Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 07:45 AM

37 posts, read 89,416 times

Advertisements

Anyone else notice how weak DC radio has become for hip hop and go-go? 95.5 I guess decided to cater to a new crowd but they seem to be more of a dance/top 40 station and it's just terrible. 93.9 is a little better, but still 99% of the time they play the same crap over and over again.

DC hip hop radio now is just Drake, drake, and more drake, Future, 2 chainz or some other garbage. I feel like other city stations try to play more old school hip hop even during regular hours, and also play more grimy stuff. I would say even 92Q in Bmore is better and they play a more mix of things.

And of course go-go is completely off the map, unless u happen to be driving on a Sunday night. Back in the day PGC used to crank a ton of go-go. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but they could at least try a little more to play it, especially stuff from the 90s.

Even when KYS fm plays some more classic stuff it's ALWAYS the same few songs...songs like Juicy or I get around or Can't You see. I mean come on, there were tons of good songs from back then, why not mix it up, maybe theyre just lazy.

These days I see little reason to even listen to regular radio (I know 89.3 sometimes plays some underground stuff) and should just switch to XM/sirius. KYS fm and PGC cater to the skinny jean lil wayne wanna be crowd, and teenage girls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 08:19 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,364 times
Digital media happened. Next question.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:54 AM

81 posts, read 216,886 times
This has been happening to radio stations of almost all genres across the country. Very little local flavor anymore. Many stations air syndicated shows now which only have about 10 songs in rotation in a given week.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:32 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,400,569 times
radio is too commercialized and watered down now because only a few, if not that many, antennas are competing with each other. it's been consolidated and monoploized.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:07 AM

658 posts, read 1,893,780 times
Do none of the colleges/universities here have radio stations - tho their power output is probably a bit low to hear all over DC...just curious.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:22 PM

354 posts, read 784,954 times
our radio stations do suck and i use to fill like it was the worst till i started to travel to other cities and their stations suck too..they all play the same garbage.

95.5 plays alternative and pop music now, 93.9 is the only true hiphop station left in DC and they play gogo like the last few mins before 10pm..it went from playing gogo a whole hour to 30mins to now like 15mins. 92Q is probably the best station i have heard in all the cities i goto..they play same garbage but will give u a good mix of old hiphop, grimey/gangsta rap, east coast, west, and south.

what station is 89.3? is that Howard U's station?

Old 03-22-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2PG View Post
our radio stations do suck and i use to fill like it was the worst till i started to travel to other cities and their stations suck too..they all play the same garbage.

95.5 plays alternative and pop music now, 93.9 is the only true hiphop station left in DC and they play gogo like the last few mins before 10pm..it went from playing gogo a whole hour to 30mins to now like 15mins. 92Q is probably the best station i have heard in all the cities i goto..they play same garbage but will give u a good mix of old hiphop, grimey/gangsta rap, east coast, west, and south.

what station is 89.3? is that Howard U's station?
89.3 is WPFW. It's both news and music. At night they play mostly jazz, but on certain nights they play african, carribean, funk and also hip hop. Sometimes I'll turn it on randomly theyll be playing something like old Nas or Mobb Deep.

I agree nationwide it's all watered down, but I feel DC's is even worse than most others. I definitely listen to 92Q more than the DC stations these days, although i can only take so much of that bmore club music. yea i guess it's safe to say go-go is all but gone from the radio.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:36 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,400,569 times
it seems like america is trying to go back to the 1950s or something.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaChip3 View Post
This has been happening to radio stations of almost all genres across the country. Very little local flavor anymore. Many stations air syndicated shows now which only have about 10 songs in rotation in a given week.
That might be what is the most irritating. The rotation of the same few songs. At least mix it up a little. not sure how a radio host keeps his/her sanity by pretending every 5 mins to be hyped by the same chris brown or rihanna song.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:01 PM

81 posts, read 216,886 times
You might think about giving satellite radio a try. I have it in my car and haven't listened to the regular radio in 2 years since getting it. The 1 downside is that I can't name one popular song right now (don't know any new Drake, Rihanna, Nicki Minaj stuff) but maybe that's not necessarily a bad thing!

My husband is a huge music lover and listens to BBC radio at work. I think they may play a much bigger variety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC