Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 02:40 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,527,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
A lot of people who are in Meetup groups are socially awkward. I met very few "normal" people in these groups if you will. It seems most people on Meetup attend a ton of events and it was the same handful or weirdos all the time.
lol sorry you've had that experience, some of my closest friends are ones I've met through Meetup or other online groups. There are so many different Meetup groups here, I really think you should give some of the different interest groups a shot. Maybe stay away from the age-limiting ones and do interest based... for instance, there are various wine groups available. I would try to get out of the mentality that everyone else is weird and open yourself up to new experiences rather than blocking them out because you think they're "not normal."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 04:10 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,016 times
Quote:
A lot of people who are in Meetup groups are socially awkward. I met very few "normal" people in these groups if you will. It seems most people on Meetup attend a ton of events and it was the same handful or weirdos all the time.
I agree.

I tried it once as a way to check out events and maybe meet others with common interests or girls to date. It had a very strong "desperate loser/outcast" vibe. The entire time I was praying I wouldn't run into anyone I know and have to introduce them to these weirdos I was hanging out with.

One person from the group tried to pressure me into making future plans. When I said I would think about it he got angry and said I didn't sound very excited. I just met this goof and he wants to be best friends already? Lol.

Never again.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:14 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,527,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
I agree.

I tried it once as a way to check out events and maybe meet others with common interests or girls to date. It had a very strong "desperate loser/outcast" vibe. The entire time I was praying I wouldn't run into anyone I know and have to introduce them to these weirdos I was hanging out with.

One person from the group tried to pressure me into making future plans. When I said I would think about it he got angry and said I didn't sound very excited. I just met this goof and he wants to be best friends already? Lol.

Never again.
lol wow, one experience is not representative of ALL the Meetup groups. I'm surprised you have this mentality since I've seen you really be an advocate for DCers in other threads. And you said you wanted to maybe meet others with common interests and then get freaked out when someone wants to be your friend??

Old 11-28-2016, 07:40 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
lol wow, one experience is not representative of ALL the Meetup groups. I'm surprised you have this mentality since I've seen you really be an advocate for DCers in other threads. And you said you wanted to maybe meet others with common interests and then get freaked out when someone wants to be your friend??
There is no "mentality" here. I described a bad experience which was very similar to the experience RLCMA had. So I agreed with RLCMA.

I say "never again" because I value my time and I have other options. Per example.. think about all the different restaurants in DC. Let's say you try a new restaurant for the first time and its horrible. Then you talk to someone else and they say the same thing. Why would you go back? There are hundreds of other restaurants.

It boils down to time and options. I can meet people without using Meetup, so I do.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:02 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Thanks for the input. I'll look into USS but at 38 I'd probably be one of the older people in this group.
To be honest, I think that at 38 most people who are likely to hang out with you are already married and have kids.

However, maybe the dynamic is a different in certain parts of DC.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:30 AM

11 posts, read 21,454 times
Quote:
That sounds like fun. Any specific venue or company?
Dancing | Baile Has a list off dancing Venues (salsa dancing) and classes.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:38 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,989 times
I like to go sit in the park and say Hi to interesting looking people. Weather can be a factor of course.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:54 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
Try these resources

SKI CLUB OF WASHINGTON, DC the nation's largest ski club, but also has countless Non-ski activities, the year-round

First Class, Inc. - Your Center for Lifelong Learning

Untitled Document Smithsonian Associates - holds countless classes and trips

Welcome to Single Volunteers of DC Website

Potomac Pedalers the nation's largest bicycling club

http://dcsierraclub.org

Homepage of the Center Hiking Club.

Wanderbirds Hiking Club - Home

http://potomacappalachian.org

Washington Women Outdoors Home varied outdoor activities for women

http://www.uua.org Unitarian churches - for liberal people who question orthodox religion, but still want to help society

Old 12-02-2016, 04:12 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Try these resources

SKI CLUB OF WASHINGTON, DC the nation's largest ski club, but also has countless Non-ski activities, the year-round

First Class, Inc. - Your Center for Lifelong Learning

Untitled Document Smithsonian Associates - holds countless classes and trips

Welcome to Single Volunteers of DC Website

Potomac Pedalers the nation's largest bicycling club

http://dcsierraclub.org

Homepage of the Center Hiking Club.

Wanderbirds Hiking Club - Home

http://potomacappalachian.org

Washington Women Outdoors Home varied outdoor activities for women

Unitarian Universalist Association | UUA.org Unitarian churches - for liberal people who question orthodox religion, but still want to help society
Great list! Thanks for posting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: