Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2015, 10:04 AM

161 posts, read 214,531 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm just looking for names of suburbs that you feel I should look into. I've read other posts but since I'm not bound by a particular work location wondering you thoughts.

Home to buy around 350k max 400k
3br 2bath at least 1500 sq feet - move in ready
Good schools
Family friendly
A neighborhood with some energy a plus - ie city festivals or great parks where people gather or a walkable area

Access to public trans that will take you towards a lot of jobs since my husband will be looking for a job when we're there and wouldn't want more than a 45 min commute.

Does this place in my price range exist?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 10:27 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf123 View Post
Hi,

I'm just looking for names of suburbs that you feel I should look into. I've read other posts but since I'm not bound by a particular work location wondering you thoughts.

Home to buy around 350k max 400k
3br 2bath at least 1500 sq feet - move in ready
Good schools
Family friendly
A neighborhood with some energy a plus - ie city festivals or great parks where people gather or a walkable area

Access to public trans that will take you towards a lot of jobs since my husband will be looking for a job when we're there and wouldn't want more than a 45 min commute.

Does this place in my price range exist?

Thanks!
Here is the thing.
Good Schools
Access to Public Transit
Walkable
Amenities (parks, festivals, etc)
Safe
Within 45 minutes
Under $400k

You only get to choose a few of those. You may find a place with good schools and is safe, but it likely will not be walkable, and your commuting time will be over 45 minutes.

I will be honest, you are completely priced out of west of the river in DC. You are also priced out of much of western montgomery county and northern virginia.

Downtown Silver Spring and Takoma Park is also out for the most part.

For what you want, you need a price range of around $500k-$600k, if not higher. If you push your budget up that high you may have some better options, but even there, they won't be perfect.

You are not going to get your ideal though with the price range, you are obviously coming from a lower cost of living place, so you will get sticker shock from this area.

You need to do a little research into the area. The areas which have this magic combination of what you are looking for usually command around $800k+ in DC area for the perfect combination of things. There are places like Greenbelt or Wheaton which you may have to sacrafice a few of these things, but you get closer to your ideal.

Likewise you may have houses in Fairfax which will be great for schools, but will have terrible public transit access and not be in walkable areas.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:43 AM

161 posts, read 214,531 times
Good info - thanks! What if walkability and/or amenities were given up - but keeping the 45 min commute. Any luck then?

I'm in the process or doing a lot of reading and do realize it's pricy... I guess you get what you pay for in terms of living in a desirable city.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:54 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times
45 commute driving or transit? Personally, if you expand the search a bit more, Franconia-Springfield would likely fit, as would Gaithersburg, Germantown, Glenmont, or Wheaton. These are probably your best options considering your budget.

Further north of the beltway in Montgomery County and some community in Fairfax Virginia. The inside the beltway communities in Montgomery County (downtown Silver Spring, Chevy Chase, Takoma Park, Bethesda) are likely out of your budget. As are Arlington, and Alexandria.

The livable parts of the city and closer in nice streetcar suburbs are out.

Again, I really wouldn't rule out Greenbelt either, it is a nice a community, even with it being in PG. It has a great deal of what you are looking for.

A few years ago I would have said Takoma Park, MD or downtown Silver Spring, MD would have been perfect, but these communities are now past your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC