Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 08:35 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,383,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilllookingforhome View Post
How come no one has mentioned Woodbridge? It looks safe and affordable. Is there something I'm not noticing? Thnx!
It's more than 35-40 mins. to DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 06:22 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,530,472 times
Woodbridge is far.
Its safe for the most part but the section along Rt. 1 is ghetto. Not DC/MD ghetto but its low class by NoVA standards.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:55 AM

855 posts, read 1,173,327 times
Try looking in Alexandria, VA in the Landmark/395 area. It's convenient to DC and there are buses that run all the time to the Metro. Apartments there like Southern Towers (I believe rent includes utilities there) or Key Towers might fall in your range. Those buildings don't have all the amenities as newer buildings, but they are safe and have security patrol, so for your price range, those might fit.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:07 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,530,472 times
Southern Towers is good, there are a lot of express buses that'll take you to Pentagon metro station in 10 minutes or less. Then there's the #28A bus that goes to Kings street-Old Town station and to Tyson's Corner. There complex if fairly large and there's plenty of parking.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:14 PM

15 posts, read 21,520 times
Awesome! Thanks guys! ;-)

Old 05-10-2013, 12:15 PM

265 posts, read 1,063,845 times
IMHO location is supreme here, especially if you want to be able to come and go easily from school at various hours. I would look close to your school, even if you have to have roommates at first. It may enable you to live in a nicer building at a better location. I live alone now (got to know the area well) but had a few roommate situations, even in my 40s; these are common due to the high rents and people not wanting to pay a fortune for some small place in an unpleasant and/or inconvenient building or location. I would come up for a weekend or long weekend and look at a few different situations. Keep in mind that decent housing goes FAST here, as in Boston, if you see something acceptable you probably need to take it quickly. If you aren't tied into a year-long lease (and this can be a plus with group houses) you can land somewhere and take a look around. Personally I would not do Woodbridge and I would stay away from spending long periods of time on public transit in part because it can be unreliable. Good luck.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:04 PM

15 posts, read 21,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuneful View Post
IMHO location is supreme here, especially if you want to be able to come and go easily from school at various hours. I would look close to your school, even if you have to have roommates at first. It may enable you to live in a nicer building at a better location. I live alone now (got to know the area well) but had a few roommate situations, even in my 40s; these are common due to the high rents and people not wanting to pay a fortune for some small place in an unpleasant and/or inconvenient building or location. I would come up for a weekend or long weekend and look at a few different situations. Keep in mind that decent housing goes FAST here, as in Boston, if you see something acceptable you probably need to take it quickly. If you aren't tied into a year-long lease (and this can be a plus with group houses) you can land somewhere and take a look around. Personally I would not do Woodbridge and I would stay away from spending long periods of time on public transit in part because it can be unreliable. Good luck.
Thanks! Roommates? Yikes! Haven't gone that route in 10 yrs. or more.
Does Alexandria have any garden style apartments. I don't like high rises. I need yard...green! Trees, etc.

Thnx again.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:06 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Does Alexandria have any garden style apartments.
Yes, there are several.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:44 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,267,216 times
Quote:
Thanks! Roommates? Yikes! Haven't gone that route in 10 yrs. or more.
Does Alexandria have any garden style apartments. I don't like high rises. I need yard...green! Trees, etc.

Thnx again.
For your price range you should look at the apartment complexes off of Beauregard for garden apartments. Also, I used to hear folks talk about Foxchase Apartments as a decent cheap complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC