and she doesn't have a cable either. All so she can be where all the action is in Dupont.
She sounds like she lives by my philosophy. I'm a minimalist. My idea of a good time is observing the vibrancy of a city. I enjoy things vicariously and don't care to spend my money on them. It just so happens that the least entree on a restaurant menu is the tastiest. I think restaurants do that on purpose to make money on the poor masses. And I prefer water to anything else to drink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 10:11 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,267,216 times
It can def be real, but probably not fancy but at that point, you just deal. Also, there is a high likelihood that the one bedroom is a)very small and b)does not have a "normal door" which makes it truly a jr. 1 or separated living studio.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:24 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
I know some people paying about $1500 for a 1-br in Dupont. It's not out of the question and the places I've seen are decent.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:59 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Yes, juniperbleu, that's the one. I didn't read it carefully enough. Thank you. As for my situation, right now I'm doing a lot of hurrying up and waiting on my partner who is in his last two semesters getting a degree in social work. I live on a state government pension that equals about what his first job is likely to pay. If he got a job in DC I could continue to live off my pension until I got a job.

I don't need a job where I am (Columbia, SC - a surprisingly progressive, gay-friendly city) to make ends meet comfortably, but that wouldn't be the case in DC. I'm rather young to be retired for good, though. That's my (our) situation.

Just to feel the job market out a little, I emailed my interest in a position that basically has my name written all over it. I immediately got a response asking if I had moved to the DC area already. I responded that I had not, but that I was looking to move there. I haven't heard anything since. Maybe they are out of the office because of the snow storm.

Thank you, too, htmella.
Where in Columbia do you live?

Old 03-08-2013, 04:01 PM

We're wedged in between downtown and Forest Acres, 2.5 miles from the heart of downtown.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:03 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
We're wedged in between downtown and Forest Acres, 2.5 miles from the heart of downtown.
I know the area. There used to be this restaurant called S&S that was in the mall over there. That was good food.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I know the area. There used to be this restaurant called S&S that was in the mall over there. That was good food.
They closed that location and now a restaurant called Sadie's is there. I hear it's good, too. It's locally owned.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:23 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
So what CAN you get in DC, Silver Spring, Alexandria, Arlington or elsewhere for $1,500/month insofar as a 1-BR within walking distance of the Metro is concerned?

Also, can you find a 1BR for less than that in the greater DC area that's in a nice and safe neighborhood?

I'm considering moving from LA later this year, and I'm soliciting opinions on what I should expect to shell out per month in rent.

Thanks!

Old 03-17-2013, 05:53 PM

199 posts, read 334,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
So what CAN you get in DC, Silver Spring, Alexandria, Arlington or elsewhere for $1,500/month insofar as a 1-BR within walking distance of the Metro is concerned?

Also, can you find a 1BR for less than that in the greater DC area that's in a nice and safe neighborhood?

I'm considering moving from LA later this year, and I'm soliciting opinions on what I should expect to shell out per month in rent.

Thanks!
You're more likely to find a good studio at that price point in those areas with those stipulations. If you're willing to be a little further away from the Metro (>= 1/2 of a mile) and in an older building, finding a 1 BR at 1500/month becomes a lot more doable.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:16 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
Thanks for the quick reply. I've also noticed that many Metro stations have no parking at all. Was that a design flaw on the part of the folks who created the route maps for the various lines?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC