Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 05:49 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post

Washington DC has been improving the entire time I’ve lived in this area. I am proud of this milestone and am looking forward to 800,000.

I am even a fan of the Federal government. Democrats, Republicans, I love you all! 🇺🇸
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 08:24 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
They don't count.

And with the vast majority of all federal employees -- about 79 percent -- working outside the D.C. region.. you can bet there are contractors, lobbyists, lawyers, accountants, etc. working for those Government agencies outside of DC as well.
Technically they "don't count," but it's splitting hairs really. It's just a bit baffling to me that somehow, DC playing the role it was created to play as the nation's capital is seen as a negative thing.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:37 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,520,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Technically they "don't count," but it's splitting hairs really. It's just a bit baffling to me that somehow, DC playing the role it was created to play as the nation's capital is seen as a negative thing.
Who said DC playing its role as the nation's capital is a negative thing?

No where in these posts do I see anyone saying that.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:25 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,662,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
The definition of transient is "lasting only a short time". When people say DC is transient you have to remember this is a primarily a government city. A lot of people who work for the government leave if their is a change of House/Senate majority, the delegate they work for loses re-election or decides not to run again, etc. This city is also the headquarters for the vast majority of trade unions, non-profit organizations, think tanks, and so on. People use DC as a springboard for their careers. They may not make as much money as in the private sector but coming to DC for an average of 3-5 years in their early-mid 20's allows them to create a solid resume which they can use to make more money in another large metropolitan area or for a high paying career or government role back in their hometown.
DC has the highest median income in the country.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:24 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,647,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yeah, I agree. It's kinda hard to say that they don't count, when in fact, those gov't contractors are a key factor into adding into the population of DC.

I used to be a contractor and I can tell you that many people moved from Middleofnowhere, Iowa for their role. Some "resume build" for a few years and leave, and some stay. In the agency I was in, about half of the workforce were contractors and the other half were feds.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:18 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC4ever View Post
Median population density is probably a better way to convey density. DC has a median population density of 20,000 ppsm.
https://ggwash.org/view/65370/median...lation-density
Interesting. Never heard of that method. Will look more into that.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:54 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Who said DC playing its role as the nation's capital is a negative thing?

No where in these posts do I see anyone saying that.
That is often the implication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: