Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2013, 03:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,538 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the DC area with my significant other (white, mid-late twenties). He has been apartment hunting for weeks down there and he found a place near Fort Dupont Park, D street right off of Texas as stated in the title.

I hear the area is starting to turn around and wanted to hear locals' take on the area.

I found this :Moderator cut: link removed, please wait till you have at least 10 posts before you start posting links

"Fort Dupont Park is an Up and Coming Neighborhood in Washington, DC that just straddles the N.E. and S.E. dividing lines of East Capitol Street and the Anacostia River. The Main Streets are Minnesota Avenue and Benning Road and Pennsylvania Avenue and East Capitol Street. New people and things are coming here all the time attracted by the Metro and Land and Lovely Fort Dupont Park."

But I don't know how much is BS and how much is real.

Obviously it is not the best area since the apartment is so cheap. as a white female I grew up in the ghetto of Niagara Falls but my significant other is used to living in non-dangerous areas. My boyfriend said the neighborhood didn't look bad and was quiet but that was in the middle of the day. I just wanted to know our chances for a broken-in car or crack-head assault walking home from the metro - the good, bad, and ugly.

Thanks for the opinions!!

Last edited by Yac; 05-23-2013 at 02:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 03:44 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,530,472 times
Hell no

Old 05-22-2013, 03:46 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,576,476 times
Don't know that specific block but the vast majority of neighborhoods east of the Anacostia River are HOOD. Not the place to be if you fear "broken-in cars." They are cheap for a reason. There are a couple nice areas there, but those tend to be out of the way and far from any Metro stop.

By the way car break-ins happen frequently pretty much ANYWHERE in the District. I had a friend who lived in Glover Park, which is one of the most whitebread, affluent neighborhoods in the city, and he got the window of his car SHOT out because they saw his GPS on the dashboard. The key is to just not be dumb like him. Never leave anything even remotely valuable, down to a Snickers bar, in view in your car.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:51 PM

199 posts, read 334,161 times
Pro-tip: "Up and coming" in an ad is usually a very bad sign - it's pretty common realtor-speak for "this area's still rough as hell"

I'd definitely look elsewhere. If you post your budget for rent, chances are people can give you some areas to focus on.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:43 PM

354 posts, read 785,472 times
lol dont do it.. its the hood and aint nothin 'up and coming' about it

Old 05-22-2013, 06:01 PM

37 posts, read 89,466 times
thats pretty close to Benning Terrace, and not too far from 37th st...in short, that area is hood, no question. walk around there at night and it will be different..

Old 05-26-2013, 05:51 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
People don't care where they live anymore.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:39 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,215,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Hell no
Honestly, this is all that really needs to be said. I work around that area and it's terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: