Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 07:39 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,166,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
DC vs baltimore......i could never find a good legit explanation why ppl in the 2 cities hate on each other........black baltimoreans and black ppl in DC have a lot more in common than they wanna admit and they got family in each others cities.....granted, DC ppl dnt like Baltimore club and Bmore people CANT STAND Go-Go (then again no one outside 495 likes gogo either, nevermind lol).......I heard back in the day alot of Bmore and DC gangsters got locked up together and that MAY have something to do with it.......but honestly ive been on both sides of that fence and neither side can give me a straight answer.....lol
There is really no straight answer. I don't think it's a beef or a problem like it use to be back in the day. I know on some of the college campuses, there was a PG versus Baltimore thing a while back but I think its over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 07:39 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,243,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Because Baltimore is a freaking ghetto - in very large part. Otherwise, it does have some good points of interest.
I disagree. It's just a rat hole. Baltimore's glory days ended about 100 years ago. During the 19th century Baltimore was a great city, and an industrial powerhouse, with a lot of cultural amenities.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:05 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,409,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
They definitely don't have as much book-smarts unfortunately, I'll tell you that much! Smh

Booksmarts don't mean you have to live
your whole life being stuck up. Reading
is one thing while being able to work
with your hands is another. Both can
help you find success in life.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:05 AM

855 posts, read 1,173,664 times
I think it's funny that people in DC have a superiority complex when it comes to Baltimore. Of course DC has more stuff in it, it's the nation's capital. I like certain aspects of both cities, but I don't think one is better than the other. DC hating on Baltimore is like picking on the short kid in class. DC is a big fish in a small pond when it comes to the DC/MD/VA/(NC) area, but DC still has nothing on cities like NY, Chicago or LA.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:12 AM

855 posts, read 1,173,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
with your hands is another. Both are
necessary to live your life.

I also think it's funny when people bring up Baltimore as an uneducated town. They do realize that Baltimore city itself has like 19 colleges and universities (and that doesn't include Towson which is right over the city line). Some of the people who live in Bmore might be a rough around the edges, but last I checked the same holds true for people living in DC (since after all there still is a lot of DC that isn't gentrified (over the river, NE, SE etc.)

Old 08-08-2013, 08:47 AM

132 posts, read 355,625 times
DC is just obsessed with being upidity. Even within the District, people are always asking where you live and then quick to make a face if you live in a not so popular neighborhood. If you're not in a high rent area then folks are quick to snub you. The smart people are actually those that live in an area that's not overpriced, and still have enough money to build up a nice nest egg. So say whatever you want about Baltimore, at lease they're not being gouged to keep a roof over their head and can still experience the joys of living in a major city.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:20 PM

13,654 posts, read 20,788,575 times
I grew up in DC and at best, the opposite was true. I don't recall any disparaging remarks about Baltimore. Most of us liked it. We rooted for the Os and were sorry to see the Colts leave. Memorial Stadium and Lexington Market were great places to visit as was the Inner Harbor later on.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:13 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,219,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
with your hands is another. Both can
help you find success in life.
Tell that to most of the locals on Bmore's streets who appear to be down on there luck and who act like there isn't a future for them in the pursuit of higher education. They need a motivational check is what! Some of the locals in DC have this issue as well, but I doubt it's as severe as it is up in Baltimore. ONE of the best ways to revitalize an entire city and to give it a bright future is by getting people off the damn streets and try taking the world on the smart way. Be it private/public/charter education or home-schooling, whichever they have to do to make it in the world. Street smarts can ONLY TAKE YOU SO FAR. Call me an optimistic idealist, but that's how it is.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:22 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,166,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
I think it's funny that people in DC have a superiority complex when it comes to Baltimore. Of course DC has more stuff in it, it's the nation's capital. I like certain aspects of both cities, but I don't think one is better than the other. DC hating on Baltimore is like picking on the short kid in class. DC is a big fish in a small pond when it comes to the DC/MD/VA/(NC) area, but DC still has nothing on cities like NY, Chicago or LA.
Huh? Only better transit (NYC excluded), higher per capita income, more educated population, better job climate, better overall economy etc....

Old 08-09-2013, 09:32 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,409,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Tell that to most of the locals on Bmore's streets who appear to be down on there luck and who act like there isn't a future for them in the pursuit of higher education. They need a motivational check is what! Some of the locals in DC have this issue as well, but I doubt it's as severe as it is up in Baltimore. ONE of the best ways to revitalize an entire city and to give it a bright future is by getting people off the damn streets and try taking the world on the smart way. Be it private/public/charter education or home-schooling, whichever they have to do to make it in the world. Street smarts can ONLY TAKE YOU SO FAR. Call me an optimistic idealist, but that's how it is.

I'm not putting myself out there like that, son. I have to take care of my own self.
If people are too dumb to find a way to help their fellow man and get paid for it,
I guess they don't want to do anything; so I was not quite advocating for people
like that. They can be whatever they want to be, and if it is to be squatters their
whole life, so be it. Who am i to judge or stop them? That's not my problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC