Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 11:14 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times

Advertisements

FAQs - Affordable Dwelling Units | dhcd

McDuffie Bill Aims to Clarify Housing Affordability - Housing Complex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 12:43 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,944,139 times
I've been reading a lot about the policy on GGDC

Urbanist economists should cheer inclusionary zoning - Greater Greater Washington

It's a really good policy and should help in the meantime with affordability for low income residents and college grads until they figure out what they want to do about the height restrictions.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:25 AM

155 posts, read 310,693 times
(1) Why would I take a job with more hours and more responsibilty that pays more than the $60K if I can live in the same building and have the same lifestyle, except working fewer hours with less stress?

(2) How is this type of housing different from Section 8 housing?

(3) Is it easier for a "young professional" college graduate to move to D.C. and find a job that pays $60K a year and still qualify for affordable housing units in brand new buildings, when long time residents of D.C. are turned away for Section 8 housing?

Old 06-29-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_in_dc View Post
(1) Why would I take a job with more hours and more responsibilty that pays more than the $60K if I can live in the same building and have the same lifestyle, except working fewer hours with less stress?

(2) How is this type of housing different from Section 8 housing?

(3) Is it easier for a "young professional" college graduate to move to D.C. and find a job that pays $60K a year and still qualify for affordable housing units in brand new buildings, when long time residents of D.C. are turned away for Section 8 housing?
1) Because not every one of college is going to be making enough to throw down $1600 for an apartment nor is that typical.

2) Because it's not just for low income residents nor does it centralize poverty the way section 8 housing goes.

3) The median household income in DC is around $86000 and the IZL apply for people making 30%,60%, and 80% of that so probably yes.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
1) Because not every one of college is going to be making enough to throw down $1600 for an apartment nor is that typical.

2) Because it's not just for low income residents nor does it centralize poverty the way section 8 housing goes.

3) The median household income in DC is around $86000 and the IZL apply for people making 30%,60%, and 80% of that so probably yes.
You didn't answer my question.

The residents who pay market rates for the housing units are subsidizing the lower rates for the other residents. That is correct? Yes or no.

Some people would rather make $60K a year instead of $150K a year, if that means less hours, less stress, and less job responsibility while still living in the same residence.

What motivation would they have to work harder and longer hours to make $150K if they can afford the same lifestyle in D.C. by working less and making less? Please explain that to me.

I understand the concept of a service worker who lives and works in D.C. and has a family to support who can't afford to commute an hour each way for work needing affordable housing. If wealthy people in D.C. want service workers, than they should be willing to subsidize their housing.

I fail to see why a college graduate policy analyst with a first year full time job out of college, still on his parents' insurance, who is making a choice to live in one of the most expensive cities in the nation to pursue job opportunities deserves any type of subsidy for housing.

I would NEVER live in that building to subsidize your housing. Why would I do that? A recent college graduate is not in poverty but just starting out and that is why the wages are lower.

If you are willing to take lower wages, you are taking jobs from more experienced people who may be unemployed.

I will NOT support that effort.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:

The residents who pay market rates for the housing units are subsidizing the lower rates for the other residents. That is correct? Yes or no.

Some people would rather make $60K a year instead of $150K a year, if that means less hours, less stress, and less job responsibility while still living in the same residence.

What motivation would they have to work harder and longer hours to make $150K if they can afford the same lifestyle in D.C. by working less and making less? Please explain that to me.

I understand the concept of a service worker who lives and works in D.C. and has a family to support who can't afford to commute an hour each way for work needing affordable housing. If wealthy people in D.C. want service workers, than they should be willing to subsidize their housing.

I fail to see why a college graduate policy analyst with a first year full time job out of college, still on his parents' insurance, who is making a choice to live in one of the most expensive cities in the nation to pursue job opportunities deserves any type of subsidy for housing.

I would NEVER live in that building to subsidize your housing. Why would I do that? A recent college graduate is not in poverty but just starting out and that is why the wages are lower.

If you are willing to take lower wages, you are taking jobs from more experienced people who may be unemployed.

I understand your concern since you don't want well of college grads using it to their advantage against other less well of grads or families, but you're reasoning to think about this and there's some misunderstandings. I don't think many people would not allow their income to increase to six figures just to live in a studio, maybe at the margin of 70k to 73k if there isn't any more room for advancement, but not 60k to 150k. There's no subsidizing in the form you're thinking of. Developers who build under the ICZ guidelines are allowed to add in more density so they can make a profit through more tenants. If they weren't doing that then they would only build their units for their top income brackets which is why the policy exists in the first place.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:

Then you will not live in ANY new building in DC. This is not the city for you. Sorry. Also, this applies to condos also. You probably should find somewhere else to live. Sorry.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Then you will not live in ANY new building in DC. This is not the city for you. Sorry. Also, this applies to condos also. You probably should find somewhere else to live. Sorry.
No, sorry. You need to find another city to live in, one where you have a real job producing something of value to the American people where you can afford to live.

Stop stealing money from the American taxpayer through student loans you will never pay and policy analyst jobs and subsidized housing.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
No, sorry. You need to find another city to live in, one where you have a real job producing something of value to the American people where you can afford to live.

Stop stealing money from the American taxpayer through student loans you will never pay and policy analyst jobs and subsidized housing.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:

Lol...my household income is so far over the threshold for ADU. I don't have a problem with workforce housing because teachers and fire fighters etc. should be able to live in the same building as myself even though its unaffordable to them. This program will allow that. You sound elitist. These policies are in place so EVERYONE can live in nice places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC