Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 11:33 AM

590 posts, read 1,012,696 times

Advertisements

I know this sounds as as "duh" question, because I read everywhere that pretty much everything one wants to visit (first time in DC) is Downtown.

However, I see that a lot of stuff is also in Capitol Hill, Dupont and Logan, so I was wondering: is downtown the best place to stay?

My wife and I lan to do a lot of walking and public transport, we are Italians and try to take every opportunity to enjoy a city feeling. After NY and several trips to Chicago, we decided to finally visit DC, and get our fix of art, culture, museums etc..We live in Palm Beach Cty, South Florida, so there ain't much of that down here.

Any tip is appreciated.

We want to visit the main political and cultural attractions, but also plan to walk outside of downtown, Dupont and Logan seems interesting, and would like to make it to Adams Morgan and Georgetown, but it could be too much (we take our time...).

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 05:20 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,399,696 times
You left out some key info:

What is your price range?
What are you looking for in hotel amenities? (i.e Are you a Four Seasons/RitzCarlton or Econolodge/Extended Stay kind of customer?)
Will you be arriving/departing via public transit to/from the hotel or do you need parking for your own car or a rental?
Do you need four star restaurants within walking distance or onsite? Or, instead, will you be happy with takeout from a 7/11 or McDonalds?

Last edited by ersatz; 10-11-2018 at 05:30 PM..

Old 10-12-2018, 07:32 AM

Hotel: we normally go to good hotels on vacation, but don't have a favorite. I will probably just use Priceline.
We are flying from West Palm Beach and will use public transportation and walking in DC. I will be very happy to forget I have a car.

Restaurants: we love good food but that doesn't always mean 4-5 stars restaurantn the USA. While we don't care about fast food, we have no problem with simple restaurants, some of my favorites in Miami are holes in the wall.

Definitely would like to try a DC classic restaurant, some good ethnic restaurants (not Cubans as I have them down here).

Same goes for shopping: we don't come to shop but we are going to look at some of the particular shops you have in your town. I already made a kind of plan to include Adams Morgans and Georgetown.

Considering we are going to spend some time around National Mall, I think what IAM looking for is a place that can be central so that I can easily reach NM, downtown, Dupont, Logan and without worrying about coming back in the evening from the metro (I'm am with my wife, so the concept of safety is much different than when I'm by myself or with buddies).

Thank you in advance, I appreciate your time.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:29 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
The central Marriott is very nice and you can walk to the NM. You might need a taxi for some of your other destinations. If you stay during the week it's cheaper than weekends.

I particularly enjoyed Adams Morgan where the multitude of ethnic restaurants were fun and delicious. We had Ethiopian one night, Argentine the next. Thai for lunch.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:09 AM

Thank you. I was planning to get the Smart Card due metro/buses and I think they have a trolley system as well

Old 10-12-2018, 09:37 AM

mmm. I also just noticed. The metro lines seem to be all going on the same path (almost). None is going to Georgetown, none to Logan Circle...
As I am here, how is taking the green or yellow Northbound, say toward Columbia Heights? Worth going? Safety?

Also, if I draw a square limited by Military Rd (north), Navy Yard south, Georgetown west and Lincoln Park east, should I be aware of any area unsafe to be walking with my wife? Or to use public transp in the evening hours?

Thank you.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:49 PM

Metrorail does not service Georgetown. When the system was originally built, the local togography and high water table made the underground stations uneconomically feasible. Various metro buses ply the area. https://www.wmata.com/schedules/maps...m-Map-2018.pdf You have to have a Smartrip card now, I believe the system no longer accepts cash except at the farecard machines.

Personally, I recommend the DC Circulator. Various routes service many of the spots you mentioned in Georgetown and nearby areas, including a block from Logan Circle. Interactive Map | Washington D.C. Circulator

If you want to stay near the National Mall, you may want to see if you can get a reasonable rate at the Willard Hotel. This old landmark hotel has a notable history in Washington DC and has hosted many famous guests. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willar...tal_Washington My family has stayed at the Holiday Inn near the NM and found it acceptable and very convenient. I have stayed at State Plaza, which is cheap for the area, closer to Georgetown, has kitchenettes and is only a couple blocks from the Lincoln Memorial or the Kennedy Center.

If you want many dining options, in addition to Adams Morgan I recommend going a few blocks south to Dupont Circle. Almost every block around that area has at least five or six restaurants. Most of them post their menus on the sidewalk, so you can stroll along and see what appeals to you. I wouldn't recommend staying in that area too late in the evening. When you are near the White House, you may want to stop in Old Ebbitt Grill, the oldest restaurant in DC, technically. It's not in the original buildings, it moved to its present site in 1983. However many famous people, particularly politicians, eat there.

As far as street crime goes, common sense applies. In the more touristy areas (National Mall, Georgetown) you should be fine after dark as long as you stick to well lit areas with lots of pedestrians. I can't speak to the areas near the Navy Yard and Lincoln Park. When I used to regularly visit those areas in the 70's and 80's, they were sketchy. I don't know if they have improved, as I have no reason to venture past Eastern Market. Eastern Market also has a lot of eating options. It used to be very sketchy, but has somewhat improved over the years as a lot of capital was spent gentrifying the area. There's still significant crime in that area, and I would not recommend visiting it after dark.

Last edited by ersatz; 10-12-2018 at 08:35 PM..

Old 10-13-2018, 05:08 AM

1,891 posts, read 2,531,567 times
Assuming you can afford it, downtown would be the best place to stay. Logan and Dupont Circle are very close to downtown. The National Mall where many of the attractions are located are easily within walking distance. I've stayed just outside downtown and found it to be central, though there is a lot of walking to do. Keep in mind the National Mall itself is about 2 miles from end to end. I've walked from downtown to the Capital and while doable it was quite a hike. You can probably walk to Georgetown too. If for some reason you find the walk too much you can always catch Uber, though traffic in the city can be terrible. I've never caught the bus so not sure about that. The Metro is easy and fast, though it'll get crowded in rush hour.

The best piece of advice I can give you is to look at Google Maps. I've found it to be a tremendous resource when planning a trip. Look for hotels on the map. Not only can you see prices, but you can see where on the map they are located. You can also see how long it'll take to either drive, use public transport or walk between two locations. Download the app on your phone to if you haven't already. I've rarely been disappointed when using it. I know I sound like a salesman but it's really helped me a lot when I travel.

Old 10-13-2018, 07:08 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
Metrorail does not service Georgetown. When the system was originally built, the local togography and high water table made the underground stations uneconomically feasible.
Not to derail the thread but that's not actually true. Foggy Bottom has a higher water table and less elevation than Georgetown, yet has a station well underground. Georgetown residents at the time were up in arms about it and didn't want the "riff-raff" brought in from other neighborhoods...and somehow their actions won out.

Old 10-13-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Not to derail the thread but that's not actually true. Foggy Bottom has a higher water table and less elevation than Georgetown, yet has a station well underground. Georgetown residents at the time were up in arms about it and didn't want the "riff-raff" brought in from other neighborhoods...and somehow their actions won out.
That's been discussed many times for many years. DC Mythbusting: Georgetown Metro Stop | We Love DC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: