Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 01:42 PM

32,088 posts, read 34,686,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
But I'm trying to understand why you're so consumed with rage about it. I've seen you use an overtly racist phrase against another poster on here so I'm trying to understand the root of your bigotry - whether it's based on direct experience in low-income black communities or if you live in a very non low-income black community where you have come to believe they represent some political talking point.

Given your passion for this subject, I assume you've done extensive research into understanding the complexities of a culture that still has millions of individuals alive who could not drink from certain water fountains or marry who they loved if that person had a different skin color. We've come a long way to correcting such oppression forced upon them by other ethnicities, but you must know that the repercussions of oppression that deep and entrenched don't disappear in a matter of decades.
I've only seen him post on topics involving race, particularly topics involving African Americans. No posts on Public Transit. Architecture. Urban Planning. History. Restaurants. Skylines. Women. Real estate. Sports. It's always this one topic.

But hey, at least he's consistent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 01:44 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,400,569 times
forget about it.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:00 PM

465 posts, read 928,172 times
Quote:
Given your passion for this subject, I assume you've done extensive research into understanding the complexities of a culture that still has millions of individuals alive who could not drink from certain water fountains or marry who they loved if that person had a different skin color. We've come a long way to correcting such oppression forced upon them by other ethnicities, but you must know that the repercussions of oppression that deep and entrenched don't disappear in a matter of decades.
That's such a cop out excuse, and you know it. Many non-whites come here, speaking less, having less, experiencing racism, and have upward mobility that would make Al Sharpton spin like a top. When the black illegitimacy rate is 80% in the year 2200 and there's still a disproportionate incarceration rate, your great descendants will still be saying 'lol, slavery' as a justification when Vietnamese or Korean immigrants have done more in 15 years than the black community has in how many generations?

Old 03-18-2013, 02:15 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerstars View Post
That's such a cop out excuse, and you know it. Many non-whites come here, speaking less, having less, experiencing racism, and have upward mobility that would make Al Sharpton spin like a top. When the black illegitimacy rate is 80% in the year 2200 and there's still a disproportionate incarceration rate, your great descendants will still be saying 'lol, slavery' as a justification when Vietnamese or Korean immigrants have done more in 15 years than the black community has in how many generations?

1. immigration is selective - the less ambitious tend to stay home

2. Immigrants come with families and traditions intact - slavery broke one set, then the heroin epidemic and unemployment in the 1930s broke another set.

3. People who have been here for 300 years, whose ancestors helped build the country, may feel just a bit more entitled than folks who just arrived - not without some legitimacy

4. There has in fact been considerable social and economic progress by african americans in the last 50 years. Of course most of the upwardly mobile have left central cities like DC. Judging African Americans by the residents of Sumsum Corda rather than, say folks living in Charles or PWC or the better parts of PG (or for that matter black yuppies in DC), would be akin to judging Irish Americans when I was growing up by people still living in the bowery, rather than say folks on long island.

5. Why do you say slavery, when the post you quoted explicity referenced Jim Crow which was still in effect in the 1950s?

6. I would respectfully suggest that VN and Koreans have not experienced the same level of discrimination in this country as african americans have.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:30 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,400,569 times
i guess that other guy really thinks he knows it all.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:43 PM

18 posts, read 25,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
Why not? I don't get how people can honestly be upset that the crime is being outpriced of the city. People have shown that they'll pay a premium for spots close to the city. If the people currently occupying those spots contributed to society rather than crime statistics, they would be in the position to pay those prices as well.
I will be upset when crime is being forced into Maryland so ppl in DC can have their Yoga Studios and enjoy their cafe lattes in a hipster coffe shop. I will be upset because when "crime is being priced out" and in the process make PG County look like a war zone. The peopel of Maryland and PG did not ask for this.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:47 PM

465 posts, read 928,172 times
Quote:
I would respectfully suggest that VN and Koreans have not experienced the same level of discrimination in this country as african americans have.
Historically? Maybe not. Nowadays, probably even moreso. Many VN and Korean have experienced a level of poverty and want that poor blacks in America can't even fathom.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:00 PM

939 posts, read 1,892,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDMV View Post
I will be upset when crime is being forced into Maryland so ppl in DC can have their Yoga Studios and enjoy their cafe lattes in a hipster coffe shop. I will be upset because when "crime is being priced out" and in the process make PG County look like a war zone. The peopel of Maryland and PG did not ask for this.
PG is the natural release valve, as it's already the cheapest outside of DC. Why is it already the cheapest? Because of the high crime rates and horrible schools. Why does it have high crime rates and horrible schools? Well, let's just say this isn't the proper venue to discuss that.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:12 PM

18 posts, read 25,428 times
[quote=brooklynborndad;28723383]1. immigration is selective - the less ambitious tend to stay home

I am not sure where you got that from but you have all type of immigrants in this country. From the affleunt immigrants with high education to ones who have zero education. I am not sure if you are aware of the Green Crard lottery program where many immigrants are given a green card regardless of their education, social status, religion. age etc.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:26 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,703,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerstars View Post
Native Americans and black Americans have an entirely different history in this country than voluntary immigrants. The persistent, multi-generational problems in Native American communities is fundamentally no different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: