Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2012, 10:17 AM

91 posts, read 286,192 times

Advertisements

I know this sounds like a dumb question, but I'm new to the area.

I understand the MetroRail at this point, but haven't used the bus system.

So do you pay cash to ride the bus? How do you know how much your fare is going to be? Or is it just the flat $1.70 fee?

Thanks in advance . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 10:20 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,579,699 times
The answers to all these questions and more are at Metro's website.
Metro - Fares - Metrobus

Old 04-25-2012, 10:23 AM

Ah well thank you, I've been on that site for the last hour trying to figure it out, which is why I reached out for help....

I'm from a small town. I've never been on a bus in my life...

Old 04-25-2012, 10:38 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,461,820 times
The vast majority of buses are going to be $1.70. The ones that aren't are noted on that WMATA site. You can feed your cash and change into a machine right as you board the bus.

You'll see people swiping a 'smartrip' card, but it costs $5, and I don't think it would be worth buying one if you're just visiting.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:24 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,702,901 times
Buses are $1.70 in cash except for certain express buses and the airport buses. $1.50 with a SmarTrip card AND you get transfers for 2 hours, meaning you can board multiple buses of equal or lesser value at no additional cost for 2 hours after boarding a bus.

So let's say I get on a bus at 2PM. From 2PM to 4PM I can get on any number of buses for free. If I get on to an express or airplane bus then I only pay the difference between that fare and $1.50. The DC Circulator buses are $1 so if you get on one of those first and then a Metrobus you'll have to pay $.50.

I highly recommend getting a SmarTrip card. You can get them at almost any CVS Pharmacy, and at the Metro Center station. They cost $10 ($5 for the card and $5 of fare pre-loaded). You can register it online and add money that way, or add money in Metro stations and on buses. Super useful. I imagine I've saved quite a bit of money over the last few years by using it instead of cash.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:43 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,183,339 times
You'll find lots of people from big cities that haven't been on a bus, esepcially in places like L.A. where cars rule.

I lived in the DC area, but seldom took buses, except for Montgomery County Ride-On buses for short hops betweenhome and the nearest Metro Rail station. Rail cost more but I preferred it (especially since buses stop so much and some bus stops aren't covered). However, sometimes a bus it's your only or at least best choice.

BTW, you refer to "the" bus system, and since you posted on the DC forum we assume you mean Metro bus. But there are local systems, as well, especially for speciall commuter runs connecing to rail stations, etc.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:15 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,494,744 times
I used to get rid of all my pennies on the bus much to the chagrine of the driver, once I tried to put in $4 worth of pennies in there and I was halfway through when the driver went "Woah! Woah! Woah! Just take a seat man."

Old 04-26-2012, 04:40 PM

Thank all of yall for being so kind to explain to me how it works! That helps me out greatly!

Old 04-26-2012, 04:50 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,843,493 times
Did someone mention bringing exact change (or bills) if you pay the machine? Drivers do not handle money or make change.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:28 AM

2,504 posts, read 3,550,887 times
If you're new here and don't already have a SmarTrip card, get one now. Not only do you get transfers, as Hurricane mentions, but the surcharge for boarding Metrorail or Metrobus without a SmarTrip card is going to go up this summer as part of the fare increase. It's also faster than dealing with cash, and you don't have to worry about having exact change.

You can board any local bus (any bus around here or even Baltimore's buses) with a SmarTrip card, and you can even add fare to your card on board the bus (although please do that after everyone else has boarded) -- or add fare online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC