Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 09:37 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,565,694 times

Advertisements

I think this is pretty awesome for those families in NE DC and west PG County.

Quote:
Fort Totten is getting a lot of attention from developers this year, and now an older project is picking up where it left off, albeit with a very eye-catching detail.

The Morris and Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation is seeking zoning review for the mixed-use Art Place Fort Totten. The development team has filed applications for a second-stage planned unit development (PUD) review and a modification of the first-stage PUD first approved in December 2009. This was first reported by Next Stop...Riggs Park.

https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/bl...nts-to-a/14402
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 07:39 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,520,966 times
That is one sexy development.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:07 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,487,187 times
This looks exciting. I hope there will be ample parking for us car folks. I know a lot of DC folks now bike, bird, etc., but some of us still drive.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post
This looks exciting. I hope there will be ample parking for us car folks. I know a lot of DC folks now bike, bird, etc., but some of us still drive.
Parking often takes up and wastes land that can be used for more density. So I hope there is very little parking.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:23 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Parking often takes up and wastes land that can be used for more density. So I hope there is very little parking.
I'm never opposed to underground parking however that does not break up the street grid, store fronts, or vibrancy.

For example, The Wharf has underground parking completely hidden from the majority of eyes.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:51 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,539,428 times
There will be on-site parking, and additional nearby public parking (the Fort Totten station, for instance).

The big downside to underground parking is that it is expensive to build. That either means that drivers will have to pay a lot of money to park there, or rents will have to be higher to make up the cost.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I'm never opposed to underground parking however that does not break up the street grid, store fronts, or vibrancy.

For example, The Wharf has underground parking completely hidden from the majority of eyes.
Sure, I was talking about parking above ground or in a garage. Anything underground is fine. They can build parking to the core of the earth if they want, just leave the land area for more density.

Old 09-15-2018, 06:22 AM

857 posts, read 1,200,477 times
Looks nice...i cant lie.....

Im surprised theyre building something like that there that area isnt impoverished and downtrodden....just highly residential......

youre gonna need a parking garage and thats probably what theyre gonna build. its right off South Dakota ave, a major thoroughfare. Drivers will see it and be like "ooh whats this??" and then theyll have to find a parking spot. might as well build a parking garage to accommodate car traffic that passes by....

Old 09-16-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
Looks nice...i cant lie.....

Im surprised theyre building something like that there that area isnt impoverished and downtrodden....just highly residential......

youre gonna need a parking garage and thats probably what theyre gonna build. its right off South Dakota ave, a major thoroughfare. Drivers will see it and be like "ooh whats this??" and then theyll have to find a parking spot. might as well build a parking garage to accommodate car traffic that passes by....
DC has a goal to lower car traffic and increase the use of public transit and other types of transportation. Building lots of parking is a step in the wrong direction in my opinion.

But as long as the parking is underground and doesn't hinder adding density to the area I don't mind.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:40 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,565,694 times
Trader Joes still avoiding certain neighborhoods I see.

Quote:
The developer has long been targeting a grocery store for a second phase and had reached out to companies such as Trader Joe's and Mom's Organic Market, Bozzuto General Manager Danielle Nery told Bisnow in 2017.

https://www.bisnow.com/washington-dc...elopment-97329

Attached Thumbnails
Entertainment Venue Planned For Fort Totten-traderjoes.png  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC