Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 08:24 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,551,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Looks like we will be heading overseas for a few years. We have 3 children and they will be elem/middle school when we go.

We are thinking a Spanish speaking country is where we would like to live as DH and I know limited Spanish and we both really NEED to learn more for our jobs even in the USA.

So.....where would you choose with a family? We aren't as "into" nightlife anymore, but it doesn't mean it would be a negative, we just wouldn't utilize it much.

Thanks,

Dawn
Peru is absolutely facinating -- especially since you have kids. Lots of amazing history (eg, Inca, conquistadores) and topography (Andes mountains, beach, and Amazon jungle). That's where I'd go in a heartbeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 04:33 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,427,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by califantastic View Post
Those of you that say Spain is the obvious choice since it is in Europe - can you please explain why being in Europe makes it the obvious choice?
Higher standards of living, more safety, better job market, easy access to all the European countries if that's your thing...

Perhaps not "obvious" to every one, but those are points to consider...

Old 11-23-2009, 09:21 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,608,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
easy access to all the European countries if that's your thing...
That's why I would pick Spain.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:34 AM

549 posts, read 1,665,260 times
Europe:
Spain

North America:
California
Miami
Houston
Puerto Rico
Costa Rica
Mexico
Dominican Republic
Panama

South America:
Argentina
Chile

Last edited by Eduardo983; 11-23-2009 at 11:46 AM..

Old 11-25-2009, 01:52 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,181,569 times
I would discount a few popular choices on this thread.

AVOID CHILE - easily the safest country in spanish-speaking Latin AMerica...however, the Spanish is quite unique and pretty low on the list for knowing Chilean Spanish. They drop a lot of their syllables near the end, and there are some books on 'Chilean Spanish' to explain the many differences available in Santiago.

AVOID SPAIN - I lived there as well as SOuth America. I can understand the Spanish I hear in the States and in South AMerica...but I couldn't for the life of me understand Spain Spanish. It is really fast and different pronounciation. Additionally, I found that most Spaniards had pretty much zero interest in slowing down for you to understand - exact opposite experience I had in South America. On the SAFETY level, I've never met as many pickpockets in my life as I had encountered in Barcelona Spain. Oh, and places like Barcelona and other cities have a different language altogether, so you have to be careful where you're going to learn your European Spanish as well.

AVOID PERU - Actually this is the BEST region to study Spanish - Andean Spanish. They speak very clear and phonetic, etc. However Peru IS dangerous. Tons of people trying to get something from you all the time.

RECOMMENDATIONS:

BOLIVIA - I found Bolivia to be quite safe, friendly, Andean Spanish where it is also phonetic and well-spoken. People in Bolivia could really care less about you (in a good way). In that people aren't trying to engage you to get money from you (like Peru for example).

MEXICO - Mexicans are friendly people, and the culture is rich. The food is far better in Mexico than any other spanish speaking country as well. PLUS, you are right next to the States, and this is THE spanish you'll probably need to know if you are working for an American company requiring it.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:00 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,865,046 times
Maybe it's just me, but I would stay the hell away from Mexico. 50% of the population lives in poverty and the crime is high, plus you got a drug war going on, low standard of living etc. Yeah, I uess if you have enough $$$, then you can buy yourself a place in Mexico's Beverly Hills, but other than that... umm no!

Old 11-27-2009, 03:50 PM

6 posts, read 34,682 times
Default Spanish immersion in Latin America

Hi! I plan on learning Spanish at home for the next two months and then traveling to a Latin American country to enroll in an immersion program for a month. My question is: in which city should I study? The most important factor for me is safety since I am a female in my 20s and will be traveling alone. Also, I would like to be somewhere that has things to do/see (I will be there for a month, after all). I was considering Chile, Peru, Costa Rica, or Mexico. At first, I was favoring Chile--but is Chilean Spanish really that different that I should definitely avoid it? I've heard that Peru can be dangerous in the "downtown" of Lima, but is safe in Miraflores--is that true? What about Costa Rica? Now I'm thinking that I should go to Mexico to study since I'm in California and that would be the kind of Spanish that would be most useful for me. I was thinking Veracruz, Queretaro, or Oaxaca City. Do those sound good? Any one "better" than the other? Help! Also, if anyone knows of good immersion schools in the area that would be helpful too. Thanks so much!!!

Old 11-28-2009, 02:32 PM

342 posts, read 1,926,596 times
Correct regarding Lima. Miraflores is safe but downtown can be dangerous.

Stay away from Colombia I went there recently and was attacked my first day there in Cartagena. They broke my collar bone and in addition to the severe pain I cannot use my right arm at all.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:50 PM

6 posts, read 34,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by califantastic View Post
Correct regarding Lima. Miraflores is safe but downtown can be dangerous.

Stay away from Colombia I went there recently and was attacked my first day there in Cartagena. They broke my collar bone and in addition to the severe pain I cannot use my right arm at all.
Oh my gosh, so sorry to hear that! No offense to anyone, but, yeah I had heard Columbians speak nice/"pure" spanish, but that it's dangerous, so...no thanks.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:04 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippienne View Post
The easiest to get work permits, etc. in would probably be Puerto Rico, if you're an American citizen. I've heard good things about Belize, too.
The language in Belize is English. Also, I fell in love with the city of Veracruz, wonderful food, gracious people, nice beaches, very few gringos. uh,....soy gringo puro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World