Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 06:50 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times

Advertisements

Alexandria is (was) a great little town. King St. used to have quite a few bars with life music: the Wharf, 219 Club, Henry Africa, the Warehouse, Tiffany Tavern, 101 Royal, etc. Not so much anymore though. The rich snooty Oldie Towners make it hard on the music scene. I guess they don't like the club crowd barfing on the front stoops of their little dinky million dollar town houses. Still a good town though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 06:55 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,530,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Bethesda and Silver Spring are the best ones.

All of Northern Virginia feels artificial, stiff and half dead.
Pot meet kettle.

Seriously does it get more artificial and stiff than Bethesda?

Old 07-23-2015, 09:27 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Pot meet kettle.

Yes... its called "NOVA".

Old 07-23-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Yes... its called "NOVA".
I'm going to guess you don't know much about Northern Virginia.

One could easily say all of DC was "stiff and artificial" if all you visited was Georgetown, Foggy Bottom, and Dupont Circle. One could say all of Maryland was stiff if all you visited was Rockville, Bethesda, and National Harbor.

Most people aren't that ignorant to generalize those entire jurisdictions though.

P.S. I thought this map of the local urban census tracts was interesting and timely for those who don't think Arlington is urban: https://www.flickr.com/photos/thecourtyard/19323916463/. (Not that I'm saying every part of Arlington is as urban as say U street/Adams Morgan, etc like some like to suggest).

Some of the zip codes are pretty arguable though. My parents' census tract in Kingstowne is urban? Really??

Last edited by gomason; 07-23-2015 at 10:53 AM..

Old 07-23-2015, 11:29 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Quote:
Pot meet kettle.

With all those beautiful SFHs and mansions out in the zigzagging residential streets, I don't know if I'd call all of Bethesda "artificial", though it can indeed get stiff particularly due to the old money element. Their downtown is nice but I personally prefer Silver Spring's two downtowns.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:38 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,016 times
Quote:
I'm going to guess you don't know much about Northern Virginia.

One could easily say all of DC was "stiff and artificial" if all you visited was Georgetown, Foggy Bottom, and Dupont Circle. One could say all of Maryland was stiff if all you visited was Rockville, Bethesda, and National Harbor.

Most people aren't that ignorant to generalize those entire jurisdictions though.

P.S. I thought this map of the local urban census tracts was interesting and timely for those who don't think Arlington is urban: https://www.flickr.com/photos/thecourtyard/19323916463/. (Not that I'm saying every part of Arlington is as urban as say U street/Adams Morgan, etc like some like to suggest).

Some of the zip codes are pretty arguable though. My parents' census tract in Kingstowne is urban? Really??
I think the people who made this map are using a different standard. They are considering places like Rockville urban. Rockville is full blown suburban as far as I'm concerned. Rockville has a few blocks of tall buildings near two of their metro stations, but that isn't enough to be "urban" IMO. If that's the case.. then almost every town in the U.S. is "urban" lol.

This map does not help your argument at all.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:40 AM

Quote:
I think the people who made this map are using a different standard. They are considering places like Rockville urban. Rockville is full blown suburban as far as I'm concerned. Rockville has a few blocks of tall buildings near two of their metro stations, but that isn't enough to be "urban" IMO. If that's the case.. then almost every town in the U.S. is "urban" lol.

This map does not help your argument at all.
I'm not really using this map to "prove" the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor or Crystal City/Pentagon City is urban. It should be pretty obvious that it's urban. I've been to every state of the Mississippi save Michigan and Wisconsin. The R-B and CC/PC corridors are more urban that numerous mid size and even some big cities. More people probably walk, bike, and use transit in Arlington in a day than probably the population of Dallas does in a year, for example (exaggeration I know, but I swear I might have seen 1 person walking the whole time I was in downtown Dallas). Charlotte and Atlanta are pretty similar too. Arlington is not as urban as DC, obviously, but that doesn't mean it's not urban at all.

Yes, obviously the map exaggerates some areas as "urban" but the same can be said of some of the neighborhoods in DC. Obviously every census tract in Arlington isn't urban just as every urban tract in DC isn't urban.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:04 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,995,391 times
Why accept second best? Live in the District.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Why accept second best? Live in the District.
It doesn't affect me personally but if I had kids, I would definitely not live in DC. You'd think with a tax base as wealthy as DC's, they'd be able to have a semi-competent government?

Old 07-27-2015, 01:46 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,995,391 times
Quote:
It doesn't affect me personally but if I had kids, I would definitely not live in DC. You'd think with a tax base as wealthy as DC's, they'd be able to have a semi-competent government?
Competent government, good school, rich cultural environment, parks, museums, transportation. The entire package. Kids thrive here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC