Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2008, 01:33 PM

20 posts, read 97,775 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I read through the previous postings and while there was some great info in , none of it hit the spot exactly for me, so I'm hoping to gain some more insight. I'm going to be taking a job working at Bolling AFB in the spring and am wondering if you have recommendations on where to find the following at a reasonable price (350K or less):

3 bedroom/1.5 bath type of place with a small yard for dogs
Family friendly (one young son, so I'm looking for decent schooling) and other families in their late 20s with kids (anyone know how expensive private schools get if I move into the city proper?)

Relatively close to a metro: I have friends that live in the city and it would be nice to just take the train to visit them instead of driving if I can

I've been looking at Alexandria like most people seem to, but I've also heard some neighborhoods can be shady?

Completely on the flip side, someone told me I should consider Annapolis, but that seems like a far drive, and I'd like to keep my commute to about 30 min+/- if I can.

Ideally, I'd like to find a place I can settle into long term and am trying to find a place that gives me the things I seek now with fair accessability if my job situation changes down the road ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 05:41 PM

24 posts, read 151,646 times
this may not hit it right on the nose, but bowling airforce is an extremely rough neighborhood, i suggest annapolis, but thats just me. check out the neighborhood.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:42 PM

24 posts, read 151,646 times
alexandria is a lot better than bowling airforce base, seeing that bowling airforce base is set in the worst part of anacostia??

Old 02-14-2008, 06:12 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanz View Post
Hello,

I read through the previous postings and while there was some great info in , none of it hit the spot exactly for me, so I'm hoping to gain some more insight. I'm going to be taking a job working at Bolling AFB in the spring and am wondering if you have recommendations on where to find the following at a reasonable price (350K or less):

3 bedroom/1.5 bath type of place with a small yard for dogs
Family friendly (one young son, so I'm looking for decent schooling) and other families in their late 20s with kids (anyone know how expensive private schools get if I move into the city proper?)

Relatively close to a metro: I have friends that live in the city and it would be nice to just take the train to visit them instead of driving if I can

I've been looking at Alexandria like most people seem to, but I've also heard some neighborhoods can be shady?

Completely on the flip side, someone told me I should consider Annapolis, but that seems like a far drive, and I'd like to keep my commute to about 30 min+/- if I can.

Ideally, I'd like to find a place I can settle into long term and am trying to find a place that gives me the things I seek now with fair accessability if my job situation changes down the road ...
For $350k your ideal house may be tough to find.

I can answer for Alexandria. The city of Alexandria is a prime choice for Bolling AFB families. Alexandria really does not have anything that can be truly be classified as "shady", i live in one of the so called shady parts (Landmark) and have no clue about why this neighborhood is called shady. The school system is fine even though some people on this forum unfairly bash it just b/c their kids attend Arlington or Farifax schools. $350k at best will buy you a 3-bed condo not a TH.

In your case i would look at far Southern PG and Charles Co. The schools in PG have mixed reviews but the elemantry schools in Southern Ft. Washington and Accokeek should be decent and keep you within distance from Bolling. Both PG and Charles should have the housing that fits your criteria at $350k and under.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:10 PM

20 posts, read 97,775 times
Thanks for the replies. I guess my best bet will just be to work with a reputable realtor who knows the areas and what I'm looking for.. I think I may have gotten a bit ahead of myself.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:48 AM

1,054 posts, read 5,089,178 times
A lot of military (usually those at AAFB) look out in Calvert County, around Dunkirk, Huntingtown, Owings, Chesapeake Beach/North Beach etc. However, it's a bit rural and dull, no metro, and just on the edge of your commuting times, but you would get more for your money there than around Annapolis.

I think city proper isn't going to work, unless you find a 2 br condo and get a bit of a windfall for private schools. The other areas of DC are probably a bit too pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC