Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 08:08 AM

10 posts, read 9,005 times

Advertisements

Looking at an apartment in NE DC, at H st NE and 17th st NE (W of the river). Do not know the area very well and coming from S. Florida. Have read that parts of DC, especially N&SE can be kind of concerning.

Please advise what your thoughts are on this location.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 08:16 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,549,548 times
That's a pretty sketch hood. I wouldn't recommend it.

Generally, you want to be west of 14th street NW (unless you're looking on Capitol Hill, Navy Yard, or Waterfront).

Old 09-01-2015, 08:38 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,592,138 times
That's close to a really fun, interesting part of NE DC - the H St corridor, which is one of the best nightlife areas in the city. But the bars and restaurants mostly stop at 15th st, and east of there it gets much rougher. 17th and H I wouldn't recommend for a newcomer. There are some really good parts of NE and SE but this isn't one of them. Stick to west of 15th and south of Florida.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:19 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,972,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp1cass0 View Post
Looking at an apartment in NE DC, at H st NE and 17th st NE (W of the river). Do not know the area very well and coming from S. Florida. Have read that parts of DC, especially N&SE can be kind of concerning.

Please advise what your thoughts are on this location.

Thanks in advance.
I would say without a question if you do not currently live in DC to AVOID that area.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
That's close to a really fun, interesting part of NE DC - the H St corridor, which is one of the best nightlife areas in the city. But the bars and restaurants mostly stop at 15th st, and east of there it gets much rougher. 17th and H I wouldn't recommend for a newcomer. There are some really good parts of NE and SE but this isn't one of them. Stick to west of 15th and south of Florida.
North of Florida is fine, and I would not make that an absolute boundary, I mean I would recommend Brookland to them, which is a FAR safer area and north of florida. But west of 15th NE is a good guiding principle.

Likewise I would not recommend Trinidad.

It just depends on where in NE. Some areas are not recommended, others are fine.

Brookland, Ft. Totten, etc would be okay.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
North of Florida is fine, and I would not make that an absolute boundary, I mean I would recommend Brookland to them, which is a FAR safer area and north of florida. But west of 15th NE is a good guiding principle.

Likewise I would not recommend Trinidad.

It just depends on where in NE. Some areas are not recommended, others are fine.

Brookland, Ft. Totten, etc would be okay.
Yeah Brookland is nice. I recommend it on this forum all the time.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:27 AM

10 posts, read 9,005 times
I must apologize in advance as I reread my post - I currently reside in Alexandria, but originally from S Florida. On 3 month lease, expiring end of September.

Drove by the neighborhood last night and saw all of what you said - pretty happening night life, and was actually getting excited until I looked at my GPS...1.5 miles to go. Boy, did I get the air let out of my sail! The only saving grace I saw was at midnight, there was not a lot of commotion. The bars on the windows did not help my feeling this would not be the best place for me.

Reason for move - can make some monies off the housing stipend my company gives me, if I play my cards right. Worst case, I can get closer to work. One of the biggest problems I am running in to is my dogs - both weigh over 75#'s, though neither on the restricted breed list. Trying to stay in a $14-1500/mth range for rent, as it is just the myself and the 2 dogs (but also paying a a $1300/mth mortgage in Florida, until family gets moved up here).

Keep hearing Brookland is nice but not sure where to look for apartments/rentals. Craigslist is an absolute scam and have seen nothing from apartments.com, rent.com, for rent.com, apartmentguides.com, and sublet.com. Thinking of heading towards Silver Spring, Laurel, Greenbelt, College Park, Adelphi, and Cheverly. Zip code for work is 20010 and wanting to be less than 15 miles away (preferably less than 10).

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I have been at this for 2+ weeks and have a list of less than 10 apartment complexes I favor.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp1cass0 View Post
I must apologize in advance as I reread my post - I currently reside in Alexandria, but originally from S Florida. On 3 month lease, expiring end of September.

Drove by the neighborhood last night and saw all of what you said - pretty happening night life, and was actually getting excited until I looked at my GPS...1.5 miles to go. Boy, did I get the air let out of my sail! The only saving grace I saw was at midnight, there was not a lot of commotion. The bars on the windows did not help my feeling this would not be the best place for me.

Reason for move - can make some monies off the housing stipend my company gives me, if I play my cards right. Worst case, I can get closer to work. One of the biggest problems I am running in to is my dogs - both weigh over 75#'s, though neither on the restricted breed list. Trying to stay in a $14-1500/mth range for rent, as it is just the myself and the 2 dogs (but also paying a a $1300/mth mortgage in Florida, until family gets moved up here).

Keep hearing Brookland is nice but not sure where to look for apartments/rentals. Craigslist is an absolute scam and have seen nothing from apartments.com, rent.com, for rent.com, apartmentguides.com, and sublet.com. Thinking of heading towards Silver Spring, Laurel, Greenbelt, College Park, Adelphi, and Cheverly. Zip code for work is 20010 and wanting to be less than 15 miles away (preferably less than 10).

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I have been at this for 2+ weeks and have a list of less than 10 apartment complexes I favor.
You may want to look at the Takoma neighborhood of DC, and Takoma Park, MD as well. You are also more likely to find a dog friendly rental in this area. The downtown area of Silver Spring is also recommended. Greenbelt, Wheaton, and College Park if you are on your own and looking to save money. These areas are not "bad" they just don't always have the best schools and are sometimes a little further away.
Again, there is also Ft. Totten inside DC, which lacks a plethoria of amenities within walking distance, is largely residential, but is also okay to live in. It just happens to be wedged between more interesting metro stops, so it gets overlooked (Takoma, Brookland, and Petworth).

Also craigslist is not always scammy, I found apartments and houses through it when I was renting. There is a method to the craigslist. If it sounds too good to be true it often is. But it is good for finding basement apartments, people renting out condos, etc. it just takes a bit more patience to cut through the scams, and not to hand over any money online.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:38 AM

You're definitely doing something wrong if you're finding nothing but scams on Craigslist. I think it's the best way to find a place to live in DC and pretty much everyone I know has used it to good results. Yes there are scams but it's pretty easy to filter out the scams once you get a sense of what is too good to be true. I think you really make your life a lot more difficult by ruling out Craigslist.

Also, bars on windows is pretty standard in most of DC. Even in a lot of the really safe parts (by DC standards) you'll see bars on a lot of lower windows. If that makes you uncomfortable, you're really limiting your options.

I think the reason you might be running into a lot of scams and bad areas is because your $1,400-$1,500 budget is simply too low for a 1 bedroom in a good area in DC, especially one that accepts dogs. If you're willing to live in a studio instead of a 1 br, you will have much better choices.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
You're definitely doing something wrong if you're finding nothing but scams on Craigslist. I think it's the best way to find a place to live in DC and pretty much everyone I know has used it to good results. Yes there are scams but it's pretty easy to filter out the scams once you get a sense of what is too good to be true. I think you really make your life a lot more difficult by ruling out Craigslist.

Also, bars on windows is pretty standard in most of DC. Even in a lot of the really safe parts (by DC standards) you'll see bars on a lot of lower windows. If that makes you uncomfortable, you're really limiting your options.

I think the reason you might be running into a lot of scams and bad areas is because your $1,400-$1,500 budget is simply too low for a 1 bedroom in a good area in DC, especially one that accepts dogs. If you're willing to live in a studio instead of a 1 br, you will have much better choices.
They may be able to find something in an older building or a basement apartment, but definitely not a class A apartment. Those older buildings and basements, one will not find necessarily on apartments.com, it's craigslist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC