Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2013, 09:10 PM

709 posts, read 1,130,846 times

Advertisements

So metro is totally redesigning their rail cars and they plan to replace around 50% of the fleet by 2018 with these new trains:

D.C. Metro To Begin Running New Railcars In Late 2014 - WNYC

The old 1000 series crappy cars will be the first to go. I'm most happy about that. Those cars suck.

I won't know how I feel about these new ones until I actually ride in them, but the only thing I dislike so far is the cold and hard look of the interior. Very NYC ish. I can't imagine falling asleep in one of those as easily as in the current fleet. I think the current interior is much more inviting.. but I support losing the carpet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 09:35 PM

69 posts, read 113,217 times
Interesting, its funny that you say these trains look similar to the ones in NYC. Kawasaki built the new ones running in NYC and looks like their building the new DC lines. Besides the color schemes, the seating arrangement are total different then the NYC variants. I like these new deigns! reminds me of the subways i miss oh so much.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy514 View Post
Interesting, its funny that you say these trains look similar to the ones in NYC. Kawasaki built the new ones running in NYC and looks like their building the new DC lines. Besides the color schemes, the seating arrangement are total different then the NYC variants. I like these new deigns! reminds me of the subways i miss oh so much.
You actually LIKE the NYC subway cars? The subway itself is awesome because of its coverage, convenience, express tracks and 24/7 schedule. I admit that. Can't really say the rail cars themselves are that great.

However I remember riding on a newer one about 2 years ago that had an automated system telling you which station you were at and which station was next. It looked exactly like the system metro is putting in these newer cars. Having train operators make live announcements is hit or miss because half the time you can't hear them or understand them because of volume, noise or static problems. An automated system is a no-brainer and should of been implemented since the 90's.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:38 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,460,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral View Post
You actually LIKE the NYC subway cars? The subway itself is awesome because of its coverage, convenience, express tracks and 24/7 schedule. I admit that. Can't really say the rail cars themselves are that great.

However I remember riding on a newer one about 2 years ago that had an automated system telling you which station you were at and which station was next. It looked exactly like the system metro is putting in these newer cars. Having train operators make live announcements is hit or miss because half the time you can't hear them or understand them because of volume, noise or static problems. An automated system is a no-brainer and should of been implemented since the 90's.
Those new trains were the R142's made by Kawasaki - who is also manufacturing our 7000 series. They are nice cars. I think our 7000 series interiors look a lot better, even though I think WMATA botched the seating arrangement when they didn't adopt NYCT bench-style seating. That one major major gripe aside, I think our new cars look even better than the new R188's that just went into service in NY at the beginning of the month. I don't have a good pic of the R188 unfortunately.

NYCT R142/(A) 2000

WMATA 7000 Series 2014

Old 11-25-2013, 11:32 AM

I agree they screwed up the seating yet AGAIN. It seems metro is in love with forward facing seats even though they no longer make sense.

The system has reached a level of crowding where we really need bench seating. Unless it's 10pm on a Sunday night at the end of the line.. Metro gets a lot of riders. Plus the ridership will only increase in the coming years. Forward facing seats should be limited to the ends of cars if they have them at all.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:34 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,288,115 times
A nice compromise would have been the European technique of putting longitudinal seating on one side and transverse on the other...and alternating them at each door break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC