Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2007, 07:13 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times

Advertisements

Looks like we will be heading overseas for a few years. We have 3 children and they will be elem/middle school when we go.

We are thinking a Spanish speaking country is where we would like to live as DH and I know limited Spanish and we both really NEED to learn more for our jobs even in the USA.

So.....where would you choose with a family? We aren't as "into" nightlife anymore, but it doesn't mean it would be a negative, we just wouldn't utilize it much.

Thanks,

Dawn
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 07:18 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
ANY Spanish speaking country? I would choose Spain, so I could enjoy Europe.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:29 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
For a family, I would go for Spain as well as the standard of living is the highest, the infrastructure the best, the government the most stable, the education the best and the crime the lowest (I believe). After Spain, I think Chile would offer the most stability. It's a country that's been on the gradual upswing over the years whereas Argentina, Latin America's traditional "show off" country, has been a bit unstable in the past 10 years or so.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:50 PM

469 posts, read 2,735,933 times
The easiest to get work permits, etc. in would probably be Puerto Rico, if you're an American citizen. I've heard good things about Belize, too.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:52 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
Puerto Rico is part of the US. Any US citizen can move and work there without special permits, just as any Puerto Rican can live and work in the mainland.

I wouldn't discount Mexico. There are lots of places you might consider there, like the city of Guanajuato. It's a very scenic hillside town with an interesting colonial history.

Personally, I'd go to El Salvador, but only because I am familiar with it.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:24 AM

59 posts, read 377,676 times
work, residency permits are key. you can't just pick up and arrive on tourist visas, especially with family. also tax situation and liability.
i live and have lived in lots of spanish speaking countries....

puerto rico - easy for visa, but expensive
mexico - nice, but look to puebla, guadalajara, cuenavaca, etc. mexico city is nice in polanco for example..don't know what your school issue is though.
panama - hot & humid, lots of construction..not my fave, but easier from a tax, visa standpoint. decent medical, most speak english.
costa rica - similar to panama
argentina - cheaper than chile right now. very nice. argentina's economy has been up and down since the dawn of man and will countinue that way.
chile - my home normally. love it. visa VERY difficult. expensive. the price you pay for success.
peru - nice option in lima, visa issue again.
ecuador - nice, quito is beautiful. visa issue again, but they deal in US dollars.
colombia - bogata is very nice. safer than it used to be don't kid yourself. it is nice. visa issue?
venezuela - beautiful country, but too much going on politics (currently live here). shame.
spain - EU work visa are impossible unless your company can provide or pay you in the states (work via internet) - or one of you have EU country passport. check here as far as "id cards" = legal status so you know for you kids with school and medical. if you don't have these can't do much.

again...how long and what will be your visa status. this is the key to taxes, ability to actually live there: school, medical, etc.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:34 AM

Thank you.

Sorry, I should have specified....my husband would be going WITH his US company so they would help take care of all work permits, etc...

I grew up overseas (in Africa though) so I am familiar with living abroad.

My husband has never been overseas so this will be a new experience for him.

Some of this all may depend on where they have openings, but we want to get a list of "favourites" down before we look.

This will most likely be a 2 year stint.

Dawn

Old 09-11-2007, 08:19 AM

59 posts, read 377,676 times
Hi Dawn:

If the company can do the visas - the world is your oyster. As far as family life/expat life in spanish-speaking countries. On firsthand experience I would choose:

Santiago, Chile (make sure you get a great expat package - it is expensive)
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Quito, Ecuador
Lima, Peru

Great culture, lots to see and do, good international schools, good expat housing, easy to move around. Safe - all is realtive here. But all are better than Mexico City in that regard. Any of these - I would go in a heartbeat, yesterday. I am a US mom, married to a latino with a 1st grader and golden retreiver. We move every 2-3 years. My hubby is from S. America, but we have lived in Central & South America as well as Europe (Italy)

Spain would be an option, but it is more European - than "latino/hispanic". Spain has lots of history, the european touch of lifestyle, good schools, travel to non-spanish speaking countries, etc. BUT, I would not go if your husband is paid in dollars given the current high value of the Euro. It is MUY, muy caro! Very, very expensive. That can have a huge drain on the relationship. However, if they pay house, school, one car, etc...different expat story. Otherwise you can loose huge percentages of your salary in just a day.

Good luck and private message me if you need to.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:02 PM

Thanks all. Some of this will depend on where the openings are when we are ready, but we would like to get a running "first choices" list going.

Dawn

Old 04-29-2009, 08:12 AM

129 posts, read 555,405 times
Smile depends on income

you never mentioned in your post what country your coming from or your income level. If your middle class income over 45k or wealthy over 100k you will have things easy in spain or chile or argentina. If your working class things may seem a bit expensive in Chile or uruguay or spain. Also some latinos dislike americans due to the us govt @ cia(crimes in sa) and us multinationals terrible treatment of poor people especially in central south america. So to be safe for an american I would say Mexico very stable or Spain very stable also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World