Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2015, 09:48 AM

280 posts, read 352,379 times

Advertisements

1. Do I need to be by a metro rail? Would I be okay if I were on a bus line?
Office is really close to Union station. (Red line)
2. How long of a commute to work am I willing to have? Would I be okay driving? Taking the commuter rail? (where will I be working?)
I dont mind 35-40 commute. I am driving in Atlanta. I would prefer rail.
3. Would I be willing to live with a roommate or multiple roommates?
No. moving with kids.
4. What amenities do I absolutely need in an apartment -- pets? gym? a/c? washer/dryer?
pretty much all.
5. What is the absolute maximum, with utilities and any fees, I can afford?
I am shooting for under 2K.
6. What is my definition of safe?
Kids friendly.
7. How important is nightlife? family community? schools?
family. schools are important,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 09:55 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,587,724 times
You're not going to find something with good public schools in the city proper at your budget.

You will likely need to look at the suburbs. You'll get more help in the forums for the suburbs:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/northern-virginia/
https://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...urbs-maryland/

Old 07-14-2015, 10:40 AM

1,797 posts, read 3,647,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musman View Post
1. Do I need to be by a metro rail? Would I be okay if I were on a bus line?
Office is really close to Union station. (Red line)
2. How long of a commute to work am I willing to have? Would I be okay driving? Taking the commuter rail? (where will I be working?)
I dont mind 35-40 commute. I am driving in Atlanta. I would prefer rail.
3. Would I be willing to live with a roommate or multiple roommates?
No. moving with kids.
4. What amenities do I absolutely need in an apartment -- pets? gym? a/c? washer/dryer?
pretty much all.
5. What is the absolute maximum, with utilities and any fees, I can afford?
I am shooting for under 2K.
6. What is my definition of safe?
Kids friendly.
7. How important is nightlife? family community? schools?
family. schools are important,
First off, I moved here from ATL back in 2012 and I love it here so much more than ATL.

1) I would recommend living by a metro if you move to the area. It makes life so much easier but apartments come with a higher price tag the closer you are. The Metro in DC is much better than the one in ATL. A bus line is fine too but I just prefer the Metro.

2) That's up to you. Take the rail for the most part unless you love driving.

3) Go for a nice safe neighborhood that is affordable. If you're looking for a larger apartment in this price point you'll have to go to some undesirable neighborhoods or buildings.

4) See above

5) That's going to be tight given the fact you have kids.

6) Ok

7) Ok

Old 07-14-2015, 10:59 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,969,559 times
I am going to be flat out, you are priced out the city, you should shoot for the burbs. Even with your budget being close is going to be difficult. You may be looking at 45+ minutes commute. Also driving to the union station area, or anywhere within DC is going to be less than ideal. This area is not a sprawling southern city, it's not nearly as friendly to cars.

Most likely you will end up in Gaithersburg or Wheaton with your budget. Not the end of the world.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:29 PM

92 posts, read 141,766 times
Working by Union Station gives you a huge advantage in my opinion, since that is accessible by both the Metro and MARC commuter train. You could consider living off the Penn Line or Camden Line. Since you're saying you work next to Union Station, you're door to door commute will be pretty decent by DC standards. You'll also be situated close to both DC and Baltimore, and while Baltimore has its problems, there is a lot of fun stuff to do there even with kids.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:25 PM

Thanks Guys. Its helping already. I didn't know about MARC.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
First off, I moved here from ATL back in 2012 and I love it here so much more than ATL.

1) I would recommend living by a metro if you move to the area. It makes life so much easier but apartments come with a higher price tag the closer you are. The Metro in DC is much better than the one in ATL. A bus line is fine too but I just prefer the Metro.

2) That's up to you. Take the rail for the most part unless you love driving.

3) Go for a nice safe neighborhood that is affordable. If you're looking for a larger apartment in this price point you'll have to go to some undesirable neighborhoods or buildings.

4) See above

5) That's going to be tight given the fact you have kids.

6) Ok

7) Ok
I hope I can catch up with Cost of living. Its about same salary but better opportunity kind of move. I am gonna miss Atlanta. Its hot but its good. I moved from South carolina. We had Charleston/Columbia/Greenville but I loved atlanta more for everything it has to offer. We ll see how it goes with DC.

Old 07-14-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
I am going to be flat out, you are priced out the city, you should shoot for the burbs. Even with your budget being close is going to be difficult. You may be looking at 45+ minutes commute. Also driving to the union station area, or anywhere within DC is going to be less than ideal. This area is not a sprawling southern city, it's not nearly as friendly to cars.

Most likely you will end up in Gaithersburg or Wheaton with your budget. Not the end of the world.
Gaithersburg. Long commute. I bet.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:57 AM

6 posts, read 6,526 times
If I were you, I would just send this list to the guys at RentalsGoneWild.com. They're pretty much like your "promove" of ATL. They're DC's Relocation Apartment Finder Source up here and have been here for about 5-6 years or so.

If you're trying to stay south of 2k, you could probably find some decent deals off the Silver Line or MD burbs that aren't too far from a metro.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: