Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2016, 07:23 PM

23 posts, read 58,128 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience with hiring a Federal Resume Writer ? Did you actually get an interview or was it a waste of money ?

I am only considering this option because I am a civilian without veterans preference or prior federal experience.

If you had a positive experience, who would you recommend ?

If you had a negative experience, who should I avoid ?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 10:22 AM

88 posts, read 116,196 times
Hi - I didn't hire someone, I wrote my own. But then again, I am a veteran. I've been very fortunate with how quickly I get a job offer after I start looking for promotion. I've gone from a GS9 to starting a 13 in two weeks in just over six years in the GS system. I'm also in the top 10 percent of my career field because I'm currently working on a second masters.

I'd be happy to help shape your resume if you want. I do know that sometimes it's hard for complete civilians to get in the top tier with the vets, but I'll help you if I can.

Lynn

Old 05-21-2016, 06:01 AM

22 posts, read 65,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapetiteruse View Post
Hi - I didn't hire someone, I wrote my own. But then again, I am a veteran. I've been very fortunate with how quickly I get a job offer after I start looking for promotion. I've gone from a GS9 to starting a 13 in two weeks in just over six years in the GS system. I'm also in the top 10 percent of my career field because I'm currently working on a second masters.

I'd be happy to help shape your resume if you want. I do know that sometimes it's hard for complete civilians to get in the top tier with the vets, but I'll help you if I can.

Lynn
Hello Lynn. Just so you know, and someday your children and grandchildren will also know, having a second masters does not put you in the top 10 percent of your career field. Does your GS-ranking help? Yes. Does your salary help? Yes. Does your title (team lead, supervisor, manager) help? Yes. But, your second masters? Nope. Your second masters may help you earn the position, but doesn't make you top 10 percent. Sorry. Also, it's worth pointing out that you had to apply for new jobs to get your promotions in six years. There are many people who do it in the same office (career ladder, etc.). Why were your bosses letting you go? Why didn't they counter-offer? Hmm. Top 10 percent? The key thing here is that you are a veteran. That's much more valuable than that second masters (the first one, too).

Old 05-21-2016, 09:08 AM

137 posts, read 252,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordntaylor View Post
Does anyone have any experience with hiring a Federal Resume Writer ? Did you actually get an interview or was it a waste of money ?

I am only considering this option because I am a civilian without veterans preference or prior federal experience.

If you had a positive experience, who would you recommend ?

If you had a negative experience, who should I avoid ?

Thanks.
No veterans preference? Good luck...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC