Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 06:30 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,989 times

Advertisements

The fastest growing ethnic group in DC is Hispanic and there are very few of them working for DC Government or Metro.

It seems like nearly 100% of the people working for METRO is Black. Isn't there any middle class white, Asian or Hispanic people who would want to work there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 07:18 AM

153 posts, read 306,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeltwayCFA View Post
I've been in three different city government buildings and there was not a single white or asian person working for the city. The city is now 40% white and 5% asian. 100% of the workers at the Southwest DMV were black, 100% black at the DMV Vehicle Inspection Station, 100% at the Henry J Daly Building working casher or security. The city labor force is really lacking diversity based upon my unscientific research.

Don't you know that the DMV is the black man's revenge against the white man for slavery?

Department of Motor Vehicles - YouTube

Old 09-24-2013, 08:52 AM

999 posts, read 2,011,048 times
I don't think that's accurate. You are only seeing the customer service side of WMATA. The people working in the Metro station booths, the train conductors, station safety crews (the dudes with the yellow vests) and bus drivers are staffed mostly by black employees. You see those folks on the Metro.

You don't see white and Asian technicians working on broken elevators or escalators. You don't see white & black crews working on train track repair and installation during the all-night shifts. Many of the WMATA elevator repair contractors are staffed with country-boy white employees. There is far greater representation of white and Latino races in the WMATA police force.

In the WMATA administrative offices, you have professionals from multiple race backgrounds. But you don't see those folks. Like the DC government, WMATA has a bifurcated system where more white/Asian workers are staffing higher paying mechanical jobs and holding executive positions within WMATA itself. The lower-paying customer service jobs and transportation driving fall to black employees. Education, skills, connections and a dash of institutional racism all play a role here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
The fastest growing ethnic group in DC is Hispanic and there are very few of them working for DC Government or Metro.

It seems like nearly 100% of the people working for METRO is Black. Isn't there any middle class white, Asian or Hispanic people who would want to work there?

Old 09-24-2013, 11:37 AM

67 posts, read 95,940 times
Someone talking about "Diversity" needs to go ahead and understand the fact that "Diversity" really only means you need more blacks, or religious minorities. I have pretty much never heard anyone say "We need to get a white guy in here..."

Old 09-24-2013, 01:16 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco81 View Post
Someone talking about "Diversity" needs to go ahead and understand the fact that "Diversity" really only means you need more blacks, or religious minorities. I have pretty much never heard anyone say "We need to get a white guy in here..."
How about a unskilled or semi skilled immigrant, vs. only hiring American born Blacks?

Old 09-24-2013, 02:53 PM

530 posts, read 1,359,715 times
For the record, how much do DMV jobs usually pay around?

I know there's different jobs at the DMV but what are the general ranges?

Old 09-24-2013, 03:36 PM

566 posts, read 1,556,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
For the record, how much do DMV jobs usually pay around?

I know there's different jobs at the DMV but what are the general ranges?
Not sure about the DMV, but I looked up the salary of the totally incompetent "supervisor" I encountered at the Office of Tax and Revenue, and she made $48,000/year. If that's all they pay a senior supervisor, then no wonder all they can attract are unqualified candidates.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:43 PM

9 posts, read 12,165 times
Just curious. OP, you mention your unscientific research, yet attribute percentages to your numbers. Did you count everyone you encountered as well as employees who work in different locales and divisions to arrive at those numbers or percentages? I suppose I've never even thought to assess the workforce at the DMV when I go there to simply get a vehicle registered.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:28 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,752,966 times
This whole discussion is so misguided, I don't even know where to start.

It's not about a racial thing. It's about the expectation and stereotype that you set for yourself that determines where you end up.

Plus, I think DMV workers are doing an excellent job, considering how much changes they have to deal with in software upgrades recently.

You are treated, just as same as you treat other people. We have a President that's African American. We have woman Prime Ministers throughout the continents. We have three girls on TV that can fix up your car better than you can. And I can go on forever.

If you want to stick with the race, by all means, go ahead. You know that feeling you have that you might be missing out on something sometimes? Well....

Do you live at DMV? How do you know if there aren't enough people working at DMV? Where are you people getting all your data from??

Old 09-24-2013, 10:53 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,855,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
You don't see white and Asian technicians working on broken elevators or escalators.
I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC