Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 06:20 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
People weren't conditioned to accept military involvement, de facto marshall law and warrentless home invasions at that time. Time and TSA has changed that. We comply without a sqeak now.
Come on. I find these dark conspiracies so disrespectful to the law enforcement putting themselves at extreme risk for us.

The terrorists were literally racing through the streets throwing bombs. Police were in all out shoot outs in the middle of residential neighborhoods. They had no idea where they would go. Isn't it common sense to tell people to stay out of the way so the police don't have to worry about gunning down some grandma walking her dog?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 07:30 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
I think it's common sense, but not for the entire Boston Metro area.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:23 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
i don't know. boston was small time compared to the snipers.
the media just blew that one all out of proportion. sympathy
to the people that died and got hurt tho still.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:41 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,152,716 times
I don't know about it being blown out of proportion. A bombing at the Boston Marathon is a pretty big deal, killed 3, hurt hundreds, people got amputated, lost limbs, etc. It's probably on par with the sniper situation.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:33 AM

it just looks like a set up to me; as if only when a foreigner or a brown person does a bad act, they are the only people to get labeled terrorist in the usa, but a native born euroamerican just needs counseling or therapy or some ridiculous nonsense like we should feel sorry for them and second-guess why they massacre crowds of innocent people. it's all the same to me, whatever color they are.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:33 AM

999 posts, read 2,011,372 times
Terrorists? Do we really have a motive for the bombing and subsequent shoot out with the cops? Are we that quick to judge the violent actions of two individuals just because of their ethnicity or religious faith? Because one guy has a more strict Islamic lifestyle, does that make him a terrorist? If they were two white American-born guys who were not Muslim, would we call "terrorists" or we would be content with labeling them as "criminals"? Perhaps these two brothers killed and maimed people because they are angry and feel alienated in society. Not that much different than the Aurora movie theater shooter or the Sandy Hook mass murderer. Bottom line...too early to judge and throw labels on people.

As a person who strongly believes in civil liberty protections, I think the actions by the Boston PD should be reviewed in court. The police department instituted martial law over the city of Boston over one suspect. They entered homes without a warrant. Law enforcement did not offer Miranda rights to the suspect after his arrest. Seriously, there are some interesting constitutional questions with regard to police strategy and conduct during the manhunt. And I would not be surprised if defense attorneys and/or legal scholars are lining up around the hospital block to represent the alleged bomber.

Since 2001, police powers have expanded at an alarming rate over society. You have been surrendering more of your physical, telecommunications and online privacy to the nation-state surveillance as each year moves along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Come on. I find these dark conspiracies so disrespectful to the law enforcement putting themselves at extreme risk for us.

The terrorists were literally racing through the streets throwing bombs. Police were in all out shoot outs in the middle of residential neighborhoods. They had no idea where they would go. Isn't it common sense to tell people to stay out of the way so the police don't have to worry about gunning down some grandma walking her dog?

Old 04-22-2013, 11:37 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
The world was watching and show a of American resolve through fabulous force was needed according to the minds of some. American leadership has gotten the reputation of being inept and I am sure Obama said - show em what we got...So they went for brute force.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:05 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
it just looks like a set up to me; as if only when a foreigner or a brown person does a bad act, they are the only people to get labeled terrorist in the usa, but a native born euroamerican just needs counseling or therapy or some ridiculous nonsense like we should feel sorry for them and second-guess why they massacre crowds of innocent people. it's all the same to me, whatever color they are.
Say what... Timothy Mcveigh, Ted Kaczynski, Andrew Stack, Jared Loughner... In what world do you live in that these guys get a sympathetic pass?

Old 04-22-2013, 12:08 PM

^2 that might be true but it doesn't mean it was really necessary.
when i started hearing all these cliches like boston will never
surrender and we're all bostonians and blah blah blah, it made
me think it was corny and fake to diminish 3 lives lost like that but
the same passion was not shown for colorado and connecticut where
more lives were lost.

---

^ and kst, we never agree so no use asking me stuff.
you go ahead and keep thinking everything is equal
and the double standard does not exist.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:13 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Terrorists? Do we really have a motive for the bombing and subsequent shoot out with the cops? Are we that quick to judge the violent actions of two individuals just because of their ethnicity or religious faith? Because one guy has a more strict Islamic lifestyle, does that make him a terrorist? If they were two white American-born guys who were not Muslim, would we call "terrorists" or we would be content with labeling them as "criminals"? Perhaps these two brothers killed and maimed people because they are angry and feel alienated in society. Not that much different than the Aurora movie theater shooter or the Sandy Hook mass murderer. Bottom line...too early to judge and throw labels on people.

As a person who strongly believes in civil liberty protections, I think the actions by the Boston PD should be reviewed in court. The police department instituted martial law over the city of Boston over one suspect. They entered homes without a warrant. Law enforcement did not offer Miranda rights to the suspect after his arrest. Seriously, there are some interesting constitutional questions with regard to police strategy and conduct during the manhunt. And I would not be surprised if defense attorneys and/or legal scholars are lining up around the hospital block to represent the alleged bomber.

Since 2001, police powers have expanded at an alarming rate over society. You have been surrendering more of your physical, telecommunications and online privacy to the nation-state surveillance as each year moves along.
Ummm...

terrorism (ˈtɛrəˌrɪzəm)

— n
1. systematic use of violence and intimidation to achieve some goal
2. the act of terrorizing
3. the state of being terrorized

Your obsession with skin color and calling bigotry at every breath is really out of control.
These were ethnically white people who did this, from the North Caucuses.... near Russia...
They terrorized an international sporting event.

One may have been a brainwashed college kid and they may or may not have had political motivations but they still terrorized a city based solely on the actions already committed.

Last edited by Bluefly; 04-22-2013 at 05:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC