Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2016, 08:47 AM

126 posts, read 117,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
1. Find me a cheap big city.
Philly, Chicago, Houston, Atlanta, Dallas and Phoenix just off the top of my head
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 11:35 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,970,662 times
Quote:
1. Find me a cheap big city.
2. Go to Boston, New York, or Chicago and tell me DC has a high tax burden.
3. There are snooty people in every big city. If you hadn't noticed, people in the private sector make A LOT of the money off of the government (ever heard of General Dynamics, Northrop Grumman, etc.??)
I really wasn’t going to jump in but it really has to be said and done. I see where you are coming from but it still doesn’t address the topic of discussion. Your response, done by so many when presenting this argument, creates several implications. The reason why is because there is a direct disconnect. May I add that when it comes to most social views, everyone aligns their views across the line no matter what social topic is at hand. So, if you align on the side of green, you will for the most part align on the side of green on most social topics because this is how our brains are wired.

So with regards to your above post, it does a few things:

1- It indirectly sets a perspective that you are vehemently defending a city without understand the dynamics or nature of which another person is presenting. (not relating to people as you have read me post this numerous time being done by many)

2- It also indirectly sets a tone of undermining a city by not allowing it to honor its own uniqueness. Every city has its own uniqueness and what happens in DC will not happen in NY simply due to cultural, social, and physical/structural factors.

This “you will have that in every major city” is a total insult and a total lack of respect for the mission of the city. No, not every city is the same and the texture and landscape of a city is not solely predicated on its inner core. As in the case of DC, DC doesn’t have an outlet in that healthy groups of class diversity can filter through. There are certain laws, policies, and ordinances that don’t allow what other cities would get away with. And the reason is to keep the standard and maintain CONFORMITY TO ALIGN WITH THE UNIQUENESS OF THAT PARTICULARY CITY. Noise ordinances in DC are not what you would find in the heart of Atlanta. Darker color coordinates at retail shops in DC during the winter months will not be found the same during the winter months of Florida as the weather and climate dictate.

Likewise, all the diverse class groups around DC live well beyond the immediate borders of MD and VA at around 35-45 min and this doesn’t allow for diverse filtration. This isn’t like living in Brooklyn or Queens on the outskirt of Manhattan and only making $25k a year but easily being able to hop on the C train in Brooklyn or living in North Bergen NJ, take a fairy, and head straight into the heart of Manhattan within 20 min. This creates a totally different dynamic than what you have in the DMV on multiple levels in terms of social, business, and relationship aspects.

So no, what happens in DC with regards to its centralization and expensive immediate boundaries is not what you will get in every city.
And as result, not everyone that comes here will enjoy it because they are not able to take a quick train ride into a more diverse and less expensive community in a short period of time. There is no “get away” within a reasonable distance for more diverse groups and classes. And some people need this in order to thrive. And as the OP states, he/she enjoys the beautiful aesthetics, cultural diversity, amenities, and the education that comes with being in the nation’s capital and that is not to be matched anywhere. However, not everyone is into aesthetics, national parks, and high education. I personally could give two rock solid pieces of cheet about museums and founding farmers. So what would these people that differ in likes really have in common socially? Why would each city be so identical in that everyone would have to enjoy the same amenities? That is impossible.

I know people that are from Georgia and love their hunting, bond fires, and their 4x4 trucks. They can't get this cultural symmetry anywhere close to what they would get in George- not even west VA simply because of the terrain and landscape again, UNIQUE TO GA. So a lot of it is psychological.

So please, for once- stop with the "every city argument". There are several factors that contribute to how people perceive their way of life.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:21 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
From the Va side I think DC is a great asset to the area as far as museums and taking the grandbaby to the zoo, having sports like the Capitals and Nationals even though I have yet to see the Nationals play I have been to the original Yankee Stadium and watched an Orioles vs. Blue-Jays game at Camden Yards.

As far as living in DC goes I dont see the purpose of being in a place with an inflated cost of living, pretentious people, and government workers with ridiculous salaries that cost us tax payers dearly with their Wall Street and auto industry bailouts.

I was born and raised in New York, lived up north, down south, out west, and Germany, and their aint nothing better then a house in the country, baseball in the backyard, cookouts, nature, and peace, I really enjoy spending a day in DC but I wouldnt want to live there.
Government haters make no sense to me. If you hate the American Government then you hate America. Simple as that.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:02 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,472,719 times
I honestly think that the hate from DC comes mainly from the eastern big cities in the area such as Baltimore, Philly, NYC, Boston. I feel as if it is more of a sibling hatred though. As for west coast folk what irritates me the most is a lot of people I've met out west seem to think that DC is not a top tier American city/a world class city or even an appealing one for that matter. From the conversations that I've had with people, they seem to think it's boring and VERY corporate...that has to due with the whole governmental aspect and the lack of a (nationally known) creative scene in the city. Although this may be true a lot of people I know who have visited DC loved it,including my cousins from Germany who did a tour of every major eastern city and unanimously all said DC was the prettiest/most cosmopolitan feeling. Guess that goes to show that there really isn't a universal liking or distain for the city.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:51 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketter View Post
Philly, Chicago, Houston, Atlanta, Dallas and Phoenix just off the top of my head
Philly and Chicago are slightly cheaper but hardly cheap. And you know what you get with that cheaper COL? Fewer high paying white collar jobs.

Those other "big cities" arent even worth my breath.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:13 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,997 times
Quote:
I honestly think that the hate from DC comes mainly from the eastern big cities in the area such as Baltimore, Philly, NYC, Boston. I feel as if it is more of a sibling hatred though.

Baltimoreans shouldn't even be discussing their hate for DC when Baltimore City looks and behaves the way it does!!!

I agree with your cousins from Germany and I live in Baltimore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
I honestly think that the hate from DC comes mainly from the eastern big cities in the area such as Baltimore, Philly, NYC, Boston. I feel as if it is more of a sibling hatred though. As for west coast folk what irritates me the most is a lot of people I've met out west seem to think that DC is not a top tier American city/a world class city or even an appealing one for that matter. From the conversations that I've had with people, they seem to think it's boring and VERY corporate...that has to due with the whole governmental aspect and the lack of a (nationally known) creative scene in the city. Although this may be true a lot of people I know who have visited DC loved it,including my cousins from Germany who did a tour of every major eastern city and unanimously all said DC was the prettiest/most cosmopolitan feeling. Guess that goes to show that there really isn't a universal liking or distain for the city.
Naw, I love DC!

There may be some truth to this, but some of the hate is mere jealousy of other cities who apparently have better cultural and economic amenities not afforded to them in their own metropolitan area.

Folks in Baltimore complain about the city's nightlife and how it should be more mature; reminiscent of DC's or NYC's nightlife.

Quote:

Last edited by Yac; 02-10-2016 at 01:50 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged

Old 02-09-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
From the conversations that I've had with people, they seem to think it's boring and VERY corporate...that has to due with the whole governmental aspect and the lack of a (nationally known) creative scene in the city. Although this may be true a lot of people I know who have visited DC loved it,including my cousins from Germany who did a tour of every major eastern city and unanimously all said DC was the prettiest/most cosmopolitan feeling. Guess that goes to show that there really isn't a universal liking or distain for the city.
And this is my point exactly of which many can't understand.

If a person comes to DC from LA, it will be a big difference depending on their lifestyle. They may be the type that which can live and work in the heart of Downtown LA as a sales medical rep from 8AM-6pm, bogged down in a suit and tie all week, and come Friday, head south to Newport beach just a mere 57 miles away for the weekend. They would have then totally removed themselves from the LA traffic, thought of work, and at peace. It makes a world of a difference for many to have that separation. The trail of traffic and paper work doesn't follow them and it is psychologically refreshing to them. That kind of landscape isn't offered to them here. I have a three day weekend and I have no Idea what I am going to do- I don't feel like driving to NY and I am not going to a national park, winery, or museum but people will suggest this because that is what they are into, not me.

However, those that come to DC with a purpose usually don't have this need of breaking apart from their daily grind. Heck, they even gave up their car they are so in love with DC. They need to do the brunches, always meeting up with group networks, taking walks along constitution ave, and hustling more at some happy hour. It's a different flow AND THIS IS OK....

My realization is that many, and I am certainly one of them, had this assumption that DC wouldn't have been so centralized, especially being so close to NY/NJ. But you then realize that it is and it can take a huge toll on those that need this separation. But unfortunately, there are more opportunities here that wouldn't be available in other areas (which makes DC unique and distinct from other cities)

But again, when one person says I don't like DC, those that thrive here snap at them and call them out for not being educated or financially stable enough to live in DC. Many times education and finance have nothing to do with- it's just that personalities don't match the city. AND THIS IS OK....

So it's not to bash but it's the reality that each city has to own. But DC has a bad habit of not honoring its own quirkiness and properly explaining where it comes from- they often defend with spite, which makes them look even more awkward.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:18 PM

126 posts, read 117,606 times
Quote:
Fewer high paying white collar jobs.
And that comment explains a lot on why people hate on D.C., your only response was about money and career. People decided to live in cities not just because of jobs but because of culture, lifestyle, weather, cost of living, etc.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Tthere may be some truth to this, but some of the hate is mere jealousy of other cities who apparently have better cultural and economic amenities not afforded to them in their own metropolitan area.

Folks in Baltimore complain about the city's nightlife and how it should be more mature; reminiscent of DC's or NYC's nightlife.
This is not directed at you but clarifying for others-

And this is ok because not every city is the same, despite what people think. No, you can't "say the same for every city" and too many people like to think this because it's their way of undermining the city that they live in or in some strange way trying to be "on par" and not be the odd ball out. Different cities have different personalities that either pair well or not with different people.

But I refuse to take on this notion that everyone has to love a city simply because others do- WHICH HAPPENS TOO OFTEN HERE IN DC. It's this social liberalism mentality in that all cities can never be unique and that everyone is the same. Many liberals have this mentality because it aligns with many of their other social topics.

Yes, some cities are better and more vibrant than others based on sheer natural landscape this is by default. Same way some people are naturally talented and many aren't. Some people will wish they were in other cities that THEY feel are much better than their current city. Just like a home, car, phone, clothing, and restaurant. This is life.

People will hate DC just as they will hate NY. But what DC offers is not what NY offers and those that thrive in each city may not thrive in the other. This is what makes it so wonderful. It's not jealously, it's reality. We can't keep defending cities from those that don't like it here- not saying you are doing so. But DC has it's reasons to be hated just like other cities have their own unique reasons to be hated by those that don't fit in.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:36 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,937 times
I dislike the fact that working dominates the city. People here don't socialize, they network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC