Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 04:26 PM

40 posts, read 259,756 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I just moved to the DC area and have been living here for about 3 weeks. I just bought a bus ticket to go to NYC for New Years Eve. The greyhound station is at 1005 1st st NE... Which looks like its a short walk from the metro station. (I don't have a car here)

I am worried about my safety in this area. I will be coming back from NYC when it will be dark out already, but before 7pm. I have to walk from the bus stop to the metro and am a little worried...

Should I be concerned or is this no big deal? Should I take a cab from the bus station to the metro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 08:09 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
Don't go, You'll be murdered. Seriously, there is a lot of pedestrian and car traffic in that neighborhood. Bus stations do tend to attract some undesirables but you'll be fine. Just keep your wits. Its only a block from NY ave Station and a two block walk to Union Station.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:08 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
It's no big deal, as <dc's finest> has said. It's two kind of long blocks to Union Station (south on 1st Street), and while it isn't Foxhall or Upper Georgetown, it's not any high risk area either, and at 7:00 pm, there will still be day-time people moving about. Unless you've got lots of luggage, a cab isn't called for...plus you'd get that you-called-a-cab-to-go-two-blocks? look from the cabbie...

Old 12-17-2007, 09:29 AM

741 posts, read 2,780,922 times
just walk to the station it's not far it's not a problem. Also have you heard of the chinatown bus services between NY and DC? I see people lining up for them all over chinatown, the buses are dirt cheap (I am not sure how safe they are) but they are extremely popular. You get in and off them at both Chinatowns in NYC and DC.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:38 AM

They're cheap alright. $20 one-way and $35 round-trip. But it's a crap shoot. Sometimes the bus shows up when it's supposed to. Sometimes it doesn't show up at all. Maybe it's been inspected and well-maintained, maybe not. Maybe the driver is competent and well-rested, or ??? They actually come and go from other places besides Chinatown. They have a website...

Old 12-17-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
They're cheap alright. $20 one-way and $35 round-trip. But it's a crap shoot. Sometimes the bus shows up when it's supposed to. Sometimes it doesn't show up at all. Maybe it's been inspected and well-maintained, maybe not. Maybe the driver is competent and well-rested, or ??? They actually come and go from other places besides Chinatown. They have a website...
There was a really good article on the Post about them. Yeah those are the complaints I have heard, I can't comment cause I haven't taken them. However the Gallery place area is easier on the eyes then say Greyhound if that makes the poster more comfortable. It's quite a racket that service I must admit... there's some other ones that even drop people out in certain neighborhoods (not Chinese operated).

Old 12-17-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakawhat View Post
There was a really good article on the Post about them.
Yes, I saw it. One of the 'stops' is at 15th and K, and as I am a fan of the take-out goodies at Sizzling Express which is on the K Street side of that corner, I've taken the opportunity when down that way to ask some folks in the bus line about the service. Upshot seems to be that the price is so good that whatever else doesn't really matter all that much, plus it's plenty good enough anyway. From what I've seen of the drivers and equipment myself, I wouldn't have any reason to doubt that it's just a good bargain. But I never crawl around to check the brakes or hydraulic lines, either...

Old 12-17-2007, 11:06 AM

I always see them getting on at Matchbox pizza.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:46 PM

40 posts, read 259,756 times
Thanks for the replies....I actually got this greyhound ticket for $35 round trip which I thought was amazing as well.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:37 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,394,538 times
I'm surprised to hear about Greyhound being $35 round-trip. Whenever I've looked in the past, it's clocked in closer to $70. I'm doing the NYC-DC trip this Xmas and just booked tickets with Vamoose Bus which goes to/from Penn Station in NYC and has drop offs by Bethesda Metro and Rosslyn Metro. The cost is $50, cash or check only (although you pay on the bus, reservations don't cost anything). I might check out some of these other buses in the future, although for me since I'm heading out to Loudoun County, a location like Bethesda is actually more convenient than going into DC, so I save a couple bucks on Metro tickets once I arrive and in the end, the difference in price is only $5-10 from the Chinatown buses. Of course, I'm not sure how reliable these Vamoose buses are either, but I'll find out soon enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: