Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 10:07 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2CHI13 View Post
Actually, I disagree. The suburbs of Washington, D.C., yes, are incredibly diverse. The city, however, is not. Chicago is very segregated, yes. But so is D.C.. Look at the demographic differences between NW and SE.

NPR did a really interesting story a few months back about one neighborhood in D.C. that has been a hispanic enclave since the 1980s but how white-owned business are moving in, "gentrifying" the neighborhood, and pushing a lot of the hispanic businesses out.

Washington, D.C. is also a VERY segregated city. With a huge income disparity as well. Oh, and Smiley23699, D.C.'s climate isn't exactly why people relocate here, either. We too have cold winters (albeit not as cold as Chicago) and OPPRESSIVE humidity in the summer. It is built on swampland, after all!
Dear God, when will this myth finally die?

DC Mythbusting: Built on a Swamp? | We Love DC

This is like people who think Chicago is the "Windy City" because it has strong breezes.

Also it makes no sense to compare DC the city to Chicago the city. Apples and oranges. Chicago is over three times the land mass of DC because DC's borders are fixed by a unique arrangement going back hundreds of years. If DC were any other city, the suburbs that are very diverse would be part of the city itself.
The apples to apples comparison is metro area, and by that measure DC is as diverse if not more diverse than Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 07:52 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Anyway, anybody else lived here, not been happy, and moved elsewhere? Where did you end up? What was it about D.C. that made it fall out of favor for you?
I would never voluntarily leave the most densely populated and economically developed region of the United States during my working career.

So, if I ever moved from the Washington, D.C. area, then there's a 97% chance I would relocate to the New York City area. The other 3% is Boston or Philadelphia.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:06 AM

52 posts, read 150,707 times
I'm not going to debate observations of/opinions about segregation and oppression here on this forum. But to clarify my statement above, in my experience, while DC (proper) definitely is not one big happy family and definitely is segregated in spots (and definitely has been segregated historically), in my experience, the current DC segregation does not compare to the current situation in midwestern cities such as Chicago (or Detroit or St. Louis). It just doesn't. That's a GOOD thing for DC. Do we have room for improvement? Absolutely. But Chi-town has got some hard core segregation that has been going on for many generations, which doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon. It goes neighborhood by neighborhood. Same thing goes on in Detroit and St. Louis; the situation is probably more acute in those cities.

And while it does get cold in DC, and we do have the occasional blizzard, once again, our winters -- year by year -- do not compare to those in Chicago. And, Chicago has had some very oppressive summers too. Again, I'm speaking from personal experience. I think most folks who are from the DMV would not be able to tolerate living in a Chicago-type of climate year after year. Definitely something you have to suck up and get used to (as well as driving in the snow all of the time)!

Old 08-07-2013, 11:28 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,960,312 times
In terms of the hypercompetitive schools in suburbs, Chicago can be far worse than the DC area. I went to one of those schools in the Chicago burbs, college is practically a requirement.
In terms of a city, I lived in both Chicago and DC, they are two very different things. DC and Boston are more comparable in many ways. Smaller cities in comparison to the New York, Chicago, and LA, but also highly educated. Getting ones foot in the door is far harder in Chicago.
I have to agree with the sentiment I would never leave a densely populated developed urban area.
With regards to Chicago vs. DC.

Chicago is more economically diverse. With that being said the job market for the college educated is not nearly as good. There are a large number of white collar jobs, but more applicants per job and they do not always pay as well.
Both cities are segregated, but DCs suburbs are less segregated and more diverse. DC is also as noted a more global city.

I still love Chicago's music though. It is the brightest part of the city. Something no city in the US really matches, including NYC.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:36 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,543,241 times
Quote:
Chicago is very segregated, yes. But so is D.C.. Look at the demographic differences between NW and SE.

NPR did a really interesting story a few months back about one neighborhood in D.C. that has been a hispanic enclave since the 1980s but how white-owned business are moving in, "gentrifying" the neighborhood, and pushing a lot of the hispanic businesses out.

Washington, D.C. is also a VERY segregated city. With a huge income disparity as well.
Eh, sorry, but statistics don't side with you.

1. Dissimilarity index of blacks & whites in city of Chicago: 87.3
Washington, D.C.: 81.5
Yes, both are highly segregated, but Chicago is numerically more so.

2. Similarly, the Gini coefficient of metro Chicago is higher than for metro D.C. In fact, D.C. has one of the lowest income inequality indices in America.

3. Umm, that little NPR story could have been told about
  • West Lincoln Park
  • West Lakeview
  • Roscoe Village
  • Wicker Park
  • Bucktown
  • Logan Square
  • East Pilsen
  • Pilsen
  • Humboldt Park
  • Noble Square
  • East Village
  • West Town
  • Avondale
  • University Village
  • Uptown
  • Albany Park
  • much of Rogers Park
  • and probably a bunch of suburbs of Chicago as well, like Berwyn or Forest Park.
Almost half of the "nice" parts of Chicago were
Quote:
a hispanic enclave since the 1980s... white-owned business are moving in, 'gentrifying' the neighborhood, and pushing a lot of the hispanic businesses out.
4. I survived 13 years of Chicago winters, bike commuting at least once a week every single week, and I'm glad I did: builds character. However, you absolutely cannot compare winter here to there. I used to wear two pairs of socks and then two pairs of shoes over them, just to get to work, for 2-3 months out of the year. I'm looking at a box filled with fleece & wool socks right now, which I haven't even opened in three winters. Hey, perhaps you want them?

Old 08-08-2013, 09:47 AM

10 posts, read 17,297 times
Everyone is different and every city has its own vibe. I'm sure there's parts of Chicago where you'll have very similar experiences to those you've had in DC. You'd be surprised at how major cities look and feel different on the surface, but share the same thinking, values, etc. Chicago is a wonderful city so goood luck to you!

Old 08-09-2013, 12:51 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley32699 View Post
I'm not going to debate observations of/opinions about segregation and oppression here on this forum. But to clarify my statement above, in my experience, while DC (proper) definitely is not one big happy family and definitely is segregated in spots (and definitely has been segregated historically), in my experience, the current DC segregation does not compare to the current situation in midwestern cities such as Chicago (or Detroit or St. Louis). It just doesn't. That's a GOOD thing for DC. Do we have room for improvement? Absolutely. But Chi-town has got some hard core segregation that has been going on for many generations, which doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon. It goes neighborhood by neighborhood. Same thing goes on in Detroit and St. Louis; the situation is probably more acute in those cities.

And while it does get cold in DC, and we do have the occasional blizzard, once again, our winters -- year by year -- do not compare to those in Chicago. And, Chicago has had some very oppressive summers too. Again, I'm speaking from personal experience. I think most folks who are from the DMV would not be able to tolerate living in a Chicago-type of climate year after year. Definitely something you have to suck up and get used to (as well as driving in the snow all of the time)!
Overreacting. This summer for example with the exception of on really hot week, it's been in the high 70's and low 80's almost everyday. Chicago has one of the best summer's. Also the winter's are not that brutal either. Yeah it can get cold, but it's not bad. I mean almost 10 million people live in the area, if it was THAT bad and that horrible like you are making it out to be I don't think as many people would be living in the area. You make it seem like Chicago is in Alaska in the winter and Texas in the summer!

Old 08-09-2013, 09:59 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,753,522 times
Quote:
I've called Washington, D.C. my home for just about 15 years (not necessarily the city itself, but the DMV area), and on Friday I was offered a job up in Chicago. I can't TELL you how excited I am to be moving to Chicago! But I do have some mixed emotions about leaving my childhood home...

I will say it was the right time to leave. Plenty of people come to this city looking for great opportunities, but I just didn't see any opportunity for me here. Throughout the course of the last year I have grown very tired of Washington, D.C./Northern Virginia. After visting friends in New York and family in Chicago, I came to realize how SMALL D.C. was. And I know this sounds harsh, but I also found it kind of a soulless place. Not because its home to the Federal Government and that's evil blah blah, but because it's SUCH a transient town, with people who come from all over the country, and it seriously lacks Chi-Town civic pride!

For a while I was ragging on D.C. all the time (pretentious people, awful traffic, etc.), but I think now I've accepted that it just wasn't the right place for me at this point in my life. It may be somebody's city, but it's not my city.

People thinking about relocating here, it does have a great deal to offer! Although, I will say, I would NEVER want to raise my kids in Fairfax County...way too competitive and way much pressure to be "an achiever"!!! But it has a lot of great cultural amenities and a lot of people here are wicked smart!

People, like me, who have been thinking about leaving, go explore other cities! This one may not be right for you. Despite its "steller job market", the city/surrounding areas may not offer you want you want/need to be happy. I needed more nice people and more entertainment options...sorry! Trying my hardest to hold back my snide D.C. comments.

Anyway, anybody else lived here, not been happy, and moved elsewhere? Where did you end up? What was it about D.C. that made it fall out of favor for you?

PS: ALSO, THIS CITY'S COST OF LIVING IS RIDICULOUS. I UNDERSTAND PAYING $3,000 FOR A STUDIO IN NYC, BUT IN D.C.?!?! YOU'RE WORKING ALL THE TIME JUST TO AFFORD TO GET BY! ($3,000 for a studio might be a bit of an exaggeration...)
I really can identify with your post. I've been thinking about Chicago too. Cost of living is cheaper, a lot of culture at Chicago (maybe more than DC) and I've been reading a lot of articles comparing NYC to Chicago, saying Chicago maybe the future. I know they have excellent schools, excellent museums, excellent art schools, and excellent food (I'm sure a lot better than DC).

I read, $1,500 for a real nice downtown 1/1 @1000 sq ft. Plus, it's Midwest, so people are more humble and reasonable. I know there are some first rate restaurants there, since a lot of first rate chefs are moving there.

It's a very interesting place... It's sort of like Seattle. Love the concept, love what I read about, but the weather sucks - rains a lot, and 70% suicide rate, and Chicago gets really, really cold.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:06 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:

PS: ALSO, THIS CITY'S COST OF LIVING IS RIDICULOUS. I UNDERSTAND PAYING $3,000 FOR A STUDIO IN NYC, BUT IN D.C.?!?! YOU'RE WORKING ALL THE TIME JUST TO AFFORD TO GET BY! ($3,000 for a studio might be a bit of an exaggeration...)
Lol...wtf seriously? Studio apartments in the right areas of Chicago, even downtown go as low as $700-$800 a month I believe.

I've never lived in Chicago, but I have seen listings for studio apartments in Indianapolis for as low as $325. The midwest is all around a cheaper place to live. East coast is crazy expensive.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:04 AM

708 posts, read 1,205,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
I really can identify with your post. I've been thinking about Chicago too. Cost of living is cheaper, a lot of culture at Chicago (maybe more than DC) and I've been reading a lot of articles comparing NYC to Chicago, saying Chicago maybe the future. I know they have excellent schools, excellent museums, excellent art schools, and excellent food (I'm sure a lot better than DC).

I read, $1,500 for a real nice downtown 1/1 @1000 sq ft. Plus, it's Midwest, so people are more humble and reasonable. I know there are some first rate restaurants there, since a lot of first rate chefs are moving there.

It's a very interesting place... It's sort of like Seattle. Love the concept, love what I read about, but the weather sucks - rains a lot, and 70% suicide rate, and Chicago gets really, really cold.

Chicago > DC by a mile -- all except for jobs. There is no comparison, the architecture -- the people, the food, everything is better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC