Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 07:34 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,530,453 times

Advertisements

New York Avenue NE has got to be one of the ghettoest streets in DC. I loved driving up and down it when I worked near there because the characters were so entertaining. Thats like the border of NoMa but I would never want to live within a mile of NY Ave.

Of course, I am just a misinformed ignorant Arlingtonian but I digress...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 08:25 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
New York Avenue NE has got to be one of the ghettoest streets in DC. I loved driving up and down it when I worked near there because the characters were so entertaining. Thats like the border of NoMa but I would never want to live within a mile of NY Ave.

Of course, I am just a misinformed ignorant Arlingtonian but I digress...
Are you sure? Metro Center and CityCenter downtown are both within a mile of NY Ave. CityCenter has some of the most expensive condos and apartments in the city. A mile goes a long way in DC.

But you did say you were misinformed so...

Old 04-15-2016, 08:41 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,960,739 times
The corner of North Capital and NY Ave I would avoid, but NoMA on a whole is not like that one corner. It is a remnant of what that neighborhood used to be. Go a few blocks south or east, and you have NPR headquarters, DC and Federal Offices, hotels, and luxury apartments. So pretty misinformed on a whole. I still don't like the neighborhood, it is mostly offices, luxury apartments, and a grocery store. Kind of boring, not much in the way of restaurants, and it's only advantage is proximity to H St NE. NoMA is bland by any standard.

Again, Brookland is the better option here in general.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
The corner of North Capital and NY Ave I would avoid, but NoMA on a whole is not like that one corner. It is a remnant of what that neighborhood used to be. Go a few blocks south or east, and you have NPR headquarters, DC and Federal Offices, hotels, and luxury apartments. So pretty misinformed on a whole. I still don't like the neighborhood, it is mostly offices, luxury apartments, and a grocery store. Kind of boring, not much in the way of restaurants, and it's only advantage is proximity to H St NE. NoMA is bland by any standard.

This is true, but it won't be true for much longer. NoMa currently has 90,500 sf of retail under construction and 545,649 sf planned. In addition there is 366,000 sf of office space under construction and 9,179,494 planned. 7-screen landmark theatre is coming to NoMa in 2018. The neighborhood will change dramatically in the next few years. Proximity to Union Station (which also has big expansion plans) will make NoMa a prime location. So the restaurants and entertainment will come in time.

Brookland will probably be the next "hip" area though and it will benefit from its proximity to NoMa in the future.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:42 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,629,739 times
Thanks for the feedback. It seems Brookland is the consensus choice. Also, it's about 1 mile south of Michigan Park which would make for a nice commute. Since its walkable would it be a safe walk or is the area in between kind of sketchy? Petworth is also calling my name for some reason.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:35 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,960,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
Thanks for the feedback. It seems Brookland is the consensus choice. Also, it's about 1 mile south of Michigan Park which would make for a nice commute. Since its walkable would it be a safe walk or is the area in between kind of sketchy? Petworth is also calling my name for some reason.
It would be a safe walk to work everyday if you wish to do so. Brookland and Michigan Park are pretty quiet neighborhoods. If you look at the violent crime map in Ward 5, you will notice most of it's clustered in the southern portion of the ward (Trinidad, Carver-Langston, etc), pretty far away from Brookland/Michigan Park area. I am saying this by city standards its safe. It is safer than NoMA, H St NE, or Petworth.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Are you sure? Metro Center and CityCenter downtown are both within a mile of NY Ave. CityCenter has some of the most expensive condos and apartments in the city. A mile goes a long way in DC.

But you did say you were misinformed so...
I said NY Ave NORTHEAST. The stretch from 395 to Florida Ave has to have the highest concentration of druggies, homeless people, and just sketch people in general west of the river.

Seriously if I'm wrong, tell me what corridor west of the river has a higher concentration of homeless and druggies.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post

Did you even read my post? I said that NY ave NORTHEAST isnt representative of NoMa necessairly. 1 mile might be a stretch but I just wouldnt want to be near the garbage on Ny Ave. im not even saying its a dangerous area -- I just wouldnt want to call the garbage on NY Ave NORTHEAST my neighbors.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I said NY Ave NORTHEAST. The stretch from 395 to Florida Ave has to have the highest concentration of druggies, homeless people, and just sketch people in general west of the river.

Seriously if I'm wrong, tell me what corridor west of the river has a higher concentration of homeless and druggies.
I didn't say NY avenue wasn't sketchy. I was focusing on how you said you wouldn't live within a mile of it. One mile can make a big difference in DC. In this case.. there are nice areas within a mile of NY avenue NE.

Old 04-16-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
I didn't say NY avenue wasn't sketchy. I was focusing on how you said you wouldn't live within a mile of it. One mile can make a big difference in DC. In this case.. there are nice areas within a mile of NY avenue NE.
Youre right. Mile was a stretch. .25-.5 mile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC