Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 04:31 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,148,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
In the first four months of the general-election campaign, Bowser has avoided debates, offered few hard positions on the issues and filled her speeches with broad generalizations.
Muriel Bowser

I've yet to hear a single, specific policy position out of Muriel Bowser. And I resent any "strategy" that relies solely on the idea that being a Democrat is enough to win the election.

Muriel Bowser’s Summer Strategy: Ignore the Competition | Local News | Washingtonian

This is an important election, especially for the black residents of DC and other who have been gentrified right out of their neighborhoods. What in the world does Muriel Bowser bring to the job that those who don't make $100k per year can actually relate to?

Does anyone know???

Old 09-15-2014, 06:14 PM

566 posts, read 1,558,658 times
Of course not. It's Carol all the way.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:49 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,003,108 times
It's not that Bowser is the ideal candidate for mayor, it's that she is way better than 2nd & 3rd choice. David Catania would be a disaster as mayor. He is an insufferable bully to people who aren't on "David's Team." If you think Adrian Fenty had trouble getting along with others, you haven't seen anything yet.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
It's not that Bowser is the ideal candidate for mayor, it's that she is way better than 2nd & 3rd choice. David Catania would be a disaster as mayor. He is an insufferable bully to people who aren't on "David's Team." If you think Adrian Fenty had trouble getting along with others, you haven't seen anything yet.
I think you're glossing over the real issue you have with David Catania.....and that is you hate the fact that he's a former Republican. It does not escape me that you would use liberal buzz words such as "bully" to make your case. A liberal calling a former Republican a "bully" tells the entire story.

Even worse is that you feel that being a "bully" is plenty enough to vote for someone who quite literally brings nothing to the race for Mayor or to DC.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I think you're glossing over the real issue you have with David Catania.....and that is you hate the fact that he's a former Republican. It does not escape me that you would use liberal buzz words such as "bully" to make your case. A liberal calling a former Republican a "bully" tells the entire story.

Even worse is that you feel that being a "bully" is plenty enough to vote for someone who quite literally brings nothing to the race for Mayor or to DC.
You've just pointed out another reason David won't win. This is a town that votes Democratic and David despite his new label is still a Republican. I doubt he'll even win the gay vote. Bowser will bury him at the election.

Dream on.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
You've just pointed out another reason David won't win. This is a town that votes Democratic and David despite his new label is still a Republican. I doubt he'll even win the gay vote. Bowser will bury him at the election.

Dream on.
Bury him? I assume you mean "win decisively." That, in fact, will not happen. Bowser might edge him out, but she will not win decisively.

The Washington Post gives a pretty good run down of why Bowser is not the run-away favorite:

Quote:
This could be a tight contest in which voters elect the city’s first white mayor (Catania or Schwartz), first openly gay mayor (Catania), or first mayor who isn’t a Democrat (Catania and Schwartz are former Republicans). Or it could run according to the script that has governed every mayoral race in the District’s four decades of home rule: Democrat wins, no real contest.

It all depends on who bothers to show up in what all sides expect to be a very low-turnout election — the result of lack of enthusiasm about the candidates, the long-standing pattern of barely contested November mayoral elections, cynicism born of the cavalcade of corruption cases during Gray’s term or a blend of those reasons. Will young newcomers show up? Will black voters, a majority of whom sided with Gray against Bowser in the primary, fall in with the Democratic nominee?
Bowser? Catania? Schwartz? D.C. mayoral race rests on an uninspired electorate - The Washington Post

Old 09-16-2014, 11:27 AM

465 posts, read 658,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Bury him? I assume you mean "win decisively." That, in fact, will not happen. Bowser might edge him out, but she will not win decisively.

The Washington Post gives a pretty good run down of why Bowser is not the run-away favorite:

Bowser? Catania? Schwartz? D.C. mayoral race rests on an uninspired electorate - The Washington Post
I'm not a Bowser or Catania fan by any stretch of the imagination but the Washington Post is rarely correct about predicting DC elections. Bowser will definitely win with probably about 47% of the vote.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:11 PM

No news organization ever predicts a lop sided election. I predict Bowser wins by double digits.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:17 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,566,495 times
I think Catania is going to win this. I was EoTR the other day and I've seen quite a few people with Catania yard signs and some black folks campaigning for him on Alabama ave. Who knows this race could surprise everyone.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcallday View Post
I'm not a Bowser or Catania fan by any stretch of the imagination but the Washington Post is rarely correct about predicting DC elections. Bowser will definitely win with probably about 47% of the vote.
47% to what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: