Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 07:08 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,112 times

Advertisements

Thanks

Old 04-08-2014, 07:46 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
It's not really material to the discussion but different maps have different boundaries for Petworth. Some have it east of Georgia Ave and others have Arkansas Ave as the western boundary. The northern edge varies between Emerson and Kennedy.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:36 PM

857 posts, read 1,201,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
It's not really material to the discussion but different maps have different boundaries for Petworth. Some have it east of Georgia Ave and others have Arkansas Ave as the western boundary. The northern edge varies between Emerson and Kennedy.
only newcomers and gentrifiers go by those neighborhood names anyway.........locals know it as uptown.......if you wannabe specific, then theyll be like "well im from 640" Im from crittenden, im from KDY im from Upshur and etc......

Old 04-08-2014, 11:53 PM

999 posts, read 2,011,372 times
OK...so allow me to roll my eyes at the fact that Petworth takes up a whopping 18 percent of the Ward 4 populated land area. Although I believe the population of Petworth is pretty significant for Ward 4.

Questions:

1. What is the average and median per capita household income in Petworth vs. other Ward 4 neighborhoods such as Sheperd Park and Takoma Park?

2. Can political donation amounts be calculated by DC neighborhood? Again, how does Petworth stack up against other Ward 4 neighborhoods?

My point was that Petworth does not hold enough sway over the political fortunes of Ward 4. Land acreage means very little if the neighborhood has less household wealth than other areas of DC. People living in houses--not condos or row homes have more clout.

Yes, I know single home lots with beautiful green grass, minivans on driveways, garages, hedges, kiddie pools and gardens must make the New Urbanist from the gritty Shaw neighborhood wanna puke. Ward 4 is a completely different beast from your Ward 1 base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
Why don't you go back and read my post. I attributed the statements to each person specifically so an obtuse response like this would be unnecessary, which again sidesteps the obvious reality that Petworth and its voters make up a large portion of Ward 4.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:34 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
OK...so allow me to roll my eyes at the fact that Petworth takes up a whopping 18 percent of the Ward 4 populated land area. Although I believe the population of Petworth is pretty significant for Ward 4.
You called Petworth a 'sliver' of Ward 4. Under no objective measure whatsoever, can you call the largest neighborhood in a Ward a 'sliver'. It's an absurd assertion from a geography standpoint, a population standpoint or a registered voter standpoint.

Lets be real, calling Petworth a sliver just happened to be that minute's jab at a certain demographic and is not grounded in any reality.

Quote:
Questions:

1. What is the average and median per capita household income in Petworth vs. other Ward 4 neighborhoods such as Sheperd Park and Takoma Park?

2. Can political donation amounts be calculated by DC neighborhood? Again, how does Petworth stack up against other Ward 4 neighborhoods?

My point was that Petworth does not hold enough sway over the political fortunes of Ward 4. Land acreage means very little if the neighborhood has less household wealth than other areas of DC. People living in houses--not condos or row homes have more clout.
You can go ahead and look up the answers to your questions yourself Coldbliss. They are begging at a false premise: that money is the most important thing on election day.

Votes are the most important thing. Votes are the 'end'. Money is just ONE of the 'means' to achieving that end. Petworth contains approximately 29% of Ward 4 registered voters, and delivered approximately 25% of the total Ward 4 votes in April's primary. Politically, you're not very astute if you're rolling your eyes at Petworth.

Quote:
Yes, I know single home lots with beautiful green grass, minivans on driveways, garages, hedges, kiddie pools and gardens must make the New Urbanist from the gritty Shaw neighborhood wanna puke. Ward 4 is a completely different beast from your Ward 1 base.
I'm sure you visit these city neighborhoods frequently on google streetview, but Shaw is almost entirely in Ward 6 (if you want to credit the neighborhood with some U street bars in ward 1, we'll take them).

Last edited by KStreetQB; 04-09-2014 at 09:50 AM..

Old 04-09-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
only newcomers and gentrifiers go by those neighborhood names anyway.........locals know it as uptown.......if you wannabe specific, then theyll be like "well im from 640" Im from crittenden, im from KDY im from Upshur and etc......
I've lived in the area for over 30 years and other than on this forum, I've never heard it called uptown. The Uptown I know is on Connecticut Ave.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:41 AM

Bowser doesn't roll her eyes at Petworth. Not only are there voters, Petworth is politically active.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:09 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
I've lived in the area for over 30 years and other than on this forum, I've never heard it called uptown. The Uptown I know is on Connecticut Ave.
You don't know many local black people.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
You don't know many local black people.
That will surprise my neighbors in Crestwood. I could have been fooled, but many of them appear black.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:55 AM

857 posts, read 1,201,003 times
Quote:
That will surprise my neighbors in Crestwood. I could have been fooled, but many of them appear black.
did u live east of 16th ST before the gentrifiers invaded that area? Cuz if you did it wouldnt be such a foreign term......*sigh*

I doubt this term will be used in 10 years, but Uptown DC referred to the eastern, poorer 1/3rd of the NW quadrant. anything north of downtown east of 16th st.......

like I said, I think the only neighborhood names locals actually use were petworth, columbia Heights, Logan circle and Shaw.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC