Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 05:25 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,703,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyw90 View Post
Very few in Baltimore, Philly, NJ, and NYC dress even remotely like they do here. I'll give you Boston maybe, but that tends to be more of a meatheady, Red Sox backwards cap wearing, Irish pub, bro look. It's also countered by tons of tatted hipsters and people wearing fashionista black, NYC style.
Pretty sure I didn't list Baltimorr, Philly, NJ, or NYC. The OP ranted that southerners had removed east coast culture from DC and I pointed out that it was east coast culture. What you're saying is it's not urban east coast culture, but there's more to the east coast than a few big cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 05:31 AM

118 posts, read 193,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Pretty sure I didn't list Baltimorr, Philly, NJ, or NYC. The OP ranted that southerners had removed east coast culture from DC and I pointed out that it was east coast culture. What you're saying is it's not urban east coast culture, but there's more to the east coast than a few big cities.
I'm the OP. What you're referring to are small enclaves, mainly in NE. Long Island is NOT super prep. More of an Italian look. When people think of the East Coast they mainly think of the large cities, along with their closer in burbs. At least that's what I'm talking about.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
But next to none of those places you pointed out are big cities. Big cities typically have their own culture that isn't defined by the culture of wealthy outer ring suburbia. The culture in NYC isn't dictated by whats going on in Bronxville or White Plains. For decades, DC's main culture was black culture being that DC was over two-thirds black. It just so happens that in 2014, the types of people who grew up frequenting Martha's Vineyard and graduated from Princeton, Yale and Dartmouth are coming to DC because the District is one of the only places in America with a sturdy job market for college educated people with the right connections. Many of the people gentrifying DC were not even raised in big cities at all and it is very apparent. How esle do you explain the influx of suburban Middle American chain store "culture" infiltrating the District with CVS and Walmart popping up in what used to be the hood a few years ago? The increase in preppiness in DC over the past ten years is a reflection of wealthy well-connected mostly white people who long abandoned the city for the 'burbs reclaiming DC after decades of the District being a God-forsaken land left for an impoverished black population to kill itself.

And preppy style is more dominant among the white population in DC than it is any other major East Coast city. NYC sure isn't like that. Different types of people wear whatever they want in NYC. But NYC is the fashion capital of the world. But it transcends fashion because NYC is infinitely more diverse than DC in every respect. In Baltimore and Philly, the native working class white populations dress plain or more urban like their black counterparts. The OP has a point about the magnitude of gentrification in DC. DC is only really a rough city for the generationally poor black folks who were born and raised there. White people haven't been scared of DC for quite a few years now. Even in the formerly roughest areas of NE and SE DC, there are white yuppies living there. DC has become like the East Coast San Francisco. But at least even SF has intimidating Road Warrior/Hell's Angels types, a ton of crazy and or addicted homeless white people in Golden Gate Park, the Tenderloin and throughout the city and even a handful of ghetto white people in the diverse poorer higher crime southern fringes of the city (i.e. around Hunter's Point, Visitacion Valley, Oceanview) to counter the balance. White people in DC are by far the preppiest population, as a whole, of any major city on the East Coast and maybe even the country. Even Boston has its rough working class and ghetto white people. There are no real ghetto or working class white people in DC or any of the beltway suburbs. That, in itself, is strange for an East Coast city, but DC has always been different in that regard. One half of DC is made up of Smirnoff Raw Tea Partay commercial Ralph Lauren catalog look alikes (including the worst impractical looks from the catalog) and the other half of the city looks like Wale and Fat Trel with little in between.
Yeah yeah. Everything white people do is terrible. They move out of the city for the suburbs 50 year ago, they're terrible. They move back into the city, they're terrible. Wal-Mart opens to serve low income residents, wealthy white people are to blame! I wish people could let their racism rest on here. I see far more fashion conscious black people rocking the prep look here than anyone else and, yes, the economy is moving back into urban areas like it was until the 1960s. Companies are investing in these areas again.

The OP said the style (which I think is far more prevalent in Arlington than DC) is not east coast. I pointed out it is east coast, just not what he chooses to define as east coast or has experienced of it. As i said above, the east coast doesn't stop at city limits or wherever someone arbitrarily thinks "other" people live.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:41 AM

Quote:
I'm the OP. What you're referring to are small enclaves, mainly in NE. Long Island is NOT super prep. More of an Italian look. When people think of the East Coast they mainly think of the large cities, along with their closer in burbs. At least that's what I'm talking about.
Then I encourage you to travel more and stop being so exclusionary about who is allowed into your "east coast" club. It's the edge of an ocean. That's it.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Then I encourage you to travel more and stop being so exclusionary about who is allowed into your "east coast" club. It's the edge of an ocean. That's it.
I've covered almost the entire mid atlantic and north east. Have you?

You seem to take this personally, lol. My original point stands; the exurbian hordes from the Midwest and the South have drastically changed the fashion and culture of DC.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bossman View Post
nothing wrong with rocking some salmon pants like so in the Summer time. step your fashion game up.
Wow....really?

Old 08-18-2014, 06:02 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,969,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
But at least even SF has intimidating Road Warrior/Hell's Angels types, a ton of crazy and or addicted homeless white people in Golden Gate Park, the Tenderloin and throughout the city and even a handful of ghetto white people in the diverse poorer higher crime southern fringes of the city (i.e. around Hunter's Point, Visitacion Valley, Oceanview) to counter the balance. White people in DC are by far the preppiest population, as a whole, of any major city on the East Coast and maybe even the country. Even Boston has its rough working class and ghetto white people. There are no real ghetto or working class white people in DC or any of the beltway suburbs. That, in itself, is strange for an East Coast city, but DC has always been different in that regard. One half of DC is made up of Smirnoff Raw Tea Partay commercial Ralph Lauren catalog look alikes (including the worst impractical looks from the catalog) and the other half of the city looks like Wale and Fat Trel with little in between.
What in the world are you talking about? Where do people come up with this kind of stuff? What is even a working class? Are there any special identifiers? What does a working class even look like? Where do they hang out? What do they eat for breakfast? Can you walk into a space and automatically identify the working class type, or as you say “in between” types, among the Ralph Lauren and fat wales?

See where I am going with this? It just sounds silly! You make absolutely no friggin sense whatsoever! Really! I swear, some of you people think you have some type of super power that you can identify certain groups of people that live in this area… Where does this even come from?

Old 08-18-2014, 06:05 AM

Quote:
I've covered almost the entire mid atlantic and north east. Have you?

You seem to take this personally, lol. My original point stands; the exurbian hordes from the Midwest and the South have drastically changed the fashion and culture of DC.
Ha. I actually can't stand the super preps and agree some are altering DC. I travel all over the place, though, and have never seen that look dominate outside the Northeast and maybe parts of the south. Haven't spent much time in Kansas, but hard to imagine it's more prep than New England. I think you have a very skewed perception of people outside the narrow spectrum of the Mid Atlantic and Northeast.

Anyway, people move. That's what they've always done. No need to hate. You might move someday, too.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Ha. I actually can't stand the super preps and agree some are altering DC. I travel all over the place,though,and have never seen that look dominate outside the Northeast and maybe parts of the south. Haven't spent much time in Kansas, but hard to imagine its more prep than New England.
Hmm, yea maybe NE. I lived in Mass on and off for over 13 years. Honestly, I never saw the over the top preppyness that I've seen in DC my entire time there. Maybe it's more in Maine and the Cape. Yea, definitely the Cape. Connecticut on the other hand just has a super yuppie vibe. Jeans, with a polo shirt. Definitely a bit more toned down than the loud colors and patterns I see here now.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:28 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,240 times
Fashion Nazis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC