Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 10:49 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,182,740 times

Advertisements

I have been having this debate with DCALLDAY in another thread about the some of the slight cultural differences between black people who live Uptown versus black people who are from SE DC. As a DC native, I can definitely tell there are some slight differences in the accent, dress, attitudes, etc... For people who know and interact with both, what are your thoughts?

Old 05-08-2014, 11:03 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,556,912 times
We shouldn't stereotype people based on race.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:09 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,182,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
We shouldn't stereotype people based on race.

It's not a stereotype! I gave some specifics! The same question can be asked about any location. Brooklyn vs. Queens, Maryland vs. Virginia, etc........Plus, I am black! LOL

Old 05-08-2014, 12:27 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,556,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
It's not a stereotype! I gave some specifics! The same question can be asked about any location. Brooklyn vs. Queens, Maryland vs. Virginia, etc........Plus, I am black! LOL
I just think emphasis on race is wrong especially if it is coming from a member of that race.

America has to stopped being so obsessed with skin color so we can all move on.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:40 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,923,077 times
As a black DC native, I can admit to that.

Blacks in uptown are somewhat more urban, like blacks in Philly and NYC.
Blacks in SE (or East of the Anacostia in general) are somewhat more country, like in the South.

But overall, the black DC native on average has the worst attributes of Northern and Southern blacks; The Northern attitude and Southern ignorance.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:22 PM

857 posts, read 1,204,730 times
be careful......some self appointed know it all yet know nothing gentrifier may crash this thread trying to tell you "no real Washingtonian says Uptown. And its southeast Washington, not SE" *rollseyes*

With that being said, from what I saw, A lot of Uptown dudes are fly guys. they get gully and grimy (esp if theyre from 7th and O, 640, Hobart, KDY, 1-4 Zone) but a lot of those guys had a fly guys swagger. A lot of the flyest women in DC are from Uptown.

SE people can be some of the GRIMIEST, and most PSYCHOTIC people known to man. If you hang out outside the gentrified zones, and hill/k street staffer hotspots long enough, Youll know a SE dude when you see one. They don't get fly like Uptown dudes. Even though they can be friendly if you come in peace, you can tell a lot of those guys are heavy into that guns drugs and murder lifestyle. A lot of SE women are some of (if not THE MOST) ratchet females in the DMV. Friendly yet crazy beyond belief. Only women I know in the DMV wearing hot pink, bright orange and neon green hairweaves and wigs.

NE dudes are either grimy or theyre some straight weirdos. I know stone cold gangbangers in NE that act like weird like Tabi bonney (whos also from NE ironically lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do a Barrel Roll View Post

Blacks in SE (or East of the Anacostia in general) are somewhat more country, like in the South.

But overall, the black DC native on average has the worst attributes of Northern and Southern blacks; The Northern attitude and Southern ignorance.
DC blacks period act like theyre still in North Carolina...Uptown, NE, Southside.....its all the same to me...they definitely don't sound like people further north (although some random up north terms are used, esp SON lol)..even after you factor in the gogo music and unique clothing styles......

Old 05-08-2014, 04:24 PM

673 posts, read 1,192,071 times
Is this a joke?

Old 05-08-2014, 04:38 PM

32,181 posts, read 34,862,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I have been having this debate with DCALLDAY in another thread about the some of the slight cultural differences between black people who live Uptown versus black people who are from SE DC. As a DC native, I can definitely tell there are some slight differences in the accent, dress, attitudes, etc... For people who know and interact with both, what are your thoughts?
No. I don't think there's that much of a difference.

In the 90s, there was more of a difference in terms of dress. Universal Madness was more popular Uptown and Shooters was more popular on the Southside. But that's a rather trivial difference. If you walk into any barbershop on Georgia Avenue, it's "Shern" for Sharon, "Urrea" for area and Go-Go, old school soul, or rap music playing.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do a Barrel Roll View Post

Not really much of a difference between the two.

DC is not really similar to New York at all. DC has an old school, soulful vibe to its black community. Chuck Brown was sort of the essence of that imo. And you kinda had that with bands like Lissen and Familar Faces. NYC doesn't really have any of that left. Philly is known for soul (i.e., Teddy P., Frankie Beverly). But it's also known for loud-talking, brash, blue collar personalities like Bernard Hopkins. B. Hop is quintessentially Philly in my view.

Bernard Hopkins - 2004 Real Sports Show Interview - YouTube

Old 05-08-2014, 05:06 PM

A track suit with a chain (ice) is classic Philly style. So are Dickie's coveralls. Throw on a fresh pair of Timbs and you're set.

Peanut Live 215 Philly ( HollyHood ) - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: