Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 04:48 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,528,591 times

Advertisements

I rode my bike around a lot of DC lately and I've gotten the chance to explore NoMa and the ballpark area. Both neighborhoods have zero character and feel completely fake, might as well be Reston, VA or White Flint, MD. There will be people who come in here to defend it but it is what it is. Not to mention both places are boring. Columbia Heights destroys both easily and I use CH as an example because although it has went through gentrification, it still has character. and I'm biased, since I live there. Both NoMa and Capitol Riverfront are STUPID names. NoMa sounds like we are trying to copy NYC (which DC is famous for) and Capitol Riverfront is too long and the area should just be called Navy Yard because it has historical value and its the name of the station that serves the area. Now I was around the wharf and the Florida ave market area in NE as well I was really happy that both places for the most part have kept character. DC has changed, but a lot of things are still the same but NoMa and Captiol Riverfront are awful. The buildings are upscale and all but they look like the suburbs, generic ones at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 08:00 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,006 times
That's new construction for you.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:54 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,089 times
I can't in good faith call that Red Line station "NoMa". It'll always be "New York Av" to me.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:57 AM

465 posts, read 928,139 times
Not sure OP knows what he is talking about. Capitol Riverfront is a dumb name, yes. But the neighborhood is fantastic. You can't look at the Yards Park, Canal Park, The Boilermaker Shops, or the Lumber Shed and say they don't have character. The development people did a great job keeping the historical names and buildings for new use.

I mean yeah, the office buildings and high rise apartments don't have character, but you'd have to be pretty dumb to expect that out of those buildings. You just biked along M Street, didn't you? That's not where the heart of the neighborhood is/will be.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Columbia Heights destroys both easily and I use CH as an example because although it has went through gentrification, it still has character.
The only reason to ever go to CH is Red Rocks. U Street has way more character than CH, and even that will be over once all the frat-douches from Arlington/Dupont start going there more.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:13 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,528,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerstars View Post
The only reason to ever go to CH is Red Rocks. U Street has way more character than CH, and even that will be over once all the frat-douches from Arlington/Dupont start going there more.
What? Columbia Heights offers way more than just Red Rocks and U street IMO is #3, behind CH and Mt. Pleasant. U street just seems like another Adams Morgan to me, which does retain some character.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:00 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,306 times
life is tradeoffs, eh?

I wouldnt deny ColHeights has a lot more character. NoMa is very conveniently located though both to employment and to Union Station.

CapRiv is more convenient than ColHeights, though less so than NoMa. Plus its got the ballpark and the riverfront, and its somewhat lower in crime, I beleive than ColHeights is.

Compared to Reston, both are a lot more convenient. Plus its an easy walk from CapRiver to Cap Hill and to SW, while from NoMa its an easy walk to H street, to Eckinton, to Mt Vernon Sq and to downtown. While from Reston TC its a somewhat less easy walk to - well, herndon? I mean I LIKE downtown Herndon, but barracks row kind of outshines it as far as walkable urban amenities.

Last edited by brooklynborndad; 04-29-2013 at 10:41 AM..

Old 04-29-2013, 10:34 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
I wouldn't want to live in NoMa. But there are obviously a lot of people who do. Maybe the neighborhood will have a different feel once it's all built out. I largely agree on it feeling sterile, however.

The whole area around the ballpark never floated my boat. And that's partly because the baseball stadium itself is so freakin ugly to me. I can't tell if it's a ballpark or a convention center.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
its somewhat lower in crime, I beleive than ColHeights is.
It's pretty day and night compared with CoHi (kill me for saying that). Navy Yard is pretty darn safe, lots of families in the parks and restaurants.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:56 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,473,291 times
That is was new construction does. The character doesn't come in until 15 to 20 years of establishment at least. You can't build character. It grows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC