Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 10:48 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,942,856 times

Advertisements

So as the title states, how does the DC metro compare to other metro systems in places like San Fran, NYC, Boston,etc....

Also how is the art scene in DC? By that I don't just mean visual art, but also low key things like poetry gatherings, small and local bands playing often, art walks, avant-garde/experimental art,etc... I'm just wondering since I don't know how well DC is growing when it comes to cultural events aside from bars and the go-get-drunk type nightlife.

My last question is related to the above, but since DC is the nations capital and it's been growing for around the past 20 years or so, do you think it can also become a cultural capital considering it has (growing)economic and political power. What I mean in this regard is things like mass media, fashion, finance,etc...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 02:31 PM

687 posts, read 1,376,670 times
The Washington area subway system has the second highest number of daily passengers. New York City is number one. The Washington subway was designed to transport workers from their homes in the Maryland and Virginia suburbs to their jobs in downtown Washington. As a result there are not that many stations in Washington compared to cities like New York and London where there are stations within a five minute walk of anyplace in the city.

The District of Columbia is the headquarters for the United States government and as such is very serious and conservative. It does not have an art scene other than the Smithsonian and other museums. If you want art or media then go to NYC or Los Angeles. Every city has its own culture and industries. Why do some people feel the need to change this.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:18 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,573,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
The Washington area subway system has the second highest number of daily passengers. New York City is number one. The Washington subway was designed to transport workers from their homes in the Maryland and Virginia suburbs to their jobs in downtown Washington. As a result there are not that many stations in Washington compared to cities like New York and London where there are stations within a five minute walk of anyplace in the city.

The District of Columbia is the headquarters for the United States government and as such is very serious and conservative. It does not have an art scene other than the Smithsonian and other museums. If you want art or media then go to NYC or Los Angeles. Every city has its own culture and industries. Why do some people feel the need to change this.
Very misleading post. No art scene other than museums? Just because DC's arts scene is smaller than scenes in other large cities doesn't mean it is non-existent. Just go to the calendar on the Washington Post's Going Out Guide calendar and you will find numerous art shows at local galleries every week.

Also, there is a local music scene, which I would count under "arts". Read this: Best Up and Coming Bands in D.C.: DCist

In addition, to say you need to go to NYC or LA for media is incredibly wrong. DC is a HUGE media capital. There are more journalists per capita here than in NYC. I don't have the data for that at my fingertips right now but it is from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. I looked it up last year.

Last edited by stateofnature; 03-08-2013 at 03:30 PM..

Old 03-08-2013, 04:20 PM

161 posts, read 394,876 times
Have to agree with stateofnature on that last point about DC having an art scene. When I first moved here, I think I posted a similar thing on this forum about where to hang out and where to meet other artsy people/art lovers. No one really knew, although I got a few good pointers. After exploring the city on my own, I've come to realize how much DC has to offer art wise. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't really done their research. There's a really great sense of community and it's growing by the day. If you want specific names of places (galleries, go to spots, etc) feel free to PM me! I tend to go to more visual arts events, so I can speak more to those kinds of venues more so than poetry/music events.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:15 PM

12,883 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Quote:

Really? No art scene besides the Mall stuff? I live in Columbia, South Carolina, and there is a strong local art scene here, and it is a quality one. I have to believe DC has one, too.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:43 PM

27,549 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
So as the title states, how does the DC metro compare to other metro systems in places like San Fran, NYC, Boston,etc....

Also how is the art scene in DC? By that I don't just mean visual art, but also low key things like poetry gatherings, small and local bands playing often, art walks, avant-garde/experimental art,etc... I'm just wondering since I don't know how well DC is growing when it comes to cultural events aside from bars and the go-get-drunk type nightlife.

My last question is related to the above, but since DC is the nations capital and it's been growing for around the past 20 years or so, do you think it can also become a cultural capital considering it has (growing)economic and political power. What I mean in this regard is things like mass media, fashion, finance,etc...?
The metrorail system in Washington, D.C is, by most measures, the #2 system in the U.S. as a previous poster stated. Plus, 23 miles of brand new construction are happening in northern Virginia as we speak. However, if we're talking about total heavy rail (not just metro) in the city, then Chicago probably comes out ahead of DC in terms of extent of coverage and number of stations.

The Smithsonian museums and Art Gallery are top-rated globally. I would say that the local art and music scene in DC is a healthy and growing one - a lot of local bands, art shows and things like that. However, DC is certainly not "famous" for this in the same way that New York City or Los Angeles is. The same with media, fashion and finance. The economy in DC is centered around the federal government at its core and much of the private sector here is ultimately related to the government in some way. It has a highly educated, white-collar workforce that generates a lot of money flowing in the economy.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:44 AM

41 posts, read 96,100 times
Quote:

I have no idea why I got so irritated with this post, but this is completely misleading. Washington DC, has an art scene. All you have to do is look it up. DC is not known for it's art outside of the museum, but you have to be an idiot to think that DC is simply a gray and black political city, and is without one. I am a very creative/artsy person if you will, I don't know what I'd do with out my Visual/performing arts lol.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:23 PM

27,549 posts, read 28,630,498 times
BTW, the top 6 cities for public transportation (including heavy rail, light rail and buses) in the U.S. based on numerous discussions I've seen on C-D and elsewhere:

New York City

Chicago

Washington, D.C.

Boston

Philadelphia

San Francisco

Old 03-12-2013, 11:22 AM

687 posts, read 1,376,670 times
Don't ya love how all these people have to defend DC's art scene but they can't name anything specific. Where are all these art studios and performance spaces you speak so highly of?

Old 03-12-2013, 11:32 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
Quote:
Don't ya love how all these people have to defend DC's art scene but they can't name anything specific. Where are all these art studios and performance spaces you speak so highly of?
Why should anyone in DC have to defend the city against attacks by ignorant outsiders?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: