Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2016, 12:01 PM

155 posts, read 164,160 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are visiting DC for 3 nights this coming weekend and would love some suggestions from locals for things to do. We have 2 full days and then about half a day before we leave back to NYC so we want to make sure we make the most of it without being rushed!

Is there any popular tourist attractions that you would say to avoid? I know it sounds a bit odd but I usually tell people who visit NYC to spend 10 minutes and then never go back.

Also, what are some of your favorites restaurants to check out? We aren't huge on fancy super expensive restaurants, more hearty and a good vibe.

Any suggestions would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 02:23 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,576,476 times
Spend 10 minutes in the biggest city in the country with a million great places to shop or eat and then never come back? That sounds more than a bit odd.

Old 02-10-2016, 04:00 PM

155 posts, read 164,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Spend 10 minutes in the biggest city in the country with a million great places to shop or eat and then never come back? That sounds more than a bit odd.
Sorry! I meant 10 minutes in Times Square haha not the entire city. I need to edit my post!

Old 02-11-2016, 06:27 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,530,453 times
Definitely avoid the Spy Museum -- way too crowded and expensive. I'm not a big fan of the Newseum either (also very expensive)...The must sees are Smithsonian Natural History, Smithsonian Air and Space, Smithsonian American History, and the Holocaust Museum.

Most popular moderately priced restaurants:
1) Old Ebbit Grill - a little pricey but a DC Institution
2) Founding Farmers
3) Clyde's
4) Matchbox
5) Ted's Bulletin

AVOID Ben's Chili Bowl -- biggest tourist trap there ever was

I know what you mean about Times Square. I avoid Times Square at all costs when I visit. I try to stay south of 34th Street at all times. That's where the real New York is.

Old 02-11-2016, 04:52 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,375,392 times
I LOVED Baked & Wired in Georgetown for coffee, cupcakes, and also granola when I was last in DC. I liked We The Pizza also.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:36 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times
Bring a warm coat!

Seriously--gonna be super-freezing this weekend. Which means you may have the museums all to yourselves. Enjoy.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:31 AM

977 posts, read 567,924 times
Are you going to have a car available? I'm not sure of public transit options, but if you are thinking of the Air and Space Museum, you would also enjoy the Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles Airport. That is where most of the airplanes and spacecraft in the Smithsonian's collection are displayed. I believe there is a bus that goes from the airport, and maybe some other nearby locations to the Udvar-Hazy Center, but public transit may be limited/inconvenient. If you have a car, though, that's one place I'd recommend seeing.

What you want to see definitely depends on your interests. For instance, the National Zoo is very nice if you're interested. They do have a new panda cub there. The Bureau of Engraving and Printing (tours showing how paper money is made are available), The National Archives (original copies of the Declaration of Independence and Constitution on display) and the National Cathedral are all interesting stops, depending on what your interests are.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:33 AM

977 posts, read 567,924 times
Another tip for you: if you are interested in seeing the monuments/memorials on the National Mall (WWII memorial, Lincoln, Jefferson, Vietnam wall, etc.), keep in mind that those are open for visiting 24 hours. You can schedule visits to them later in the evening after other attractions have closed rather than going to these locations through the day and using up time that could be spent at other attractions that close at 5PM or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC