Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 01:32 PM

13,732 posts, read 15,792,237 times

Advertisements

https://ggwash.org/view/62108/dcs-bl...he-whole-story

Much has been written about D.C. losing its black population; however, D.C. is actually gaining black people, not losing them. The city is just booming and population growth is so high that the percentages are changing. The truth is, D.C. is gaining people of all races at different rates.

2010 D.C. Proper Black Alone Population: 309,048
2010 D.C. Proper Black Alone including People with Two or More Races Population: 315,601

2015 D.C. Proper Black Alone Population: 316,447 (+2.39% growth rate)
2015 D.C. Proper Black Alone including People with Two or More Races Population: 324,552 (+2.84% growth rate)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 08:34 AM

2,753 posts, read 2,429,841 times
Mostly transplants I assume? Many of my peers have moved to DC after graduating undergrad recently

Old 01-26-2017, 09:20 AM

741 posts, read 1,115,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Mostly transplants I assume? Many of my peers have moved to DC after graduating undergrad recently
I would also wager at least some of those are DC natives that moved to the burbs some time ago and then moved back into DC over the last 5 years. I know some blacks personally that have done that recently.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:45 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,525,021 times
DC is mostly losing "poor people" not people of a certain racial group.

But since everyone in this country is obsessed with race they turn every economic issue into a racial issue and make claims like "DC is losing blacks". DC is losing poor people. The race doesn't matter.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:02 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,437,457 times
But since everyone in this country is obsessed with race they turn every economic issue into a racial issue and make claims like "DC is losing blacks".

*What makes you think everyone is obsessed with race?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post

But since everyone in this country is obsessed with race they turn every economic issue into a racial issue and make claims like "DC is losing blacks". DC is losing poor people. The race doesn't matter.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:21 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,138 posts, read 7,595,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post

*What makes you think everyone is obsessed with race?
!
Lol for one have you seen some of the posters in this forum?

Beyond that race is probably the most overly objectified and talked about subject in all of media, and entertaiment in modern history. Every single time you turn around there is either a new movie or tv show about it. All the number one topics in the sports debate are centered around it. Social media is FLOODED with race related memes and topics all day long. A person growing up in the US today could never escape the topic of race relations in this country through our current media and outlets.

Old 01-27-2017, 05:59 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,145,006 times
Quote:

Don't tell Trump, he thinks the only black people are poor and urban.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:15 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,525,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Its important for all populations to grow in DC. We want to grow and we want to remain diverse. The more total growth and increase in taxes and income, the better off the city will be.
DC needs to grow with high quality people and lose low quality people (criminals, crackheads, etc.).

Old 01-27-2017, 12:19 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,269,143 times
Quote:
DC needs to grow with high quality people and lose low quality people (criminals, crackheads, etc.).
Actually, there is an option to have the community provide amenities to reform "low quality" people (clinics, counseling, employment services). We don't have to lose them.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:31 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,634,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
Actually, there is an option to have the community provide amenities to reform "low quality" people (clinics, counseling, employment services). We don't have to lose them.

Personally, I like the gentrification DC is going through. I'm all for this city improving and becoming more affluent. Yes it will push people out but it all comes down to supply and demand. If I weren't able to live here I would move out and go to a place affordable for me. Unfortunately since DC is so democratic handouts are all too common. I'm not an advocate of handouts such as the affordable housing program as so many people in this program are lazy. People need to work and live within their means without the government (tax payers) footing the bill for these people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: