Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 01:00 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times

Advertisements

I think DC is a wonkish town. Policy wonks are usually, but not always, intelligent people. Contrary to the belief of many here, the human intellect can be applied to a range of endeavors beyond maintaining the solvency of social security. One thing I've never liked about Beltway insiders is this notion that the "big thinking" goes on here and that DC is the best place to make large-scale change happen. I don't think there's a regional monopoly, or oligopoly, on good ideas and clear and creative thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 02:07 PM

248 posts, read 701,026 times
What about Silicon Valley? I thought that area drew some very #@$%@#$ smart people. I know a handful of insanely smart classmates who moved there.

For example, Facebook is there. Adobe is there. Ebay is there. Google is there.

Don't tell me those companies did not have influence on the world.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:00 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,565,715 times
the think tanks have some very smart people and do some good research, but they MOSTLY talk to the govt, to select media, and to each other. They do not have the sheer weight of impact on the life of the community that a harvard, stanford, or even a uchicago does. nor do they have the breadth of fields - Brookings is important on policy, international relations, economics. But no english lit, no history of science, etc, etc, And most of the other think tanks are either narrower than brookings, less intellectually powerful, or both.

Nah, while a great university in theory is not essential to an intellectual hub (nyc in the middle of the last century HAD Columbia, but many or most of the New York intellectuals were not affiliated with it) I think DC wont be an intellectual hub till it does have a great university - either Georgetown or GW must step up the plate beyond what they have already, or somehow Hopkins must become and be seen as part of the life of DC.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:08 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,754,213 times
different sorta people live in different places for a reason.

I think you should really define what "Smart" is first, because there are a lot of different sort of "smart".

Someone who could do coding blindfolded could fail horribly when it comes to PR, and vice versa.

Last edited by Plokivos; 03-04-2011 at 04:23 PM..

Old 03-04-2011, 05:39 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,709,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
different sorta people live in different places for a reason.

I think you should really define what "Smart" is first, because there are a lot of different sort of "smart".

Someone who could do coding blindfolded could fail horribly when it comes to PR, and vice versa.
Wow. Digging up an old school thread from the vaults. Fwiw, I never used the word "smart". I used the word "intellectual", which is quite different, and then defined it as a source of new ideas and philosophies.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:11 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,866,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Not sure..but this is an interesting thread, so I'm bumping it back up.

I have noticed that most DC forumers seem quite intelligent, informative, interesting, etc.

Viewing quite a few other forums, you can see people get locked into all kinds of somewhat ridiculousness arguments. Not so much here, not to the same degree anyways.

I prefer things slightly to the left, but not always. I think SF/PDX/SEA have a real nice intellectualism going on. But, maybe too much in one direction, a very left direction. I like it, but balance is key as well. Fiscal conservatism and some other things need to be considered, etc.

Washington DC seems to have to take everything into consideration. I'd think anyways. More realists and idealists and the complete mix.
i think the dc area has become an intellectual capitol due to the fact that local politics (in dc) don't transfer over to or interfere with the overall metro area. think of how local politics take over cities like sf/pdx/sea/hou/dall/atl/nyc/la that doesn't really happen here in the dc area.
even though dc is a heavily liberal leaning city, conservatives have a strong voice in area politics (northern virginia for example and maryland voted strongly for a republican governor) so i think there's balance.
that balance and opportunity leads people to dc. you don't have to worry about feeling like an oddity or an outsider if your views don't mesh with the prevailing majority unlike in other cities (try being a republican in baltimore or a democrat in salt lake city). as you said washington has to take everything into consideration unlike other cities. i love it!

Old 03-07-2011, 07:15 AM
(-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuric View Post
What about Silicon Valley? I thought that area drew some very #@$%@#$ smart people. I know a handful of insanely smart classmates who moved there.

For example, Facebook is there. Adobe is there. Ebay is there. Google is there.

Don't tell me those companies did not have influence on the world.
but i think that's a very myopic view of intelligence. granted computers and engineering requires some degree of intelligence but if your town is only known for producing or being a bastion for that type of industry than i think you can safely argue that it can't be known as an overall intellectual capitol. dc has politics (lobbyist,etc), dc has non profits, dc has IT, dc has government (contractors), dc has law; i mean the list goes on.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:16 AM
(-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
the think tanks have some very smart people and do some good research, but they MOSTLY talk to the govt, to select media, and to each other. They do not have the sheer weight of impact on the life of the community that a harvard, stanford, or even a uchicago does. nor do they have the breadth of fields - Brookings is important on policy, international relations, economics. But no english lit, no history of science, etc, etc, And most of the other think tanks are either narrower than brookings, less intellectually powerful, or both.

Nah, while a great university in theory is not essential to an intellectual hub (nyc in the middle of the last century HAD Columbia, but many or most of the New York intellectuals were not affiliated with it) I think DC wont be an intellectual hub till it does have a great university - either Georgetown or GW must step up the plate beyond what they have already, or somehow Hopkins must become and be seen as part of the life of DC.
lol @ thinking georgetown is not an elite school smh

Old 03-07-2011, 06:17 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,754,213 times
DC's always been a two faced city, IMO. Georgetown isn't an elite school. It's ranked 21st in just US. That's not counting the art schools and any other top ranked schools.

Georgetown University | Best College | US News

Emory is ahead of Georgetown.

National University Rankings | Top National Universities | US News Best Colleges

Old 03-08-2011, 03:16 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,565,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
lol @ thinking georgetown is not an elite school smh

I didnt say its not an elite school. I said that for DC to be an intellectual hub comparable to some other historical intellectual hubs, Gtown has to step up the plate in terms of driving the intellectual life of the city MORE than it has so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC