Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 02:46 AM

741 posts, read 1,113,410 times

Advertisements

I recently rode the DC Streetcar for the first time, and I am not sure that I like the quality of the buildout on H Street NE. The streetcar itself felt like it was grinding on the rails and not smooth-gliding like the trams I rode when I lived in Europe. My streetcar ride was incredibly slow, and the quality of the rails just felt subpar. The spacing of the streetcar was off too (we were told to expect 15-minute intervals). There was a 28-minute gap between the streetcar that I was on and the one behind it on the westbound side, which is unacceptable.

While I was on the streetcar, some X2's and X9's quickly passed it going through the corridor, both eastbound and westbound.

What are your thoughts/experiences on the DC Streetcar, especially now that it's open?

Last edited by revitalizer; 03-11-2016 at 03:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 08:51 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,016 times
I went last Sunday to ride it and it was closed. Haven't gone back.

Having transportation that closes on Sunday's in a major city seems kind of dumb. Its 2016. Sunday isn't "church day" anymore lol. But I know its still new so I will give the benefit of the doubt for now.

Old 03-12-2016, 10:49 AM

137 posts, read 252,896 times
Basically, it's what you would have expected from a completely bungled, wasteful project with poor oversight. Why anyone thought it's horrific design flaws would be magically resolved once it opened is beyond me.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:55 AM

857 posts, read 1,201,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swested View Post
Basically, it's what you would have expected from a completely bungled, wasteful project with poor oversight. Why anyone thought it's horrific design flaws would be magically resolved once it opened is beyond me.
this!

Old 03-14-2016, 01:54 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,564,506 times
It's bullsh*t..

I rode it when I was in town last week, they are too slow and the route is redundant to the X2 bus. If you want to see how a streetcar system is supposed to work go to Philly.

Old 03-14-2016, 03:00 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
I suspect that it will have growing pains. over time the system will get sorted out ands speed should increase. I like the concept. I hope the management that have now is up to the task.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:29 AM

2,818 posts, read 2,285,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revitalizer View Post
I recently rode the DC Streetcar for the first time, and I am not sure that I like the quality of the buildout on H Street NE. The streetcar itself felt like it was grinding on the rails and not smooth-gliding like the trams I rode when I lived in Europe. My streetcar ride was incredibly slow, and the quality of the rails just felt subpar. The spacing of the streetcar was off too (we were told to expect 15-minute intervals). There was a 28-minute gap between the streetcar that I was on and the one behind it on the westbound side, which is unacceptable.

While I was on the streetcar, some X2's and X9's quickly passed it going through the corridor, both eastbound and westbound.

What are your thoughts/experiences on the DC Streetcar, especially now that it's open?

Yup, that was my basic experience. This felt like a novelty more than a real transit option. I specifically rode it from union station down H Street to test it out (which is out of the way from how I would normally travel). Coming back from H Street I just jumped on an X2 bus to go back home. Don't expect to ever take the Streetcar again. Not a bad experience, just not practical for me. Perhaps, if I lived along the H Street cooridor I could see taking it to Union Station, but would probably use it interchangably with the existing X2 buses.

The ride confirmed my prior belief that DC should scrap the mixed-traffic streetcar idea and focus on expanding the excellent DC Circulator system. I love the circulator, it is frequent, fast, and has an easy to use to use network. DC could have an H Street to Georgetown circulator up and runing in couple months.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:00 AM

857 posts, read 1,201,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post

The ride confirmed my prior belief that DC should scrap the mixed-traffic streetcar idea and focus on expanding the excellent DC Circulator system. I love the circulator, it is frequent, fast, and has an easy to use to use network. DC could have an H Street to Georgetown circulator up and runing in couple months.
what he/she said!

Old 03-15-2016, 10:58 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,890 times
For the millionth time, it's unfair to judge the streetcar when it hasn't been fully built out from Minnesota Avenue to Georgetown.

When it's extended through Foggy Bottom, I could see myself taking the Orange Line to the streetcar to go out on H Street. I'd probably be more likely to bike, but you will never see me on the X2.

Old 03-15-2016, 03:00 PM

2,818 posts, read 2,285,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
For the millionth time, it's unfair to judge the streetcar when it hasn't been fully built out from Minnesota Avenue to Georgetown.

When it's extended through Foggy Bottom, I could see myself taking the Orange Line to the streetcar to go out on H Street. I'd probably be more likely to bike, but you will never see me on the X2.

It took DC 10 years to build this 2.1 mile section. You are going to be waiting a long, long time for the full line. Even then you are still going to have the mixed-traffic streetcar getting clogged issue. Unless DC is going to give it its own lane than this simply doesn't make sense as a transit option.

In the mean time, DC already has a Georgetown to Union Station line, why not just add a 2nd spur that runs down H Street to Minnisota Ave? That could be up and running in a year or so. DC could built out the entire streetcar network as a circulator bus system in 5 years. Then once that is up and running worry about gradually converting it over to trams with deadicated lanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC