Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 10:53 AM

153 posts, read 306,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Well since I'm the OP, I think I can help this out.

So what is everyone's thoughts on this. Have the Police handled this situation properly? Should they have gone about this different?

Do you blame the school system for allowing so much time to go past for her to be reported missing?

There is also a severe miscommunication that transpired when the Amber Alerts were to be released. There have been different explanations given but it sounds like the mother did authorize the Amber Alert immediately and other jurisdictions were prevented from being informed. Sounds like this girl has been failed by many many people in this situation. Certainly very sad.
I most definitely do not blame the school. The school was asking about her absence early on and was being lied to by Relisha's own mother who told them she was out sick and with a "Doctor" (the reality was the mother gave her child away and was trying to cover up for herself). Had this been a legitimate "sick leave" by Relisha and the school pressed it further demanding to see extra proof and get police involved I'm sure everyone would have criticized the school for over-reacting and meddling in peoples personal affairs. The school depends on information from children's parents and if they are being lied to by them than it is the parent's fault and NOT the schools. DC schools are full of a ton of other children with excessive absences and they rely on the parents for information as sending out police on each of these every single day is just not practical. The school is ultimately the one that finally figured out something was fishy and got this whole investigation started. If anything I commend the school for the action they took!

As far as the delayed Amber Alert goes I severly doubt that it would have had any outcome on this situation as Relisha had already been missing for quit some time before that. That said there is no excuse for the miscommunication that happened and I hope they learn from and correct those mistakes from occurring in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 01:31 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,215,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthEast Coast 202 View Post
Only four posts?
Smh.

People in this city don't give a damn about anything but their jobs and themselves.
Does making a meaningless post make you feel more important? I can tell you that I've done a lot more for this cause than you have. I was in Kenilworth Park with my fire house assisting. Thanks for judging everyone because they didn't feel the need to post something on a stupid internet forum.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:41 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,866,360 times
I usually don't come to this board because I don't live in the town. However, I have been reading about this story because it's so tragic. I thought there was an update last week that the police found a man's body in the park while they were looking for Relisha. It turned out he was the janitor from the shelter and it appeared to be suicide. If it's him, there is probably little chance of Relisha being found unless somebody comes forward that knows about what happened. The whole thing is just heartbreaking.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:59 AM

116 posts, read 212,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthEast Coast 202
Only four posts?
Smh.

People in this city don't give a damn about anything but their jobs and themselves.
Other than express shock, there isn't much to discuss or debate.

I think that this case highlights the general dysfunction that exists in the DC bureaucracy. When my son has missed school at his Charter, I've provided a note on letterhead signed by his physician. I think that the school should have pressed her mother for a note, and social workers should have followed up when the child wasn't in school for more than five days without a physician's note.

I think that the mother bears a lot of blame in this matter. She didn't report the girl was missing. She let her daughter go off with some guy without supervision.

This article in the Post about how she would pretend to be sick to get out of the homeless shelter just breaks my heart.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:40 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
It's never too late to ask why this woman....the mother....who obviously never had a pot to pee in and is an unfit mother.....was able to squeeze out 4 children? No, I am not advocating for a ban or a limit on childbirth....I'm advocating for a society of people with some semblance of personal responsibility.....who knows how to have sex without getting pregnant. Or even better, abstain from sex until he AND she can afford to have children.

This, of course, does not even broach the topic of worthless parenting that goes on in minority communities in DC.

It's an epidemic. There ARE other Relisha Rudd's. MANY of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: