Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2015, 10:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,783 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone could comment on the general safety of the area around Q St. NW between N. Capital and First Ave. The area seems to be changing fast, so most of the information on the form may be outdated. I went to look at an apartment there, and the street seems super safe. However, it was clear there were some rough blocks in the general area.

From what I understand, this is technically Truxton Circle and a block from the Bloomingdale border. As I am working near the White House, I was originally excited about its general proximity (a 30 minute walk to work is ideal to me). However, there recently has been a spike of violence in the general area. First, a man was beaten to death on New York and N. Capital, which is about a 10-minute walk away (and from what I understand, one of the most dangerous spots in the city). Then, a man was stabbed to death on the subway at the nearby NoMA stop.

I have lived in New Orleans, so get the whole patchwork of safety concept and have a great street smart, but the recent violence seems pretty outrageous. Is this typical DC violence that is unavoidable? Or am I considering an exceptionally dangerous locale? Any advice would be appreciated. I love the apartment that I found and would really like to live there, but do not want to put myself in a dangerous situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 10:20 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,574,863 times
One shouldn't write off an area just based on a couple highly publicized crimes. I mean, people have been murdered in Georgetown and the safest parts of the DC area at times.

That being said, if you're looking for an area without a high crime rate there are much better areas in DC than the one you picked. I know people who have lived around that area and have been fine. But there's no guarantee.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:31 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,528,631 times
Those high profile murders are definitely unusual. Having said that, I wouldn't want to live in that neighborhood myself. It's transitioning but it definitely hasn't transitioned enough for me to want to live there.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:00 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,959,227 times
It's transitional. The stretch between that area is one of the few areas I never felt completely safe in, but I am female. I did not live that far from there either. Between NY ave and Florida on North Capital there is a few block stretch which is problematic. It's improving but far slower compared to the rest of the city.

DC also is far safer than New Orleans in general. Even with the recent violence. The block to block violence west of the river is not a thing. Quite the opposite, the city is in general safe west of the river with some very identifiable parts where there are issues. They are basically hotspots. I highly suggest you check out the walk score crime map. It will give you an idea of where those spots are. If it's red it's an issue, orange borderline, any shade of green, safe. If you look at the maps you will see large swaths of areas which are safe, then the hotspots.

DC is not as block to block as say new orleans or Baltimore.

In terms of the NoMA stop, he was stabbed on the train itself, not at the stop. It says nothing about NoMA. The guy ran off at NoMA, but he lived elsewhere in the city.

I would say this specific space you are mentioning may be best avoided.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:36 PM

55 posts, read 146,028 times
Burglaries, lots of burglaries. Occasional robberies. Stay away from NY Ave.. Sursum Corda area and liquor stores. Keep your head up and eyes forward and you won't have any more problems than anywhere else in the city.

Importantly, keep doors and windows locked, even when home. A lot of "new migrators" like to leave their front doors and windows open in the evenings. Please don't.

Regards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC