Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 10:31 AM

2,852 posts, read 2,306,439 times

Advertisements

My vote would be for Mt Vernon Square. Especially since price isn't an issue. Best location, really in the heart of the city. There are maybe a dozen restaurants in the immediate area and you are a safe at night walk from Penn Quarter/Gallery Place and it puts you closer to Georgetown, 14th Street, Dupont, etc.

I would only vote for H Street if you are looking for a "small town" row house with a yard feel. H Street has an "up and coming" commercial strip with some bars and restaurants. Once you go off H Street is it basically all small row houses with little front yards. It gives off a charming feel (if occasionally rough in places). The downside is that not close to Metro and is a little isolated.
H Street has a couple new apartment buildings near Union Station, but if you are going to live in an apartment building, mind as well do it in a more vibrant, better located neighborhood in NW.

As has been pointed out NOMA is a neighborhood of the future. The neighborhood is still pretty sterile and isolated. The benefit is that you can give a nice place in a new amenity rich building for less than a comparable price in NW. But, in your price range that isn't an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 10:52 AM

32,157 posts, read 34,833,561 times
Mt. Vernon Square is more centrally located, but it's a bit "blech" for my taste. That is, if we're talking roughly about the area around the convention center up to the Yale Lofts near the tunnel. There are still a lot of large parking lots there. The walkable scale isn't really quite there, imo. City Vista is okay, I guess. And I suppose it's not far from Chinatown. I suppose that's the biggest upside.

If I had to choose among these three, I would probably go with NoMa. It was terrible two or three years ago, but it seems to be developing the fastest.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:38 AM

2,852 posts, read 2,306,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Mt. Vernon Square is more centrally located, but it's a bit "blech" for my taste. That is, if we're talking roughly about the area around the convention center up to the Yale Lofts near the tunnel. There are still a lot of large parking lots there. The walkable scale isn't really quite there, imo. City Vista is okay, I guess. And I suppose it's not far from Chinatown. I suppose that's the biggest upside.

If I had to choose among these three, I would probably go with NoMa. It was terrible two or three years ago, but it seems to be developing the fastest.

I would agree with all of those points about Mt. Vernon Square. It is still a work in progress..no question.

But, IMO NoMa also has those issue (lots of parking lots, somewhat generic feeling, empty lots, etc) with a worse location.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:11 PM

32,157 posts, read 34,833,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
I would agree with all of those points about Mt. Vernon Square. It is still a work in progress..no question.

But, IMO NoMa also has those issue (lots of parking lots, somewhat generic feeling, empty lots, etc) with a worse location.
Many places in DC have a generic feeling, dominated by circa 2011 architecture and so forth.

I'm no fan of any of these places, tbh. Aesthetically, NoMa is the most appealing to me, especially after installing a new bicycle track along First Street. I was judging based largely on that (as well as proximity to Metro). If I were going to spend $3,000 to $3,500, I wouldn't be considering any of these places though. I would be looking into Logan Circle or U Street.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:03 PM

7,510 posts, read 7,236,975 times
Interested in feedback in apartments in the Mt. Vernon Square area. Looking for a 2 bedroom or 2 bedroom and den for $3,000 to $3,7000. Also interested in any feedback on new properties in that area coming on the market in the next couple of months.

- Gables
- Meridan (seems to be rated very highly)

Old 08-18-2014, 06:56 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,757,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Looking to relocate into DC and interested in feedback in the following areas. Curious how they compare in crime, value, walkability, etc.:

- H Street
- NOMA
- Mt Vernon Square

Looking at a monthly rent around $3,000 to $3,500. Place needs to allow pets. Partner and I are in mid to late 40s.
They just put up a new building called Lyric. Maybe you should check it out. Vernon Square, 2 blocks away from Chinatown, etc. I think it's in your range, plus it's brand new. Don't ask me how I know.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:38 PM

7,510 posts, read 7,236,975 times
Thanks for the into, but cannot seem to find any info on Vernon Square or do you mean Meridian at Mt Vernon Square? Has it open yet or how did you hear about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
They just put up a new building called Lyric. Maybe you should check it out. Vernon Square, 2 blocks away from Chinatown, etc. I think it's in your range, plus it's brand new. Don't ask me how I know.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:55 PM

282 posts, read 445,169 times
I live in the Mt. Vernon triangle area and love it. Lyric is now renting, and mflats next door to it should start taking applications shortly. Meridian has been open for a while. Some of the condos are also on the rental market--City Vista, Madrigal Lofts, and Yale.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:02 AM

551 posts, read 1,877,701 times
H street!

Old 09-01-2014, 07:46 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,648,644 times
H Street. Try the Senate Square apartments. Right next to a Giant grocery, Union Station, a few blocks from H Street Organic Market. Walkability I'd put at a very comfortable level. Crime is moderately low. But at 3,000 a month, why not Friendship Heights? Glover Park? Cleveland Park? The apartments at the Newseum residences two blocks from the Mall near Archives?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC