Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 05:36 PM

22 posts, read 24,471 times

Advertisements

Hi.

I've been in DC for almost 20 days. This is not my first visit, I visited before as a tourist for a couple days.

Here are some points I have noticed:

1- There are homeless people near Walmart and some parts of the city, I saw the homeless center. I mean this is the nation's capital. Why don't the federal government help people in need to get up and live a decent life?

2- In every country, the capital is considered the top place, as It offers many international restaurants and shopping centers. In DC, there are some but not suitable for a real capital.

3- I have been to target. Although I did not feel safe at the area there.

4- The most prestigious places are: The national mall all the way with Washington Monument and the White House and Georgetown University neighborhood ( where M street is and the embassies row).

5- DC nights are quiet. I believe many people live in Maryland and Virginia and commute to downtown DC.

I think this place deserves to be better, although many taxi drivers I spoke with while doing my communing told me DC got much better during the last 15 years.

What's the secret?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 06:46 PM

9,887 posts, read 14,159,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeyItalian View Post
Hi.

I've been in DC for almost 20 days. This is not my first visit, I visited before as a tourist for a couple days.

Here are some points I have noticed:

1- There are homeless people near Walmart and some parts of the city, I saw the homeless center. I mean this is the nation's capital. Why don't the federal government help people in need to get up and live a decent life?

2- In every country, the capital is considered the top place, as It offers many international restaurants and shopping centers. In DC, there are some but not suitable for a real capital.

3- I have been to target. Although I did not feel safe at the area there.

4- The most prestigious places are: The national mall all the way with Washington Monument and the White House and Georgetown University neighborhood ( where M street is and the embassies row).

5- DC nights are quiet. I believe many people live in Maryland and Virginia and commute to downtown DC.

I think this place deserves to be better, although many taxi drivers I spoke with while doing my communing told me DC got much better during the last 15 years.

What's the secret?
Not sure of you question? Secret to what?

Old 09-05-2016, 07:00 PM

319 posts, read 279,877 times
DC got safer which by their standard translates to has gotten better.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:36 PM

27,652 posts, read 28,750,671 times
Quote:
2- In every country, the capital is considered the top place, as It offers many international restaurants and shopping centers.
That's not true for every country.

The capitals of Canada, Brazil and Australia, for example, are not the top cities in those countries. In fact, they are way less prominent than Washington DC.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:19 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,065,468 times
here's the real problem - you came with preconceived notions of an arrogant continental. You hold a standard to Washington, DC that Rome and definitely Naples cannot hold.

20 days and you are quite an expert.

Yes, there are homeless here. The Federal government DOES help them - through distribution of funds that allows local agencies to administer to their needs. You can't force someone off the street, though.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:11 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,114,264 times
DC quiet at night? Check out 18th and Columbia Rd. any night of the week. Plus Wisconsin and M, U St. corridor, etc.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:43 AM

199 posts, read 334,473 times
Quote:
There's a few reasons for this (in my humble opinion ):

1) The United States is both a very young country, relatively speaking, and geographically one of the largest countries in the world. America expanded over that large area for a relatively short 200 or so years, which prevented one single city from becoming our "primate city" (although I would argue NYC comes the closest to that title). Instead, several cities now specialize in certain things - for example DC is the political capital, NYC is the financial capital, Los Angeles is our cultural capital (although NYC is no slouch in that department either), San Francisco/Silicon Valley is the technological capital etc.)

2) D.C. was built "from scratch" in 1790 specifically to be the nation's capital. This put it behind older, more established cities like NYC, Boston, and Philadelphia and I also suspect that since the federal government was the major, relatively stable industry for over 200 years it stifled the growth of other secondary industries that might have sprung up, which is why younger cities like Los Angeles and Chicago have grown larger in a shorter amount of time.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:09 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,567,308 times
The problem with DC is that although it's the nation's capital, it's not the cultural or financial capital. In a lot of ways, New York City is more of a capital than DC is. NYC is America's prominent city, DC is not.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,479 times
Nothing like transplants arrogantly breaking down your hometown after 20 days.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:28 AM

22 posts, read 24,471 times
Hi. Some comments are pointing out about my politeness. I am not questioning your patriotism. I am trying to initiate a debate about things I've seen. I've been here for three weeks. However, before that I was a tourist here, and not surprisingly, a week is more that enough to deliver a point of view about DC as it occupies very small area geographically. I am not responsible for your misinterpretation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC