Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 04:36 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,904,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmr View Post
Hmmmm... now you got me thinking. The ticket from LAS to BWI is 287/person and LAS/DCA is 500+ so it's well worth it, especially since there's three of us. I'm thinking maybe we can get on that train that you suggested for 6$/person and it's worth the money. I will do more research on the train to see where it takes us.

You haven't seen California , but then again, I haven't seen the DC area.
I'm from SoCal.

Have you driven the 405 north to LA on A Tuesday at 9am? Good. Now you know how to drive here in DC. Fly to Reagan buy 3 Smarttrip cards with 20$ on each and take the train. Watch your purse and don't fling your iphone around so a teen on summer vaca can steal it out of your distracted hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 06:15 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,527,391 times
Any tourist planning to park and drive in DC has done NO research lol.

I would never plan a trip to a city I have never been without doing any research.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:46 PM

15,160 posts, read 27,869,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Any tourist planning to park and drive in DC has done NO research lol.

I would never plan a trip to a city I have never been without doing any research.
Incredibly helpful.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Incredibly helpful.
Don't mention it.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:26 PM

57 posts, read 60,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Don't mention it.
I never stated i was planning to drive around DC and park everyday, i was asking about hotel parking passes and if there were hotels or a way to park for free for a long period of time. I had every intention of walking/metro carding it once there but the problem was what to do with my car upon arrival. I live four-five hours away so I feel a plane ride is a waste of money, time, and a general headache. However i would need to park my car somewhere for the length of my stay.

So really i have two options here - bite the bullet and pay the parking fee for the hotels in DC or go outside of DC and park for free or significantly less at the hotels.

I am just nervous about parking outside of the area i am seeing as its my first time there and i dont want to be lost or in a bad area. So outside of DC i see Americana in crystal city or somewhere in Arlington like Holiday Inn. Any other decent hotels someone has experience with?

Thanks for your input!

Old 07-07-2015, 07:18 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,013,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan89 View Post
I never stated i was planning to drive around DC and park everyday, i was asking about hotel parking passes and if there were hotels or a way to park for free for a long period of time. I had every intention of walking/metro carding it once there but the problem was what to do with my car upon arrival. I live four-five hours away so I feel a plane ride is a waste of money, time, and a general headache. However i would need to park my car somewhere for the length of my stay.

So really i have two options here - bite the bullet and pay the parking fee for the hotels in DC or go outside of DC and park for free or significantly less at the hotels.

I am just nervous about parking outside of the area i am seeing as its my first time there and i dont want to be lost or in a bad area. So outside of DC i see Americana in crystal city or somewhere in Arlington like Holiday Inn. Any other decent hotels someone has experience with?

Thanks for your input!
Many of the cheap hotels in the area are in sketchy areas. $200/night is about the going rate for modestly priced hotels. If you see something a lot cheaper you should ask why. Beware of hotels with names like "Capitol View".

Old 07-07-2015, 07:30 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,538,694 times
Quote:

Thanks for your input!
Arlington is incredibly safe. It is safer than most parts of DC.

I would recommend staying at the Holiday Inn, Best Western (free parking), Residence Inn, or the Clarion Collection Hotel. They all are decent hotels with parking fees under $15. The Americana is in a sort of boring concrete wasteland.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:57 AM

19 posts, read 26,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
I'm from SoCal.

Have you driven the 405 north to LA on A Tuesday at 9am? Good. Now you know how to drive here in DC. Fly to Reagan buy 3 Smarttrip cards with 20$ on each and take the train.....
Offtopic:

Actually I think that I-5 and I-10 are the most crowded freeways I've been on. That I-5 is always packed man, doesn't matter whether it's rush hour or not, it is always full both ways, but to my surprise, we just got back a few weeks ago, it was decent this time. There was a lot of traffic but it was moving, probably when there's an accident it just grinds to a halt.
We took Lincoln Blvd from SM to Venice Beach/Washington Blvd to find a Costo for gas, but it was a huge mistake. We spent more time/gas in traffic than we would've filled up at a regular gas station and just take the I-10 home from Santa Monica.

Anyway I'm still searching for hotels but I will stick to the advice that was given to me and just load one of those cards. I also see that they have an option to link it to an account/cc if it goes below a certain value it will automagically reload. Arlington seems more accessible for now.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:

Thanks for your input!
If I were you I would park my car in one of the Bethesda garages. Bethesda is right over the Maryland border next to DC. It is a very nice area and your car will be safe. Plus you can park for free as long as you leave the garage on a weekend. Also its a short walk to the metro.

I would park the car there and stay in a hotel there. Only 6 metro stops from downtown DC without changing lines. There is a hotel right at the metro stop. I believe its the Hyatt. I can't tell you about prices because I never stay in DC hotels since I live here.

The nicest, biggest and newest hotel in DC is the Marriott Marquee near city center. Even if you don't stay there you should walk in just to look around.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:59 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,904,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmr View Post
Offtopic:

Actually I think that I-5 and I-10 are the most crowded freeways I've been on. That I-5 is always packed man, doesn't matter whether it's rush hour or not, it is always full both ways, but to my surprise, we just got back a few weeks ago, it was decent this time. There was a lot of traffic but it was moving, probably when there's an accident it just grinds to a halt.
We took Lincoln Blvd from SM to Venice Beach/Washington Blvd to find a Costo for gas, but it was a huge mistake. We spent more time/gas in traffic than we would've filled up at a regular gas station and just take the I-10 home from Santa Monica.

Anyway I'm still searching for hotels but I will stick to the advice that was given to me and just load one of those cards. I also see that they have an option to link it to an account/cc if it goes below a certain value it will automagically reload. Arlington seems more accessible for now.
The 10 doesn't bother me I spend a lot of time btwn Westwood and shopping in SM and I rarely get stuck.
The 5 is really bad thru Orange County so I avoid it when I can but since I come up from SD there is little I can do to avoid 405. I always have errands downtown (yes dntn) and I refuse to pay the tolls
Btw. We have the same public private express lane toll situation here we call it Express Lanes
I95 and I66 is as bad as 405. The beltway has it's moments
I would never take a car into DC unless I had handicapped people with me. Take the Metro!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: