Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2007, 01:14 PM

3 posts, read 6,283 times

Advertisements

We are considering a short term rental on a place on E. St. SE between 10th and 11th. Having heard mixed reviews, and not knowing DC very well myself, I am hoping someone cal tell me how safe this area is. Specifically, how would I feel as a woman walking small children to and from the Eastern Market Metro stop after dark? (Not late, say 7:30 at night.) What about during the day? There will be times when my husband is in meetings and I will be taking the kids out. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 05:09 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,998,710 times
Well, I mean, SE is not a great part of DC (the least safe quadrant) but I don't know that street, etc.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:56 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,086,339 times
Judge for yourself:

Metropolitan Police Department (http://crimemap.dc.gov/presentation/query.asp - broken link)

There is a large public housing project at about 12th street that has seen some crime around it. Walking toward Eastern Market would be safer than say walking toward Potomac Ave, but it is generally pretty good for the Hill.

Still, there is an edge. Take a look at the crime map and compare it to other parts of the city you might be more familiar with to get a real idea.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:03 PM

230 posts, read 859,511 times
I don't think it's an awful area, but there are better choices in Capitol Hill. It's still a little too transitional for my taste.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:19 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
You're going to be right on or just off of Pennsylvania Avenue SE. This is the main drag through Eastern Market, and it is not an area you need to worry about. The walk from the Metro is 2-3 blocks, and it is well-lit and well-populated at all sensible hours. This will be urban living of course, so normal urban precautions should be taken and observed, but basically you've got female yuppies and sahm's out there with the kids or the dogs or just for a jog by the score every morning and evening and the local news is not filled with reports of their having been victimized by anybody. By and large, this is a very nice area so long as you simply mind your urban p's and q's. I have a part-time place up a bit from 7th and PA, and I don't give a second thought to being out and about on foot until maybe midnight or so, and even then you've not got much that's of any actual concern out there...

Old 11-14-2007, 09:24 AM

223 posts, read 1,172,797 times
This area of Southeast is difficult to describe. It's not a bad neighborhood, but it's not perfectly safe either. I would say with confidence that it's trending upwards, but it's not being gentrified or "yuppiefied" like other neighborhoods in the District. Some families (of different races and ethnicities) choose to live in this area; some don't. I would recommend that you visit the neighborhood first and decide for yourself.

Good Luck.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:15 PM

82 posts, read 433,650 times
You'll be facing PA Avenue between Fragers and the Old Naval Hospital. While this isn't the fanciest part of the Hill, it's now within the more desirable borders so long as your practice some common sense about the environment. There are plenty of other moms and small children around. If the kids want to play, I recommend Marion park (@ 6th and E, although that end is about the dogs... the kids are over at 5th and E).

Old 12-07-2007, 12:24 PM

35 posts, read 202,541 times
Have you seen 8th St, SE lately. Completely redone. The area is definitely gentrifying. In fact, condos are being built on the corner of 11th and Penn, SE that are pretty pricey. 1 bedrooms on the first floor starting at $350,000, with 3-bedrooms at $1.3 million. A parking space will cost you and extra $50,000. I think the building is called "Butterfield House."

Like most areas of the city, there are some bad spots and Potomac Gardens tenements are a couple of blocks away. The funny thing is that another luxury condo development is being built on Pennsylvania and 14th St., SE which will have a Harris Teeter, etc. Houses on 9th and 10th st., SE are still selling within two weeks. I live here so I know.

When people say SE is dangerous, they mean the SE across the river... Anacostia. It is the NE side of Capitol Hill that you want to avoid. People who don't know the area should not be commenting.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:11 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Yeah, Ellington's, Alberto's, Banana Cafe...lots of stuff. Ten years ago, the liquor store was a brown-bag place...now they do wine-tastings. That's progress for you.

Actually, the Hill is spreading northward into NE as well. Even halfway up to Gallaudet is in pretty good shape now. I feel like if the NoMa construction stays on schedule, there will be a lot of upgrade pressure to the east. That'll knock a few more blocks into the 'nice' category...

Last edited by saganista; 12-09-2007 at 04:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC