Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 02:26 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaryland455 View Post
Your CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!! ask anyone beyond "City-data"......The first thing that people think of when you mention D.C. is the Capital, Museums, Memorial, Very Expensive, Full of Jobs,and Very Educated area.........No one thinks of WELFARE....when they think of D.C..........where did you grow up???????????Lol Lmao

you must don't know much about dc back in
the recent past i guess. of course there are
great things to brag about dc like you
mentioned, but don't forget the bad things too.

maybe you are only aware of the good side tho.
if so, that's pretty clueless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 03:31 PM

490 posts, read 924,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
you must don't know much about dc back in
the recent past i guess. of course there are
great things to brag about dc like you
mentioned, but don't forget the bad things too.

maybe you are only aware of the good side tho.
if so, that's pretty clueless.
Obvious I know the history of D.C. back in the day (80s, 90s, and early 20..........My good friend things have change a lot....a BIG transition has happen.....the D.C. your described
rarely exist anymore (only in a few select neighborhoods)......there building SW, NW, and NE up for a reason.....Once again No one thinks of D.C. like that.......Baltimore City (YES!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Old 07-15-2013, 03:35 PM

^ ok but it still does not take away
the fact of how long it has come in
just a few years.

anyway, it's still not all good in
every hood.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:12 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,580 times
I agree with 11Kap; you're painting a very rosy picture of DC MrMaryland. Whether it's per-capita murders or per-capital social welfare spending, DC has a deserved reputation for being high. The murder rate is down remarkably, but there is still plenty of hood in DC. As far as development; my neighborhood has seen as much development and investment as any in the past couple of years, but we've still got a dozen section 8 projects and plenty of bullets flying around. When that's walking distance from the White House, you can hardly say the old DC rarely exists anymore, it's just watered down a bit.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:06 PM

297 posts, read 472,795 times
I am a fan. I can dig his music and fell what he is getting at even though I am not from the DC area or Afro American

Old 07-16-2013, 10:13 AM

354 posts, read 785,341 times
Quote:
I really hope this is NOT true..........RICK ROSS made the worst decision EVER.........It makes the D.C. area look sooo BAD........This is an educated location and FAT TREL make us look like H.O.C./ section8
LMAO!! dc isa section 8 city too just as much as it is an educated city

Old 07-16-2013, 10:25 AM

712 posts, read 1,093,044 times
Quote:
Your CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!! ask anyone beyond "City-data"......The first thing that people think of when you mention D.C. is the Capital, Museums, Memorial, Very Expensive, Full of Jobs,and Very Educated area.........No one thinks of WELFARE....when they think of D.C..........where did you grow up???????????Lol Lmao
well, growing up in New Orleans, when someone mentioned DC, the first thing we thought about was MURDERS, mainly because we were always being compared to DC in terms of murder rate. Me and my boys, never having been to DC at the time or hearing any hip hop artists from DC, always thought parts of DC must be hood as hell to have a murder rate as bad, or worst at times, as New Orleans.

On the other hand, I have a friend who grew up in a suburb of NO (Kenner) and came to DC last year on a business trip for the first time and was surprised when I told him DC has some rough neighborhoods and a large black population. He thought all there was to DC was the downtown area, monuments, white house, and Georgetown.

I think if you grew up in conditions similar to DC, your first thoughts of DC when you hear about it aren't always the touristy/attractive qualities of DC.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:49 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,162,957 times
DC is very deceptive. You may have $500,000 rowhouses on one block and walk two blocks over and it's hood as ever. Some of the areas are gentrifying quickly but there is still a hood presence. Look at Adams Morgan. Euclid Street is still hoodish even though there are white people all over. Columbia Heights is the same way.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:06 PM

well-off people buy up all the slum housing for cheap
and tear them down or redevelop them into million
dollar mansions and quarter million dollar condos, and
turn recent ghettos into rich neighborhoods.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:52 AM

490 posts, read 924,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDatInMD View Post
well, growing up in New Orleans, when someone mentioned DC, the first thing we thought about was MURDERS, mainly because we were always being compared to DC in terms of murder rate. Me and my boys, never having been to DC at the time or hearing any hip hop artists from DC, always thought parts of DC must be hood as hell to have a murder rate as bad, or worst at times, as New Orleans.

On the other hand, I have a friend who grew up in a suburb of NO (Kenner) and came to DC last year on a business trip for the first time and was surprised when I told him DC has some rough neighborhoods and a large black population. He thought all there was to DC was the downtown area, monuments, white house, and Georgetown.

I think if you grew up in conditions similar to DC, your first thoughts of DC when you hear about it aren't always the touristy/attractive qualities of DC.

I hear what your saying.........But the murder rate in D.C. hasn't been that high in a LONGGG time!!!!....I work at the Hilton Hotel and never do I hear about D.C. being a Welfare or Ghetto city.......D.C. is Cleaner than New York City and The Good Quality of D.C. over shadow the Few area that your talking about........Washington D.C. as a whole still has SOME bad areas (I never rule that out) I'm just stating that....the D.C. that you remember rarely exist anymore and Section 8/H.O.C.....are going to slowly (already are) continue to be pushed out..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: