Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 10:26 PM

29 posts, read 27,595 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I currently live in San Diego where our homeless population keeps growing. There are tents and people sleeping on the streets in pretty busy areas. I’ll put it this way, you get used to stepping over people in sleeping bags in certain neighborhoods. All of this is to ask - how is the homeless situation in DC? Are there many areas where you would feel like you were passing through someone’s living room on your way to work or to the store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 10:56 AM

850 posts, read 1,132,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatertothotbot View Post
Hi all,
I currently live in San Diego where our homeless population keeps growing. There are tents and people sleeping on the streets in pretty busy areas. I’ll put it this way, you get used to stepping over people in sleeping bags in certain neighborhoods. All of this is to ask - how is the homeless situation in DC? Are there many areas where you would feel like you were passing through someone’s living room on your way to work or to the store?
I can only speak for the Union Station area. Overall they are not as pronounced, but if you walk down first street towards NoMa (Northern Massachusetts Ave) there's a "micro" tent-city under a bridge. In front of Union Station right in the covered arched walkway, you see a few homeless every day sleeping in the corner etc under the covered area. They seem to come and later seem to disappear.

On first and Mass (I call it the poor corner), there's several poor people just hanging out there on the corner talking and loitering, it seems like this every day. The police don't do much and even when they get out of hand the police come and leave.

If you walk down Mass towards GPO (Gov printing office), you'd get to this little community center where they take in feed and care for poor people, so you'd see them hanging around there all the time.

That's it....

In terms of the National Mall area, you never see them, I've never seen them around the touristy areas. I never see them around the monuments, never see them around the capitol grounds, capital hill etc.. Not around the Dirksen, Russell, Hart, etc...

Old 07-12-2018, 10:59 AM

In addition you have the full functional crazy people.

There's this Korean guy that sings bible verses with a white sign talking about Jesus and we are all going straight to hell every day. He stands in the center of Columbus Circle every day doing this.

Then you have a fat black dude that gives public prayers to people. He spends much of his time yelling about how homesexuality is a sin before christ and lesbians will go straight to hell.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:22 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinthrax View Post
I

On first and Mass (I call it the poor corner), there's several poor people just hanging out there on the corner talking and loitering, it seems like this every day. The police don't do much and even when they get out of hand the police come and leave.

What do you want the police to do? It isn't illegal to loiter on a street corner. Should the police be responsible for shooing these people away so you don't have to see poor people as you walk by?

Old 07-12-2018, 07:16 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,983 times
I'm from East County.
Its nowhere near as bad as Horton Plaza tho there are definitely parts here and there. The Hepatitis, TB and other literal crap that you find in a lot of SD is not here yet tho, like LA/SF we are starting to see sht and sickness on the subway cars rarely.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
In addition you have the full functional crazy people.

There's this Korean guy that sings bible verses with a white sign talking about Jesus and we are all going straight to hell every day. He stands in the center of Columbus Circle every day doing this.

Then you have a fat black dude that gives public prayers to people. He spends much of his time yelling about how homesexuality is a sin before christ and lesbians will go straight to hell.
ah yes - every city has a sprinkle of people that have these 'jobs'.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
I'm from East County.
Its nowhere near as bad as Horton Plaza tho there are definitely parts here and there. The Hepatitis, TB and other literal crap that you find in a lot of SD is not here yet tho, like LA/SF we are starting to see sht and sickness on the subway cars rarely.
Good to know it's not there - hopefully it stays that way for awhile.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
What do you want the police to do? It isn't illegal to loiter on a street corner. Should the police be responsible for shooing these people away so you don't have to see poor people as you walk by?
The police allows them to get away with more than you and I would get away with. Simply because they are poor and can't really be legally forced to do anything. They lack income.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:37 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
The police allows them to get away with more than you and I would get away with. Simply because they are poor and can't really be legally forced to do anything. They lack income.
What are they "getting away with"? Anyone is allowed to stand on a street corner and talk for hours.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
What are they "getting away with"? Anyone is allowed to stand on a street corner and talk for hours.
They crowd the sidewalk, impeding traffic, they loiter, they smell like **** as I walk by. They block up the sidewalk as they lounge against the post office building wall. They occasionally get out of hand and police are called, in which case they shout and verbally abuse the police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC