Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 11:39 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times

Advertisements

I recently did a short trip in DC and was impressed with the city, I wasn't there for very long though so I didn't get to see that much.

I want to go back on a vacation with some friends and was wondering where the best spots to go barhopping are. If any of you are familiar with NYC, something analogous to the East Village or Lower East Side for instance.

Any bars in particular you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 11:55 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,521,445 times
The most comparable area to NYC East Village or Lower East Side is probably U street and the parts of 14th street that bleed over from U street. Adams Morgan and Dupont Circle offer some good bar hopping as well. Those are probably the top areas but there are many more. Your age group matters when it comes to "best nightlife" too.

Other areas with nightlife include:
*K street (nightclubs)
*H Street
*Chinatown
*Georgetown

Old 12-12-2016, 02:34 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
The most comparable area to NYC East Village or Lower East Side is probably U street and the parts of 14th street that bleed over from U street. Adams Morgan and Dupont Circle offer some good bar hopping as well. Those are probably the top areas but there are many more. Your age group matters when it comes to "best nightlife" too.

Other areas with nightlife include:
*K street (nightclubs)
*H Street
*Chinatown
*Georgetown
Thanks for the input! I'll be sure to check that out when I return to DC.

I'm 21 years old. I like all different kinds of bars, but I'm not interested in upscale cocktail lounges or bottle service clubs.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:07 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,959,464 times
Bottle service clubs is not really a common thing in DC. Cocktail lounges are.

With that being said I think U St., H St., Shaw, and Adams Morgan would all fit the bill.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:32 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,528,933 times
I know East Village well. My fiancee and I were just there a couple weeks ago and our first Air bnb stay was there a few years ago. IMO, the most comparable neighborhood would be H Street -- it has the grittiness. Dupont, Adams Morgan, and 14th street are more akin to West Village, IMO.

When we want to chill with our fellow gays, we go to 14th street/greenwich village (avant garde) and we want a low key local vibe, you go to East Village//H street (more hip).

Old 12-13-2016, 09:56 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,627,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I recently did a short trip in DC and was impressed with the city, I wasn't there for very long though so I didn't get to see that much.

I want to go back on a vacation with some friends and was wondering where the best spots to go barhopping are. If any of you are familiar with NYC, something analogous to the East Village or Lower East Side for instance.

Any bars in particular you recommend?
I've only been to NYC twice and never for the nightlife. Having been in DC here are my opinions for nightlife:

1) Dupont Circle-This area used to be hot but other neighborhoods have come up throughout the years in regards to nightlife. If you're looking to spend time in a neighborhood a lot of people from outside of DC know this is good option, as is Georgetown.

2) U Street-Lots of good barhopping and different age groups.

3) Adams Morgan-I haven't been here for a while but if you're in your 20's this has always been a fun spot.

4) 14th Street NW-A more upscale (or pretentious?) crowd. There are some good restaurants and bars to hop around.

5) H Street NE-Great if you like dive bars.

6) Barracks Row and Capitol Hill-A whole mix of spots to hang out at. No places are really loud and obnoxious like 14th or H Street.

7) Mt. Vernon/Chinatown/Downtown-Mixed bag of places.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:39 AM

181 posts, read 190,667 times
H street, Adams Morgan, and U street.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:32 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,473 times
Glad someone mentioned 8th Street, SE. All kinds of food and drink in that area. Parking can be an issue though.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:39 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,627,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
Glad someone mentioned 8th Street, SE. All kinds of food and drink in that area. Parking can be an issue though.
I had to mention it because everyone just focuses on H, U, and Adams Morgan for the most part. I think Ivy City will be a destination neighborhood within the next year or so. The breweries and distilleries make it a popular destination spot on weekends for people interested in the tours and craft cocktails. Once more restaurants open up this area will thrive.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:55 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Bottle service clubs is not really a common thing in DC. Cocktail lounges are.

With that being said I think U St., H St., Shaw, and Adams Morgan would all fit the bill.

Bottle service clubs are what D.C. is known for. They have the largest crowds numbering in the thousands. Sure there are bars all over, but they have small crowds.

14th and Park
Bliss DC
Echo Stage
Ultrabar
Soundcheck
Opera
Shadow Room
Eden
Barcode
Living Room
Cities
POV
etc.
etc.
etc.
etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC